Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

School me on Wheel Guns

I must be getting old, because I used to think Revolvers were for old people.... well here I am.

My buddy used to have a Colt Python from the late 70's that I loved, but I think prices on the snake guns have gone full retard.

I'm considering a Smith and Wesson 686 4" or a 629 5" Or Both. I just want to shoot .357, not really interested in 44. Any other models I should consider? Ruger GP100?

On a side note anyone shoot 22lr Revolvers? Just as fun as their semiauto counterparts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicholas Irving and I share the distinction of shooting this twice and saying "No mas!". Good to know I can hang with the Reaper in some respects.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^ always wanted to shoot one of those hand cannons

I have 2 smith revolvers, a model 10 and a model 30 (I think I’m telling you right) They were both my grandads, .38spl and a .32. He always gave me a hard time because he did not trust semi autos. Never gave a reason, just said he didn’t trust them. Even when he was pushing 90 years old he was still pretty dangerous with any pistol I ever saw him hold.

I like the old smiths, these guns are decades old and run like a sewing machine. If I found one of them in a .357 I would likely jump on it.

I also have a Moore .32 “teat fire” that was my great grandads and my grandads Mexican made .32 long, I can’t for the life of me remember the make of it.
    Last edited by KW900A; 25 November 2017 at 18:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    ^^^ always wanted to shoot one of those hand cannons.
    Trust me, you only want to shoot one somebody else owns. Unless you camp in bear country, or need bragging rights that badly, it's just a painful shooter!

There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do a little recreational .357 shooting with a 7-shot adjustable sight and ported 4in Taurus Tracker. With my reloads it shoots remarkably well. Now and then I send a few down range with my S&W 3in Model 65. Eh... makes a lot of noise like a .357 should. If revolvers weren't such a PIA to clean my Tracker would see a lot more range time.
    The 686 you're considering is an excellent choice.

Love my .38 snubbies but that doesn't sound like what you're interested in.

.22LR? Can't do better than a S&W 617 but revolvers don't suppress. Once I started shooting suppressed rimfire I can't go back. Autoloaders only.

Obligatory pics..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Trust me, you only want to shoot one somebody else owns. Unless you camp in bear country, or need bragging rights that badly, it's just a painful shooter!

I believe you haha. No one I know (that I’m aware of) owns one. When I think of shooting one of them I can’t help but think of jack Nicholson in the first Batman movie when he pulled the revolver out of his pants with the 3 foot barrel and shot down the batplane

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never got into revolvers, but a couple of the old-timers I shot with when I shot ICORE (with my semi-auto) were high on the 686. I've fired one and it was a very nice shooter, although who knows how much work had been put into it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I owned a stainless 686 that at one time belonged to the Colorado State Patrol. Guessing it was massaged by their smith, 'cause it had an amazing action. Sorry I sold it, that is one that got away. Pick one up, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I shoot an LCR in .22LR fairly often. It was hard to find and super expensive. It's very unforgiving, so it really makes you work on the fundamentals. If you can hit with that thing, you're good to go with just about any handgun IMO.

The big-bore revolvers look super cool but they can be painful to shoot, so they stay in the safe. I had a 454 Casul for a while and after a few rounds I was done. No point really, other than just fondling it.

My $.02, for what it's worth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I owned a stainless 686 that at one time belonged to the Colorado State Patrol. Guessing it was massaged by their smith, 'cause it had an amazing action. Sorry I sold it, that is one that got away. Pick one up, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I shoot an LCR in .22LR fairly often. It was hard to find and super expensive. It's very unforgiving, so it really makes you work on the fundamentals. If you can hit with that thing, you're good to go with just about any handgun IMO.

The big-bore revolvers look super cool but they can be painful to shoot, so they stay in the safe. I had a 454 Casul for a while and after a few rounds I was done. No point really, other than just fondling it.

Agree 100% on the big bore stupidity. Shot 3 rounds out of my .460. The side blast toppled a spotting scope on the bench and I permanently damaged my hearing forgetting to slip my ear pro over my ear. Sold that piece of insanity back to my LGS the next day. No idea how you could ever hunt with one of those. Sit all day with ear muffs on I guess. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a few Snakes and constantly consider unloading them but the prices keep ascending. I don't feel they are worth the current market prices.

Love my Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 for hunting and keep a S&W 640 in .357 in my bedroom. Always loved shooting my revolvers. Never shot .22's much but my father has a few he loves.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nighthawk/Korth if you can part with the cash.

I have been eyeballing a Performance Center 989 in 9mm for a while now, just as something fun to mess around with.

Thunder ranch used to make an R8 chambered in .45 ACP which seemed interesting as well.

Anything ported is fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I must be getting old, because I used to think Revolvers were for old people.... well here I am.

My buddy used to have a Colt Python from the late 70's that I loved, but I think prices on the snake guns have gone full retard.

I'm considering a Smith and Wesson 686 4" or a 629 5" Or Both. I just want to shoot .357, not really interested in 44. Any other models I should consider? Ruger GP100?

On a side note anyone shoot 22lr Revolvers? Just as fun as their semiauto counterparts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post

Thanks for the first hand experience Dave. I agree that's why I only wanted to shoot .38 and .357. The bigger bore calibers don't interest me at all. I actually want to enjoy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I have a few Snakes and constantly consider unloading them but the prices keep ascending. I don't feel they are worth the current market prices.

Love my Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 for hunting and keep a S&W 640 in .357 in my bedroom. Always loved shooting my revolvers. Never shot .22's much but my father has a few he loves.
    I'd love to get a Python, (stainless 4 or 6") but I agree I don't think they're worth what the market will bear right now. I'm more of a buyer at 1200-1500, but I don't see prices going the other way. Colt could cash in if they released some new Revolvers, but that's not going to happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Nighthawk/Korth if you can part with the cash.

I have been eyeballing a Performance Center 989 in 9mm for a while now, just as something fun to mess around with.

Thunder ranch used to make an R8 chambered in .45 ACP which seemed interesting as well.

Anything ported is fun too.
    Funny you mention the Nighthawk. That's what really piqued my interest. Rainier got a few of those in months back and just handling it, made me want one. I'll probably just start with a 686 and see if I want to buy more than 1.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UW, you might want to consider a 687. It's a stainless 7 shot 357 and a very nice pistol. Their 4" has adjustable rear sights on is very controllable. I handloaded some 125 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavities that are true "punkin rollers", but usually stay slightly below factory loadings. I really enjoy the revolvers ... but like you said, I'm an old man
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wheel guns are fun when your feeling nostalgic....

First gun I shot was a smith 22 then a 38 , grew up shooting an anaconda.. which I think my father still has..onto my first pistol which was a 44 mag...

357,45acp, or 9mm would be my pick for a wheel gun nowadays..

Have had a few Ruger gp100’s (favorite was the 5” model) good guns, heavy stout built guns, had a 586 and 686 good guns also. Almost traded into a 687 but it just felt too big/bulky for me..

I don’t currently own any... I like em but never got hooked on em, would like to get another gp100 one of these days or a Smith 45 acp

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might have a few revolvers lying around. I'll freely admit to enjoying plinking with them, probably a throwback to my days of learning to shoot, firing at sticks floating down the river behind my house. In the days of expensive .22 LR, the revolvers' lower throughput was an added bonus.

I've attached a photo of a 3-screw Ruger Single Six and a S&M K22 Masterpiece, there's also a High Standard Double Nine lying around that I haven't photographed. All are older than I am (saying something) and remain fine-shooting firearms, though I prefer both the feel and sentimental attachment of the Ruger.

17118628557_3adc62b25f_k.jpg

I've been seriously considering a Ruger 0627 (.22 LR/WMR Stainless Convertible) and if the company ever shortened the barrel on the .17 HMR variant, I would make a trip to the LGS immediately. Definitely fun stuff and I reach for the revolvers over any other rimfire handgun I own.

There are some larger calibers in the vault too. Among them is an old 13-3 K-Frame that's similar to a contemporary Model 66. It's a wonderful (though seldom-used) gun, running .38 Special or light .357 handloads instead of full throttle factory rounds. Based on my experience, 4" .357's are a perfect balance of size and punch. That 686 you mentioned would probably be my top choice - fantastic barrel length and you benefit from the beefier L-Frame. The Model 27 is the only other S&W .357 I would point out to you, but I suspect the 686 is more in your wheelhouse.

The grip angle on the Ruger GP100 has always seemed a little steep to me - the SP101 seems more conventional and I would give it a look if you're a Ruger fan.