Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

150 Grain SMK (Extreme Long Range Bullet)

I was plundering around the internet and I ran across this:

Name:  1755_box.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  309.4 KB

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...mm-150-gr-HPBT

A 150 grain 6.5mm (.264) bullet with a BC of .713!!!! That is absolutely INSANE! For those of us who want to do some really long range shooting (and as I plan out my future long range rig) here are some points of interest.

With that bullet loaded to 2600 FPS it will still be supersonic out past 1600 yards on your average 80 degree day. Holy smokes man.

If you look at some of the load data people have put up they can push these bullets out at up to 2800 FPS.

Here are a few other links so you can read up on it yourself if you're interested.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/0...oor-load-data/

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/1...chking-bullet/

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/10/6-5...matchking-smk/

In that bottom link the guy got a group that was .339 inches and at the same time achieved 2621 FPS out of a 1:8 twist gun.

Wow. I think when I finally get around to buying or building a bolt gun I might go straight for the 6.5 CM.

Out of curiosity I have only found one barrel maker that will make a twist faster than 1:8 in 6.5CM. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to get one that is 1:7 (Sierra recommends 1:7.5 or faster twist rates)

Downloads
    Uploads
    With that bullet and a Vortex Razor HD Gen II you can pull 1000 yard shots without even adjusting your turrets!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The numbers are amazing....I just don’t have anywhere to shoot that would do calibers like 6.5CM, .338LM etc justice. The longest range I can get to is 600yds and it’s invite only; my membership range is 300yds

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    The numbers are amazing....I just don’t have anywhere to shoot that would do calibers like 6.5CM, .338LM etc justice. The longest range I can get to is 600yds and it’s invite only; my membership range is 300yds
    I am very fortunate in this regard. At present I have access to 1,400. Going out to 1600 or even a mile is possible at that spot but I might have to hunt around for alternatives. If anything happens where I don't or can't go there anymore I will have to figure out something new.

Still though, I think this could be a lot easier shooting that a .308 so in an overall sense of the word, for me at least it might be a better bang for my buck. I could just build or buy one gun that can do really long range stuff and at the same time have a round that can do whatever I would need it to both shorter (relatively speaking) and at longer ranges.

One caliber and that's that. I am pretty sure a 6.5 bullet could knock down bambi but then again I don't hunt that often. Considering that I would probably put $5000 bucks (including optics) or more into one gun this caliber seems to be able to scratch all itches. And on top of that even if I load with these bullets 100% of the time my reloads would still be substantially cheaper than trying to go .338 or anything like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As compelling as 6.5 CM is, I'm really tempted by .224 Valkrie. Damn near identical in flight ballistics and hangs with the CM for a fer piece.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    As compelling as 6.5 CM is, I'm really tempted by .224 Valkrie. Damn near identical in flight ballistics and hangs with the CM for a fer piece.

Yes. I have been looking at that too. I am not one to jump on untested things so I will let others sort out the details first. It's not ruled out by far at this point. Who knows. If I come into a lot of money one of these days I will have a lot more options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Yes. I have been looking at that too. I am not one to jump on untested things so I will let others sort out the details first. It's not ruled out by far at this point. Who knows. If I come into a lot of money one of these days I will have a lot more options.
    The Optimus Micro is rated for 224 Valkyrie

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am already on board on that one. I am going to get one. I am sort of in cash conservation mode but I might ask for a few gift certificates to Silencer Shop for Christmas to help with that.

It's pretty much chalked up already. I just need to get my ass online and order one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Recce 7 and a Recce 5 in jail right now though. I figure get the NFA stuff first then I can back fill on guns for them later. Maybe that's backwards thinking but that's how I'm doing it. LOL

I have been really trying to get the micro out of my mind but it's a futile attempt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Valkyrie has some good looking stats. If the support comes in for dies,brass etc...I would probably need one..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Advertised BC and actual BC are two totally different beasts. Then there's the issue of consistency from lot to lot, and the fact that they're still not tipping them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah... No. Maybe you're thinking against the 6.5 Grendel. At 1K+ you're looking at roughly an extra .4-.5+mil for a 10mph value, and an extra 1.7-2 mils in elevation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright guys, as much as a like wildcats and guys interested in getting into long range shooting, I'm going to be blunt. For under 1K yds, sure, it has it's merits. But, the comparisons at long distances well beyond 1K to a 6.5CM, 6.5x47, 6.5 Addiction, 6 Dasher, SLR, or whatever flavor... not really a comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I stand corrected, not that I really GAF. Since you apparently don't suffer less experienced people very well, how about you hit the ignore button, Chief?

There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I stand corrected, not that I really GAF. Since you apparently don't suffer less experienced people very well, how about you hit the ignore button, Chief?

You really take shit way to personal there "chief." You made a statement about ballistics that was incorrect. I didn't say you were a retard, but simply that you might have it confused with the Grendel, and then gave you information regarding the actual differences. How about instead of me putting you on ignore, so you can feel good about saying whatever you want without ever being corrected, you instead realize your on an internet forum, and therefore you will encounter differing opinions. If you really don't GAF, then why even bother responding?