Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most quality can companies have good policies to repair/replace. Get a quality can from a quality company and you won't have to worry about any issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Tom, this is what sold me on the Griffin. Skip to 5:40 if you like.

It runs nicely on anything from .22 up to 300 Win Mag. I don't shoot a lot of sustained fire simply to avoid burning the living bejeezus out of my legs when it's slung out of the way. With that kind of regimen and a decent cleaning now and then, it should outlive you. Get it and enjoy!
    Damn, that's freaking red hot. Then shoots 1in. groups after. Almost hard to believe.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Damn, that's freaking red hot. Then shoots 1in. groups after. Almost hard to believe.
    If you were going to get a suppressor... let's just ask in theory... what is the primary types of guns you would like to run it on and for what reason?

Would it be a pistol or a rifle? Would it be an AR or a bolt action? Would it be for hunting or target shooting, etc etc?

What would your preference be in the way of a suppressed firearm?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If you were going to get a suppressor... let's just ask in theory... what is the primary types of guns you would like to run it on and for what reason?

Would it be a pistol or a rifle? Would it be an AR or a bolt action? Would it be for hunting or target shooting, etc etc?

What would your preference be in the way of a suppressed firearm?
    Alamo, if I did, and I doubt I will, it would be for a LR-10 or AR 15, or both, primarily for target shooting. Probably mostly for range use where I don't blast the guy/gal's next to me with 7.62 with a loud as hell brake hanging off the end.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo, if I did, and I doubt I will, it would be for a LR-10 or AR 15, or both, primarily for target shooting. Probably mostly for range use where I don't blast the guy/gal's next to me with 7.62 with a loud as hell brake hanging off the end.

FT
    If all you're doing is plinking (and I'm NOT using that word in a derogatory sense) at the range, especially with .30 cal, I just don't see why you wouldn't want a can (barring budget and/or state law limitations). It's just such a more pleasurable experience.

I understand many are opposed to the idea of the NFA, and if that's one's stand, fine. But if that's not the issue (for anyone, not just picking on you, FT), a suppressor is a very "nice to have."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    If all you're doing is plinking (and I'm NOT using that word in a derogatory sense) at the range, especially with .30 cal, I just don't see why you wouldn't want a can (barring budget and/or state law limitations). It's just such a more pleasurable experience.

I understand many are opposed to the idea of the NFA, and if that's one's stand, fine. But if that's not the issue (for anyone, not just picking on you, FT), a suppressor is a very "nice to have."
    Gator,
    I'm not opposed to the idea of the NFA, it's just that my one and only foray into NFA items was such a pain in the ass, that once I finally got rid of that thing, (SBR), I swore never, ever to screw with it (NFA items) again. I know most people don't mind the process, especially trying to get rid of an item, the costs, the waiting times etc. I say go for it. And the price for 1 or 2 wouldn't break the piggy bank, so no objections there. Another morbid reason is that at nearly 60, I could be sitting on the couch drinking a cup of coffee, and "Pow" my ticker blows. I don't want to leave a safe full of NFA stuff for a family member to figure out what to do with it. I really don't have any close relatives that are "gun people" anymore.

But to your first point, yeah, pretty much "plinking" at paper at the range. If shooting terrorist members were legal, and they sold them as targets at the range, I might expand my horizons as far as the number or rounds fired while plinking.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 7 December 2017 at 13:25.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess the idea of being "married" to your NFA stuff is supposed to be at least okay, if not appealing (No offense meant!). A can is much more of a useful, lifetime kind of thing. It certainly isn't the game to be in for liquidity of assets, or if you're a flipper. Basically, the mentality you need to have is that the funds for that item no longer exist in an accessible way, however you now possess something a very small minority of gun owners have exactly because of the bother and expense, but also because it signifies your enthusiasm for guns, the same way your NRA Life Member tagline does.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator,
    I'm not opposed to the idea of the NFA, it's just that my one and only foray into NFA items was such a pain in the ass, that once I finally got rid of that thing, (SBR), I swore never, ever to screw with it (NFA items) again. I know most people don't mind the process, especially trying to get rid of an item, the costs, the waiting times etc. I say go for it. And the price for 1 or 2 wouldn't break the piggy bank, so no objections there. Another morbid reason is that at nearly 60, I could be sitting on the couch drinking a cup of coffee, and "Pow" my ticker blows. I don't want to leave a safe full of NFA stuff for a family member to figure out what to do with it. I really don't have any close relatives that are "gun people" anymore.

But to your first point, yeah, pretty much "plinking" at paper at the range. If shooting terrorist members were legal, and they sold them as targets at the range, I might expand my horizons as far as the number or rounds fired while plinking.

FT
    If you’ve got your items in trust, they can be sold IN STATE to an 18+ year old in an estate type sale; a class III dealer can help. Individually registered items can be Form 5’d tax free to a beneficiary. Just have a folder with your stamp(s) and instructions along with a dealer to contact in the event of your passing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only weapons I've fired with a suppressor were friends, so maybe 90 to 120 rounds at most, semi-auto. I got turned off from the whole NFA thing with my own personal nightmare that isn't worth the time to go into here. I'd just get pissed of again if I did.

But my question is: What's the life span of a can under average usage. I know "average" is ambiguous and means different things to different folks, but I guess I mean not full auto all the time, and not 20 rounds a year. Just curious about the "return" rate for the stamp, the can, etc.

Just curious, and maybe some non-can owners here also might be too.

FT
    Honestly? Lifetime, or until a baffle-strike gets it. Then, it's back to Surefire for a $650 re-core.

What do I mean by lifetime? Well, on a 10.3" 5.56, it's going to differ from on your 16" 5.56.

My .22, I only have around 1000 rounds through. There is ZERO wear at all. None. Nada. I can only guess...

On my 5.56 cans, I have one with about 5-7k rounds through, 1/4 of that on a 10.5" gun. It has minor sandblasting of the blast-baffle, but it is also a few ounces heavier. Got some gunk in it.

I expect, since I run my 5.56 cans on 14.5" and longer guns, to get about 30K rounds out of them. The .22 can, well, I suspect a baffle strike will end it before any wear even occurs, really.

How common are baffle strikes? Well, I have had a grand total of ONE in the roughly 8500 rounds I have fired suppressed across all my firearms/cans, and it was very very minor. Surefire offered to take the can in and fix it, gratis, and I declined. It's my "beater" can, I use the hell out of it, and neither accuracy nor sound attenuation was affected, so I am motoring on!

Every item I have is on individual stamp. I prefer it.

ETA: All these people whining about being "married" to something that typically cost less than $2K, won't incur costs during its lifetime, is inanimate, will never nag you, etc. and then turning around asking me "So when you gonna get married". Y'all just miserable AF and want company.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    It depends on how you use it, more than anything else. Heat is the issue, so full-auto and short barrels reduce suppressor life. There are pictures of KAC cans cut in half that had 75K+ through them. My Saker 762 has over 12k rounds through it and the blast baffle, while eroded heavily, still has a lot of life left.
    ...and the guts are are full of crap. If a baffle strike doesn't get you, filling the can up with copper/carbon/copper, will. I have yet to see a QUALITY can that has "been shot out" unless it was something like a hard life on a 7.5" 5.56, and then, see "Baffle strike".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just think, the more you erode the baffles, the less backpressure there is. For a lot of older designs, this is a good thing, and in some cases, will result in less noise at the shooters ear!
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Just think, the more you erode the baffles, the less backpressure there is. For a lot of older designs, this is a good thing, and in some cases, will result in less noise at the shooters ear!
    Awkwardly true!