Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why I bought a Griffin Optimus Micro

I finally pulled the trigger on a rimfire can. I had a lot of choices so I figured I would give a couple of reasons why I chose what I did.

The first reason is I am biased as hell. I like Griffin cans.

I am most definitely interested in other stuff from other manufacturers but Griffin was my first and still is my only (for now). Once this can is out of jail that will make 5 cans... all Griffin. I am just lacking one caliber after these all get out of jail to have all calibers represented. (.45). Ultimately in the long run I might get a second Recce 7 too.

5.56 performance

The Optimus Micro (according to Griffin) meters two different sound levels on a 16" AR. In the short direct thread way it meters 142DB. In the long 'taper mount' configuration it meters 136DB.

136DB you say?

According to Military Arms Channel here are some of their 10 shot averages for their dedicated 5.56 cans on their tests I found on Youtube.

AAC M4 2000-- 136DB
    AAC Mini 4--- 143 DB
    SilencerCo Saker-- 137 DB
    Surefire SoCom--139 DB
    Griffin Armament M4SD-- 137DB

Seeing how all of my ARs wear taper mounts, I will never run that can direct thread on any of my AR's. With that in mind, for a tiny little can like that, 136DB is hanging with some great company. Just direct threading it onto the end of a bare 16" AR barrel with no muzzle device it would be about comparable to the AAC Mini 4.

Also for those of you that run 5.56 through a .30 caliber can--- about 135DB to 138DB is probably a decent guess as to the sound range you would get.

None of these are safe at the ear on an AR so no matter what you will be wearing ear pro. At least I will be unless I am one shot hunting or something.

If Griffin's numbers hold up in independent tests--hell, even if it's within 1 or 2 DB it will be extremely respectable for a tiny little can like that.

Also it can be ran in the taper mount configuration down to 12.5" barrels on an AR.

.22 LR Performance

Griffin says it meters 115DB on a .22LR pistol and 116DB on a 10/22.

By comparison some of my other choices would be the Q El Camino which metered at a little over 114DB on a rifle and right around 117DB on a pistol.

The Rugged Occulus in the long configuration metered around 116DB on a 10/22 and 117DB on a pistol.

Either way you slice it if Griffin's numbers are even remotely close to what they advertise I will be happy. They are right in the ball park with my other top choices for this caliber.

Although I will be running this can almost entirely on .22LR the idea to have a 5.56 backup can is attractive to me.

Other stuff

The three lug attachment system looks awesome but I am not yet 100% decided if I will go that route or not. It does not hurt that those adapters are also compatible with other cans I own. From time to time I go shoot with other people who have cool stuff, so knowing that all these parts--like the three lug adapter are compatible with my 9mm can as well as my .22 can is good. Being able to whip it off there and swap it from rifle to pistol seems pretty nice but I will put more thought into it. It also seems like in that configuration it might be more secure than just threading it on but I could be wrong.

I have not decided yet but it's possible that if I am shooting more than one .22 host I can configure my 9mm can to shoot on the rifle which as is delivers about 117 DB on a 10/22 and I won't have to swap at all. I might have to get two three lug adapters if I set up like that, which is TBD. Or I could say to hell with it and run both of them direct thread.

I am also a fan of over built things. Aluminum tubes and stuff are lighter yes, but not as durable. Scrapes, bumps, dings, all lesser of a worry with a stainless steel can. I like that the Griffin is built like a tank. And I can just throw the baffles in a wet tumbler and not have to worry about it.

The Down Side

The only downside that I could come up with is the weight. It's slightly heavier than my other two options. It's twice the weight of the Q El Camino and 1.6oz heavier than the Rugged suppressor. On a .22 rifle all of those numbers are pretty irrelevant, given of course the weight of your barrel. I tested with what I have and I barely notice anything at all out there. A 9.7 oz K configured Revolution 9 was almost not noticed on my 10/22. On a light .22 pistol the weight of the Micro could make a difference in handling though.

The latter is really my ONLY concern with the can, but I am being picky. If I can shoot a full size revolution 9 (11.2 oz) on a pistol I should probably be able to handle this one at 8.5 oz. The Revolution 9 in the K (short) configuration it has substantially better handling, but even then it's STILL in that configuration 1.2oz heavier than the micro.

All in all the weight is a blessing and a curse. It allows for way more calibers but for a .22 pistol it might get front heavy. If I get the can and absolutely hate the feel of it on a pistol I can always fork out the cash to get the cheaper and lighter El Camino to supplement it.

Conclusion

All in all to get a full auto rated 5.56 can that I can disassemble and clean and shoot all day on a .22LR with great sound reduction, I don't think I made a half bad choice. Anything and everything between a 5.56 and a .22LR ain't half bad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything between .22-250 and .22lr

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Everything between .22-250 and .22lr
    Insert Steve Martin quote here. LOL!!! HAHAA! j/k

Compared to the Rugged Occulus for an 'all in price' I paid $66 bucks more for the mini. I figured $66 bucks is a good trade off for a 22-250 can and a back up 5.56 can.

Plus all of this cross compatibility stuff is good considering I am neck deep in Griffin already. I have more than one mounting option too. Thread on, three lug, and taper mount vs just thread on.

The three lug still intrigues me.

Compared to the Q El Camino I paid exactly $95 more for the same extra options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    3 lug is a pain, at times. For semi auto it's fine, but with full auto the suppressor can move around a bit and cause baffle or end cap strikes. I already have two end cap strikes on my octane 9 while using it on my mp5k-n during longer bursts.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    3 lug is a pain, at times. For semi auto it's fine, but with full auto the suppressor can move around a bit and cause baffle or end cap strikes. I already have two end cap strikes on my octane 9 while using it on my mp5k-n during longer bursts.
    I was kind of wondering about this to be honest. Thank you for chiming in. I am not sure if I am going to bother with spending $200 bucks to go with 3 lug or not, but at least I have the option. On a .22 there is virtually no recoil but having never used a 3 lug I've always wondered if it would introduce wobble. Full auto, yeah, I could see that.

If I don't use 3 lug what is a good (non permanent) thing that I can put on the threads of the barrel so that I don't have to constantly tighten the can as I am shooting? As you know better than most a can is able to wobble itself loose over time.

I was thinking about trying some of that white tape like stuff but maybe there is a better option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just use Never-Sieze on the threads and haven't had a problem with it coming loose unintentionally, or not coming loose when I want it to.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My body is ready

Name:  BDED52F0-DC95-4436-B47D-4890D809D4FD.jpeg
Views: 3387
Size:  257.8 KB

Name:  1CEBB803-2C0E-4C65-9BA5-784D6CE16BD8.jpeg
Views: 3000
Size:  215.7 KB

Name:  F96C79B4-E152-41C1-84A5-B736D9F3C098.jpeg
Views: 3002
Size:  227.0 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm considering getting an Optimus Micro, too. I like the flexibility in provides and I'm already in for the GA taper mount system (with a Recce 5 and Paladin in jail).

Instead of another Recce 7, you should consider the Paladin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally would go for the Recce 7; the Paladin has some nice features but I don’t see ever needing to disassemble it. If the decreased weight was a concern, I’d go for the 11oz Sportsman.

I can see the market that the Paladin is for, but I’d put the $200 difference towards the stamp for the Recce 7. If I ever found it on sale and they were the same price, it would be a no brainer...but the cost to benefit difference takes it off the table for me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I just use Never-Sieze on the threads and haven't had a problem with it coming loose unintentionally, or not coming loose when I want it to.
    I am not sure what that stuff is really. I am not sure what if anything can be used to keep a direct thread suppressor from loosening up under fire. I don't know if I should try to use a shim set or some of that stuff you mentioned.

My body is ready
    NICE!!! I will buy one of those adapters but for now it would sit in a box for a while since I will have two Recce 5's. That said I will definitely test out the can on my 16" AR. Insurance and back up is worth it for not very much money.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I'm considering getting an Optimus Micro, too. I like the flexibility in provides and I'm already in for the GA taper mount system (with a Recce 5 and Paladin in jail).

Instead of another Recce 7, you should consider the Paladin.
    My thought to get another Recce 7 is still way up the road. That said since they take so long to go through the system I might just preemptively buy another .30 cal can.

I actually bought the Recce 7 in anticipation of me getting or building something bigger than .224. I don't even have anything for a .30 caliber yet.

I am still really on the fence about .300 BLK. I am really going back and forth on it and to be honest I could probably get into it for really cheap. Especially since I am supposed to get $400 store credit from the Griffin promotion, if I decide to I could devote some or all of those funds that way.

I am really way more excited to build up a nice 6.5CM bolt gun, which of course will be suppressed. It's a lot of coin to set up an ultra long range gun.

I am also on the fence about the AR10 platform. I definitely want one though. A nice .308 bolt gun would be a good option too. I just don't know what to do. I am spending cash that I don't have right now. LOL!

Where I start in the bigger calibers depends, but at this point who knows what I will do.

In the end having two of everything would be a nice thing to have, and that includes rimfire cans. Backup is always a good thing. Unless I win the powerball it's going to be a bit by bit thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a direct thread suppressor; my second can I bought and have a substantial round count (5 figures) through it. I put 2.5 revolutions of Teflon tape on it, wrapped with the threads, not against them (so screwing on the can lays the end down, not pushed up)

Never once had it come loose even under rapid figure on a 10.5” barrel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a direct thread suppressor; my second can I bought and have a substantial round count (5 figures) through it. I put 2.5 revolutions of Teflon tape on it, wrapped with the threads, not against them (so screwing on the can lays the end down, not pushed up)

Never once had it come loose even under rapid figure on a 10.5” barrel
    Teflon Tape. That sounds like a good possibility. When I need to take the can off is it all nasty and messed up or no?

If it works I might put that on my 9mm barrel as well.

I am not sure what you mean by 'lays the end down, not pushed up'. Maybe my brain isn't in gear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Teflon Tape. That sounds like a good possibility. When I need to take the can off is it all nasty and messed up or no?

If it works I might put that on my 9mm barrel as well.

I am not sure what you mean by 'lays the end down, not pushed up'. Maybe my brain isn't in gear.
    I use it on my 9mm can also.

Pretend you’re looking down the barrel. Run the tape clockwise, so when you are threading the can on, it helps lay the end of the tape down rather than laying it counterclockwise and having the suppressor threads push it off

Whenever I clean the rifle after my range trip, I reapply it. A brass barrel brush scrubs it right off

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use it on my 9mm can also.

Pretend you’re looking down the barrel. Run the tape clockwise, so when you are threading the can on, it helps lay the end of the tape down rather than laying it counterclockwise and having the suppressor threads push it off

Whenever I clean the rifle after my range trip, I reapply it. A brass barrel brush scrubs it right off
    Done! That's what I want. Something removable. That sounds like it would be perfect to keep my thread on cans from working loose as I shoot. I might even try it on the end cap of my Revolution 9.

That's actually a product improvement idea for Griffin if they are reading. On the Micro it has dual end caps that are supposed to lock the baffles up tight. Maybe they can make a dual locking end cap for the Revolution pistol series.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine hasn't come loose. Not sure what the dealie is? I've run 5 mags at most at one time, so maybe I'm not in that round count territory, or worn-in yet. I've also only put 60 rounds of 5.56 through it vs. 800+ of 300 BLK through it. If anything, I've taken measures to keep the M.D. from coming off with the can, hence Permatex moly grease, AKA: Nev-R-Seize.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!