Thread: Pistol build

Downloads
    Uploads

Pistol build

I've put together & modified a few ARs and always wanted an SBR, but I'm unwilling to jump through the hoops and pay the tax stamp fee to get one. I've never been interested in AR pistols either because I didn't see the point to them. That changed with the Sig arm brace ATF letter, so when Sig put their Spartan 11.5" upper on sale a few weeks ago, I thought I'd give it a shot.

What I've got so far and what's on order:

***There's a BCM BCG in the picture. I was going to use that until I discovered the Lantac enhanced BCG while looking around here. I've got one on order, and will save the BCM BCG for a future .300 Blackout build.***

Rock River lower
    Sig Sauer M400 upper, 11.5” barrel chambered in 5.56, 1/7 twist
    BCM enhanced LPK with PNT trigger assembly
    Lantac enhanced AR15/M16 bolt group
    Lantac RPS (WEVO group buy)
    Radian Raptor charging handle, FDE
    Midwest Industries Pistol Buffer Tube
    JP tuned & polished extra power buffer spring
    BCM H2 Carbine buffer
    BAD AR15/M16 Enhanced Pin Set
    BAD AR15/M16 Enhanced Mag Release Button
    SB Tactical SBM4 arm brace, FDE
    Magpul MOE-K2 grip, FDE
    Magpul MOE trigger guard, FDE
    Magpul front & rear BUS, poly, Black
    BCMGUNFIGHTER KAG angled foregrip, FDE *OR* Magpul AFG2, FDE
    BCM Keymod aluminum rail sections, various lengths
    Magpul MS4 Dual QD sling
    INFORCE WMLx, FDE *OR* OLIGHT PL-2 Valkyrie, Black

I already had the Rock River lower, so that's what I used. I'm certainly not a fan of the strange maroon/brown/whatever-the-hell color the upper is. And I've already noticed the finish seems to be coming off just from installing & removing the poly Magpul BUS:

While I'm disappointed in the durability of the finish, it doesn't matter. I'm taking the upper & lower to a local shop that does Cerakote and gonna get them done in FDE. I'll leave the barrel, dust cover, FA, and fore end mounting screws black. Together with the rest of the controls being black (except the trigger, which is nickel), that should make a nice two-tone contrast.

I'm up in the air about which light and which red dot sight I should use. I've got an OLIGHT PL-2 Valkyrie thats nice & compact & very bright (they claim 1200 lumens, seems to have a very slight edge in brightness over my TLR-1 HL), but I really like the looks of the INFORCE WMLx in FDE. As for a red dot, I'm torn between an Aimpoint PRO and a Micro T1.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice setup! Looking forward to the finished (cerakote) product !
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cerakote is finished, I lucked out and they were doing a bunch of things in Magpul FDE the day I dropped everything off so mine went right in and I was picking them up three days later! Interesting how even from straight from Magpul there are color variations between the grip and the PMags. I'm very happy with the color of the cerakote.

Just mocked up for now - waiting on the Lantac ratcheting receiver end cap. The Lantac enhanced BCG & bolt is very slick and I like the contrast to the receiver. The BAD pins are also nice, especially their little magnet trick for inserting the front pin. Much easier than the former "L" tool and a pin punch and three hands. I've also decided to purchase an SB SOB brace instead of the SBM4 shown here. I want something less bulky.

I also need to decide on a RDS. I've got a Holosun HS403 I'll probably use until I get a T1 or similar. I may also install a Magpul AFG2 instead of the Knight's Armament handstop. And I still need a Inforce WMLx in FDE....

Now if work would just stop being a PITA and the weather would improve I could go function test it. Gonna start with an H2 buffer and see how it runs. Contemplating a Griffin taper mount blast shield with an eye towards one of their suppressors next year. I'll probably bite the bullet and SBR it then as well, and install a fixed stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice!
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good !
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    An update as I sit here muttering about snow and trying to find frozen dog poop...I've been willfully ignorant of the whole Vltor A5 system of RET, Buffers, etc. for the past few years. But as I sit here browsing various forums and contemplating the build, I'm doing a lot of reading about the purpose of the A5 system, what the impetus for it was, and how it seems to be a benefit for just about every rifle people install it on, especially SBRs & pistols. So I figured I'd give it a try and ordered a Vltor A5 RET and buffer to try on my work rifle (14.5" Sabre Defense carbine, currently with a standard mil-spec carbine RET and Magpul MOE SL stock). Then I started comparing the A5 RET to the MI pistol tube...the A5 has an interior depth of 7.75", and the MI pistol tube has a 9" OAL with an interior depth of 7" (the same as any other carbine-length RET). So basically there's a 2" chunk of aluminum at the butt end of the MI tube. Which now has me considering that if I have an additional .75" bored out inside the MI tube to mimic the interior dimensions of the A5 tube, I should be able to use an A5 buffer & rifle spring in the MI tube and in essence clone the A5 system into the MI tube.

It seems like a simple idea, which is what's causing me concern. Am I overlooking something obvious here? I don't want to blow another $55 for an A5 pistol RET if i can just modify the MI tube. Thoughts?

ETA: I'll be buying the Vltor pistol tube. Talked to a friend who's a machinist. It would work and work fine, IF he had to proper reamer to cut the tube with. But even if he did, the hourly rate for the work would be more than the cost of a new tube.
    Last edited by PJD642; 27 December 2017 at 13:22.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And on a completely different topic, I replaced the standard safety on the pistol build with a Radian Talon 45/90-degree ambi safety in FDE. I really like how they use spring loaded pins to retain the levers instead of screws, and to be honest, this is the first time I've ever tried a 45-degree safety (I've been very set in my ways and unwilling to experiment). Holy crap, do I love it! It seems like such a small difference, but the reduced throw both ways and ease of returning to "safe" feels all out of proportion to what it actually is. No, returning to "safe" on a 90-degree safety is not difficult, but this is so much "better", lacking a more descriptive term. And the right side short lever doesn't contact my trigger finger on the 45 degree position either. I guess I need to get with the times and be more willing to look at "new" stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice build. I’m Digging the FDE!

Downloads
    Uploads

Pistol build

Yes the A5 tube is just a AR10 rifle length tube. I have an A5 on most of my rifles.

And once you go short throw safety selector, it’s hard to go back.
    Last edited by fledge; 28 December 2017 at 14:18.