Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks JG,
    Just topped it off with a Christmas present for myself, an Aimpoint T2. I think that should do nicely to finish the thing off and get it ready for firing/breaking in. I've got a couple of T1's on other rifles, so I found the T2 at a decent price at Planet Optics. Hope I'm not disappointed.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed! Nice pea shooter. Normally I cringe at lightweight builds but this one turned out nice. You better sell off all your spare parts if your not gonna do another build as I have had a roll pin turn into a rifle. Its like a drug, just one more... The T2's are sweet, put one on my last build. Doubt I will ever go back to the T1's.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That color scheme came out good...Forgot to ask.. 14.5 barrel ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    That color scheme came out good...Forgot to ask.. 14.5 barrel ?
    No. It's 16 .in. It was supposed to be 14.5, but I screwed up. The ad said 16 in., and when I got it, it was 16 .in. I went back and read the for sale ad again and sure enough it said 16 .in. I misread the ad. Probably could have shaved another 2 or 3 ounces, but I bit the bullet because I was the one that screwed that pooch, so I just went ahead with what I had.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Agreed! Nice pea shooter. Normally I cringe at lightweight builds but this one turned out nice. You better sell off all your spare parts if your not gonna do another build as I have had a roll pin turn into a rifle. Its like a drug, just one more... The T2's are sweet, put one on my last build. Doubt I will ever go back to the T1's.
    Thanks, Stone
    That's reassuring, I haven't even seen a T2 yet. I've had so much luck with the T1's I figured the T2 would be an "upgrade", but I know how that can go wrong. It also wasn't much more than a T1, at Planet Optics. Thought I'd treat myself for Christmas.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    A friend of mine was browsing the forum and pointed out that there was a large gap between the upper and the hand guard in the first two photo's. Actually there is not gap, when those photo's were taken, the parts were just mocked up so the friend who cerakoted it could check the stencils and paint "flow" or alignment. The bottom two were taken when it was tightened up correctly.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not usually a fan of camo on an AR, but that looks great. Very clean looking. You guys did a hell of a job on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not sure, Stone, what makes you cringe at a lightweight build. Maybe you think that they won't hold up to some heavy shooting duty? I've seen people mill most the mag well out. If you've seen that type of crap, I understand. It did take a lot of research, and questions to WEVO folks to find what I was looking for and ended up with a 5.lb rifle, solid, regardless of it's weight.

I guess this (what I consider a major win) I could share the credit with WEVO members, sorting through the threads, and paying attention to lightweight and solid parts.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 16 February 2018 at 22:23.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    How many builds ago was this "swan song"? At least one if not more?

Nice thought though!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=FortTom;160586]Not sure, Stone, what makes you cringe at a lightweight build. Maybe you think that they won't hold up to some heavy shooting duty? I've seen people mill most the mag well out. If you've seen that type of crap, I understand. It did take a lot of research, and questions to WEVO folks to find what I was looking for and ended up with a 5.lb rifle, solid, regardless of it's weight.

I guess this (what I consider a major win) I could share the credit with WEVO members, sorting through the threads, and paying attention to lightweight and solid parts.

Its just that most of the lightweight builds I have seen, seem to give durability and strength a backseat ride. My rifles are tools and to me everything needs to be as strong as possible. I have taken tumbles down muddy hills and in that scenario some of those builds would have crumbled up like an aluminum can. Every time I do a build, all I can think of is that Daniel defense video of where they threw the rifle out of the helicopter and picked it up and it still worked! I suppose they are not for runnin and gunnin but to me a rifle should be ready for all and every scenario. Some of those guys got so obsessed with weight reduction the parts get paper thin. I think you did good brother! I think you found the balance between weight reduction but still kept durability on the radar. That's a sweet pea shooter! Did you pick an optic yet?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=Stone;160593]
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Not sure, Stone, what makes you cringe at a lightweight build. Maybe you think that they won't hold up to some heavy shooting duty? I've seen people mill most the mag well out. If you've seen that type of crap, I understand. It did take a lot of research, and questions to WEVO folks to find what I was looking for and ended up with a 5.lb rifle, solid, regardless of it's weight.

Its just that most of the lightweight builds I have seen, seem to give durability and strength a backseat ride. My rifles are tools and to me everything needs to be as strong as possible. I have taken tumbles down muddy hills and in that scenario some of those builds would have crumbled up like an aluminum can. Every time I do a build, all I can think of is that Daniel defense video of where they threw the rifle out of the helicopter and picked it up and it still worked! I suppose they are not for runnin and gunnin but to me a rifle should be ready for all and every scenario. Some of those guys got so obsessed with weight reduction the parts get paper thin. I think you lgood brother! I think you found the balance between weight reduction but still kept durability on the radar. That's a sweet pea shooter! Did you pick an optic yet?
    Stone,

Yes, I ordered an Aimpoint T2 about the same time I posted the original post. Took quite a while to get here due to some hassles, but everything worked out ok, and it got here a few weeks ago.

Back to the issue of light weight AR's, I agree. I've seen rifles that had every conceivable bit of metal milled out until they resemble swiss cheese. Quietly sighed in my own mind. Many are just a disaster waiting to happen. As you stated, some are ready to fold up like an aluminum beer can. I know what you mean about tumbling down hills I've fallen a couple of times my self, weapons and optics survived. Me...not so well.

Also, on the other hand, I think I pushed the limit on what I could get away with, without having a fragile weapon. I wouldn't push it any further, for exactly the reasons you stated.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 17 February 2018 at 11:28.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love the camo. What colors did you use if you don’t mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Anderson... the "other" Colt...

Great job with the paint.
    The poverty pony at its finest
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    How many builds ago was this "swan song"? At least one if not more?

Nice thought though!
    ^^^^^
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's never really last build.. its just the last one until the next one
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads