Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think people like me who were big Star Wars fans as a kid in the 80's, then got some mediocre Prequels in their 20's are now suffering from Star Wars Fatigue. Way too many movies now.

They should have just done the side story movies first, like Rogue One, and The upcoming Han Solo one. That way you can develop the main story line better, after the prequel disasters they should have thought this through. I haven't seen the Last Jedi, but after The Force Awakens, I couldn't help but think this is just Star Wars for Millenials. Who's who of affirmative action for casting, and of course we have to have a female lead now. I can't blame Disney, you paid big money for Lucas Arts, so you know any movie you release no matter how crappy it is, will generate at least 1 Billion World Wide. Just wondering how long that cash cow is going to last before they completely ruin the franchise.
    Like you, I grew up on Star Wars and loved it. But I also enjoyed the prequels. Yes, there were some missteps, and I'd argue a big part of that was casting the lead. But at the end of the day, it was still Star Wars and by the end of the trilogy, you got to see all the things and meet the people that you had heard about in 4-6.

My issue with these new movies (the trilogy, not the independent movies like Rogue One) is that is suffers from not having a point of reference. Sure, we know who the original characters are, but why is EVERYTHING ELSE happening? Apparently the Rebellion and New Republic failed since now the New Order is a thing. Fine. But at least tell us some info on HOW or WHY it failed. Don't just plop us down in the middle of two factions fighting each other with one faction having some all-powerful being that we don't even know who he is (and potentially don't care as the story develops).

The exact opposite was true with Rogue One, IMO. Again, there's a couple of plot holes, but overall, you know who everyone was (big picture, not necessarily individual characters), and you knew not only what the point of the story was, but also what the stakes were if either side failed.

GOD Forbid a REBOOT.
    And here comes the other big issue, IMO. It's like "they" weren't really sure if the new trilogy was a reboot or not. In the end, it's not, but they treat some of the story as if it is. JJ knew he couldn't do with Star Wars what he did with Star Trek (thank goodness)...it wouldn't fly with the fans (and probably himself, since he's supposedly a big fan). But he still managed to do what he typically does, and just throws the viewer into the middle of action without worrying about any kind of point of reference for the viewer. And the result, sadly, is that many viewers stop caring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    This movie sucked.
    Curious what all didn't you like about it? Granted maybe it's because I'm not a "nerd" as you put it; but Episode VII did spark a passionate interest (not that I wasn't interested in Star Wars before; more so prior to Episode VII my knowledge of Star Wars only extended so far as the movies themselves) in the Star Wars universe for me (... so call me a ametuer nerd/nerd in training).

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think people like me who were big Star Wars fans as a kid in the 80's, then got some mediocre Prequels in their 20's are now suffering from Star Wars Fatigue. Way too many movies now.
    You aren't wrong there. A movie EVERY year? ...

Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    A buddy of mine went the other night, his biggest comment was “I have so many questions”.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    but the overall issue with the story is...."wait, who's that guy?...why is he doing that?"
    Granted this is mostly a hypothesis, but from my limited research, I think these questions are being set up for Episode IX.

In regards to "who is Snoke" - I think that question is largely suppose to be answered in Episode IX (... at least according to some videos like this)

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    My issue with these new movies (the trilogy, not the independent movies like Rogue One) is that is suffers from not having a point of reference. Sure, we know who the original characters are, but why is EVERYTHING ELSE happening? Apparently the Rebellion and New Republic failed since now the New Order is a thing. Fine. But at least tell us some info on HOW or WHY it failed. Don't just plop us down in the middle of two factions fighting each other with one faction having some all-powerful being that we don't even know who he is (and potentially don't care as the story develops).
    I think a big difference with this trilogy (as compared to the ones prior), is that this one relies much more on additional media to tell the full story. From what I've seen a decent chunk of the information that is not answered in the movies, is answered in alternate media (ie: comics, books/novels, visual dictionaries, etc) - which, to me, I thought was pretty cool. The fact that the depth of knowledge needed extends beyond the movies themselves ... but on the flipside, to those who don't know or don't care to find out on their own screws them over. Double-edged sword really.

Perhaps someone can answer this for me. What's the point of having canon, and not canon (ie: Rogue One, Han Solo, etc)?
    Last edited by Thompson; 2 January 2018 at 09:15.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once Disney got ahold of the franchise you just knew it was over. Over-marketed crap to begin with at that point and then acquired for such an insane amount of money you just knew Star Wars everything was just moments away.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Once Disney got ahold of the franchise you just knew it was over. Over-marketed crap to begin with at that point and then acquired for such an insane amount of money you just knew Star Wars everything was just moments away.
    Sadly you aren't wrong. Really hate that they just nixed The Clone Wars and made a half-assed kids show (Rebels).

Will always wonder how this new trilogy would have been, had George Lucas been in charge.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    [nerd]

Perhaps someone can answer this for me. What's the point of having canon, and not canon (ie: Rogue One, Han Solo, etc)?
    Rogue One (and Solo) is canon. I can't speak to Solo, but for Rogue One, it's so canon it's literally showing a scene right before the first scene in IV. The intent (apparently) was to provide additional storylines (and money) to tide over the audience in between the trilogy movies. Basically applying the the Marvel model to Star Wars. I'm not a Marvel (or comic book) fan, but from Disney's perspective, it's a smart plan, as long as the movies aren't crap. Solo has had a lot of issues, so hopefully Ron Howard can make it right. I'm not terribly excited about Solo, but I wasn't excited about RO, either, and it was a very pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Sadly you aren't wrong. Really hate that they just nixed The Clone Wars and made a half-assed kids show (Rebels).

Will always wonder how this new trilogy would have been, had George Lucas been in charge.
    Rebels actually became something much more than I ever anticipated. This last season has been weak, but the previous ones were well done and even some closure on some of the Clone Wars story lines. But it needs to end, if for no other reason to kill Ezra and his annoying whining.

[/nerd]