Downloads
    Uploads

Polishing a SS S&W- UPDATE

I just got a LEO trade-in Model 64 in decent condition, but a little dowdy. What is a good method to shine it up a little? I don't want it to look mint, just polish a bit. On the Smith forum a guy used scotchbrite and Mother's mag wheel goop to good effect, but it looked a little too matte to me. Jeweler's rouge on a rag? Do you swirl or wipe straight back and forth on the barrel? Dremel buffing wheel a good idea?
    Last edited by Uffdaphil; 22 December 2017 at 14:10.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Partly I think it depends on what kind of finish you are after. High gloss, matte, etc.,etc. Remember that scotchbrite pads come in different abrasive levels so matching your scrubber to the polish is key. For instance an abrasive scrubber with an abrasive polish will take off more material faster. You want to start gentle and if more is needed you can always up the game. If it was me I would start with a microfiber towel and some Flitz. There are some decent videos on YouTube that might help.
    https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Plastic...s=flitz+polish
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I’m just looking for minimal improvement towards the original finish. Definately not the matte of modern SS. The Scotchbrite kinda scares me. I’ll start with micro fiber and see how it goes. Waiting on some G10 grips and will post pics when they arrive.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    I just got a LEO trade-in Model 64 in decent condition, but a little dowdy. What is a good method to shine it up a little? I don't want it to look mint, just polish a bit. On the Smith forum a guy used scotchbrite and Mother's mag wheel goop to good effect, but it looked a little too matte to me. Jeweler's rouge on a rag? Do you swirl or wipe straight back and forth on the barrel? Dremel buffing wheel a good idea?
    I would take a pass on the Dremel. They're great for polishing small parts where the wheel can cover the whole part at once. Polishing a pistol with one is a hazardous proposition. They have a tendency to give you bright and duller streaks. I'd try a little jewelers rouge or some flitz with the micro fiber and go slow. Another danger of the Dremel is the shank of the buffing wheel will eventually find it's way to the surface and really leave a mark to buff out.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Nix on the Dremel then. Flitz and new grips on the way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should do some before and after photos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should have clicked a pic before I scrubbed it down with Weaponshield. What I thought was surface rust was mostly just crud. I’ll still do a before and after Flitz when I get back in town.

Downloads
    Uploads

ALL SHINED UP

After Flitz and CZ grips

Attachment 4736
    Attachment 4737

Downloads
    Uploads
    Photo loader keeps timing out. If this time fails I will try again later. The Flitz worked great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All done

Attachment 4739

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    That turned out nice. Classic 38 Special.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, yeah that turned out nice.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice job! I like those grips...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My last Smith was a 7” 686. It felt like a fat squirrel was hanging onto the barrel. This one has a sweet balance.