Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,838
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Flat or Curved Triggers for pistols?

    I randomly heard online about after market Sig triggers that are supposed to be really cool and a lot better.

    I saw it, watched a few Youtube videos on it and decided to give it a go.

    https://www.armorycraft.com/product-...stable-trigger

    I got the slightly curved Armory Craft trigger for my Sig P226. I was debating between the flat and the curved but in the end I decided to go with the curved. For some reason on my AR's I like the flat CMC but I have never really shot a flat trigger on a pistol.

    I already bought the new trigger but I am wondering if anyone has any insight into the different trigger types in regards to pistols (curved vs flat).

    If you have any experience with the Armory Craft triggers please post up. Apparently a few companies are now making after market triggers but I decided to go with that one.

    Once I get back home (probably in a few weeks) I will do a write up on my findings after I get the thing installed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,838
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Here is the trigger that I got. I got the curved one because that's what all my other pistols have on them.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,838
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Here is a video review of the triggers. This guy likes the slightly curved one. He compares several brands.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,769
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I really, really like the flat faced trigger on my Legion. I also found, kinda to my surprise, that I also prefer flat faced triggers on 1911's. Maybe that shouldn't have come as a surprise though, as I also prefer flat faced triggers on AR's. I've seen lots of theories as to why flat is better for such and such reasons, and just as many theories as to why curved is better.... but I mean, this is the Internet. Theories abound about everything. I can't validate any reason why I prefer flat faced triggers other than... I just do. REALLY I think it's just user preference. I'm not going to go run a course, then do it again EXACTLY the same and suddenly have a measurable difference in speed or accuracy just because my trigger was a different shape on the second go.

    The only curved triggers I have anymore are my LaRue MBT's, which I also love. Though it's worth mentioning that while the bow is curved, the actual face is flat. If they made an actual flat trigger, man I'd be all over that.
    -One Nation, Under God

    -"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,838
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I really, really like the flat faced trigger on my Legion. I also found, kinda to my surprise, that I also prefer flat faced triggers on 1911's. Maybe that shouldn't have come as a surprise though, as I also prefer flat faced triggers on AR's. I've seen lots of theories as to why flat is better for such and such reasons, and just as many theories as to why curved is better.... but I mean, this is the Internet. Theories abound about everything. I can't validate any reason why I prefer flat faced triggers other than... I just do. REALLY I think it's just user preference. I'm not going to go run a course, then do it again EXACTLY the same and suddenly have a measurable difference in speed or accuracy just because my trigger was a different shape on the second go.

    The only curved triggers I have anymore are my LaRue MBT's, which I also love. Though it's worth mentioning that while the bow is curved, the actual face is flat. If they made an actual flat trigger, man I'd be all over that.
    I know that once I tried a flat trigger in my AR's I don't know if I could do anything else LOL! (I exaggerate of course).

    I have never tried a flat trigger in a pistol though. Maybe I shouldn't try a flat one because if I like it I will have all kinds of crap I will have to do.

    For me, the factory Sig trigger has a lot of slack to it. Even though I have SRT from the factory it's still way too mushy for me. While it's better than some others it's still not up to snuff for my tastes. Just like these in that second video-- no slack--no over travel-- I love it! When the slop goes the way of the do-do bird the better for me. I don't really think the shape of the trigger matters as much as the action of it does. At least for me.

    My 1911 has an adjustable trigger on it and that thing is fantastic. That's so far my gold standard among my collection. If I can get that same kind of no slack and short reset in my 226 I will be very happy.

    Normally I tend to do a lot of research on stuff before just throwing money at things, but in this case I didn't wait. While I love my Sigs I have been wondering about that damn trigger for a really long time. If this thing works as advertised I will be stoked.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    933
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I too like the flat (SD-C) triggers on my ARs, but for some reason feel the SSA-E curved is better for longer range precision. It's like I have a little more control with more finger area in contact on a slow 2 stage pull. Totally subjective and not a big deal. Contour is way down the priority list from take up, break and reset.
    “What in the world is a moderate interpretation of a constitutional text? Halfway between what it says and what we'd like it to say?" -Antonin Scalia

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,720
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Flat.

    At least for me. I shoot my overwatch flat triggers really well. And I've got an elf flat trigger on an AR and it's perfect.

    I'd love to see a gen6 Glock with an oem flat trigger.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,838
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Flat.

    At least for me. I shoot my overwatch flat triggers really well. And I've got an elf flat trigger on an AR and it's perfect.

    I'd love to see a gen6 Glock with an oem flat trigger.
    What would you say is the top 2 or 3 things for you in regards to flat trigger pulls? I am kind of prodding more as to the 'whys' and you're the perfect person that can give succinct answers.

    Could be a good blog topic btw.

    My first and really only real experience with flat triggers is when I built my first AR. I used a CMC flat trigger. I bought that based off of recommendations here on WEVO and have been hooked ever since.

    I found with that CMC flat trigger I can get repeatable finger placement and good repeatable traction almost every time. With them I think that little hook at the bottom helps a ton. I also like the idea of little to no sloppy over travel. If I switched out and got some fancy nice two stage trigger with a clean break I would probably love that too. It all has it's place. As long as there is a good crisp break that is in the same spot (and no spongy feel around that spot) as well as a good reset I would probably be a fan. I have a lot more experience with rifle triggers than pistols by far.

    On a pistol though I have absolutely zero flat trigger time. I don't know if just a flat trigger alone would help improve my pistol marksmanship or not. I'm not the best pistol shooter out there let's just say that but I do feel pretty strongly that a good consistent trigger doesn't hurt at all.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,838
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    If a flat trigger will help me maintain better trigger control I will give it a go. For the trigger I got it's only $80 bucks so I guess that could be a cheap starting point to try it out even if I wind up getting two of them, or decide to swap it again later.

    What I am most excited about with this trigger is that it seems to take up all the slack and smooshy feel in the trigger. That by itself could be a massively big deal for me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,720
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    What would you say is the top 2 or 3 things for you in regards to flat trigger pulls? I am kind of prodding more as to the 'whys' and you're the perfect person that can give succinct answers.

    Could be a good blog topic btw.

    My first and really only real experience with flat triggers is when I built my first AR. I used a CMC flat trigger. I bought that based off of recommendations here on WEVO and have been hooked ever since.

    I found with that CMC flat trigger I can get repeatable finger placement and good repeatable traction almost every time. With them I think that little hook at the bottom helps a ton. I also like the idea of little to no sloppy over travel. If I switched out and got some fancy nice two stage trigger with a clean break I would probably love that too. It all has it's place. As long as there is a good crisp break that is in the same spot (and no spongy feel around that spot) as well as a good reset I would probably be a fan. I have a lot more experience with rifle triggers than pistols by far.

    On a pistol though I have absolutely zero flat trigger time. I don't know if just a flat trigger alone would help improve my pistol marksmanship or not. I'm not the best pistol shooter out there let's just say that but I do feel pretty strongly that a good consistent trigger doesn't hurt at all.
    The fact that the depression of the trigger is consistent through the entire trigger press/squeeze. On a curved trigger or rounded trigger you may end up pushing on a weird angle of the trigger and not on the apex for a consistent straight back shot. This is one of the issues which people have when shooting Glocks, low and left, because they are contacting the trigger on an angle and pushing it down and left while they break the shot. With a flat trigger this is greatly reduced unless you literally put your finger on the side of the trigger.

    With AR's I find a flat trigger to be better at everything from precision to speed shooting.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,354
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Flat triggers for me. I get a more consistent pull. If I had the inclination and if it was practical, I'd also swap out all of my AR triggers to SD-C/E's and even some CMC's.

    Someone needs to come up with a milspec, QMS/ACT type trigger with a flat shoe.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,838
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Flat triggers for me. I get a more consistent pull. If I had the inclination and if it was practical, I'd also swap out all of my AR triggers to SD-C/E's and even some CMC's.

    Someone needs to come up with a milspec, QMS/ACT type trigger with a flat shoe.
    After I try out the action with the curved one that I have coming I might purchase a flat one for an experiment. I guess it couldn't hurt anything. I might learn something out of that deal. I am anxious to see how this trigger design changes and helps improve the pull on my 226 which is my go to suppressor gun. If I like the action better it would be a pretty cheap way to try out a different contour.

    They also make a flat adjustable trigger for my 938 which is my main 'get off me' carry gun. That could be worth a try too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,720
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Flat triggers for me. I get a more consistent pull. If I had the inclination and if it was practical, I'd also swap out all of my AR triggers to SD-C/E's and even some CMC's.

    Someone needs to come up with a milspec, QMS/ACT type trigger with a flat shoe.
    That's a good idea...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    2,167
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Flat triggers for me. I get a more consistent pull. If I had the inclination and if it was practical, I'd also swap out all of my AR triggers to SD-C/E's and even some CMC's.

    Someone needs to come up with a milspec, QMS/ACT type trigger with a flat shoe.
    I know it's 2-stage and not 1-stage, but the Larue trigger does a nice job getting at what you're talking about. And for $99 (when on sale), it beats the G-trigger pricing. The fatter bow really seems to make a difference. I was skeptical at first, but I've really enjoyed the MBT I put in my competition carbine and grabbed another one to put in my Mini-Recce (install will occur over the Xmas holiday...I hope).

    The flat trigger, and the science behind it, is an interesting idea to pursue for the handgun, especially as a Glock shooter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •