Thread: EMR-A, LP

Downloads
    Uploads

EMR-A, LP

We began development of an iteration of EMR-A in August of 2017, to be an optional configuration for the EMR-A line, itself a part of the EMR (Enhanced Magazine Release) family, consisting of EMR and EMR-C since 2015.

As many of you know, we include a 10.9lb spring as a part of EMR-A to make both the right mag release button harder to press, and mitigate the EMR-A's lever's mechanical advantage, so it's harder to accidentally drop the mag. The 10.9lb spring is 60% stiffer than the standard mag catch spring, we're now looking into 80% or higher spring rate springs as an option to the 60% extra spring rate spring.

From the beginning of EMR development, we've been keen on accidental/unintended mag drops. Indeed, we appeared to be the only company that was paying attention to the height of the mag release buttons and its implications.

On the EMR-C (blind hole mag release button) product page, we advise that it be used with 308 ARs, or gaming 223 ARs only, and for users to select EMR (through hole mag release buton) for duty and defense. EMR-C's taller profile protrudes over the mag release fence on a 223 receiver, enough to constitute an accidental/unintended mag drop risk. EMR doesn't protrude over the 223 receiver mag release fence.

EMR-A, LP (Low Profile) has a shorter lever (0.011) to make the lever stiffer to press,, and more snag resistant. In addition, its mag catch shaft is one full revolution shorter, to make the RIGHT side button lower in profile as well. The mag catch's "ramp" that engages a magazine's mag catch cutout is only 0.05 in height. Only 0.06 or greater travel is needed to drop the magazine.

With the LP mag catch shaft, this value doesn't change, the mag catch still has to travel 0.06 or more to drop the magazine, but the mag button is now lower inside the mag release fence.

This is a prototype EMR-A LP shaft, paired with an EMR:

This is the EMR-A, LP lever. Initially only available in the AA (All Angles) format.

Last week I saw BAD's non-ambi mag release, and read about its shorter shaft. I called up my former partner George and talked about the similarity between theirs and our EMR-A, LP shaft.

BAD-EMR is a blind hole mag release button. When I left BAD, I allowed BAD to make a version of the mag release button. BAD-EMR has a shallow V shaped top, while ours (both EMR and EMR-C) use the original curved design. BAD's non-ambi mag catch's short shaft makes the BAD-EMR protrude less, I haven't seen whether it'd make the BAD-EMR flush with, or stay below the mag release fence.

EMR-A, LP's shorter shaft is designed for milspec through hole mag releases (thus it is exactly one full revolution shorter in length) to enable the mag release button to stay well below the fence. It's our continued effort to reduce accidental/unintended mag drops, which started with the EMR in 2015, and 10.9lb mag catch spring in 2017. It isn't our first product to be made smaller to be more streamlined, LDFA was.

I've hinted about the new EMR-A development months ago, now we're three weeks before EMR-A LP is released. I want to disclose its development time line, lest anyone should think this is related to BAD's non-ambi mag catch.

George and I are on good terms, both products fall into parallel development category. In 2015, both companies offered some similar products, as we both worked on the mag release button and bolt catch before I left, so both companies made their own versions of them. The BAD-EBC and our ABC/R don't look similar, but share many design traits. ABC/R v2 now looks more different, only because we've made some improvements to the original ABC/R design.
    Last edited by Duffy; 3 January 2018 at 09:06.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Roger post with pics!?! 2018 is gonna be a good year.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha, getting ready to post pics of CNF (castle nut) too

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    We began development of an iteration of EMR-A in August of 2017, to be an optional configuration for the EMR-A line, itself a part of the EMR (Enhanced Magazine Release) family, consisting of EMR and EMR-C since 2015.

As many of you know, we include a 10.9lb spring as a part of EMR-A to make both the right mag release button harder to press, and mitigate the EMR-A's lever's mechanical advantage, so it's harder to accidentally drop the mag. The 10.9lb spring is 60% stiffer than the standard mag catch spring, we're now looking into 80% or higher spring rate springs as an option to the 60% extra spring rate spring.

From the beginning of EMR development, we've been keen on accidental/unintended mag drops. Indeed, we appeared to be the only company that was paying attention to the height of the mag release buttons and its implications.

On the EMR-C (blind hole mag release button) product page, we advise that it be used with 308 ARs, or gaming 223 ARs only, and for users to select EMR (through hole mag release buton) for duty and defense. EMR-C's taller profile protrudes over the mag release fence on a 223 receiver, enough to constitute an accidental/unintended mag drop risk. EMR doesn't protrude over the 223 receiver mag release fence.

EMR-A, LP (Low Profile) has a shorter lever (0.011) to make the lever stiffer to press,, and more snag resistant. In addition, its mag catch shaft is one full revolution shorter, to make the RIGHT side button lower in profile as well. The mag catch's "ramp" that engages a magazine's mag catch cutout is only 0.05 in height. Only 0.06 or greater travel is needed to drop the magazine.

With the LP mag catch shaft, this value doesn't change, the mag catch still has to travel 0.06 or more to drop the magazine, but the mag button is now lower inside the mag release fence.

This is a prototype EMR-A LP shaft, paired with an EMR:

This is the EMR-A, LP lever. Initially only available in the AA (All Angles) format.

Last week I saw BAD's non-ambi mag release, and read about its shorter shaft. I called up my former partner George and talked about the similarity between theirs and our EMR-A, LP shaft.

BAD-EMR is a blind hole mag release button. When I left BAD, I allowed BAD to make a version of the mag release button. BAD-EMR has a shallow V shaped top, while ours (both EMR and EMR-C) use the original curved design. BAD's non-ambi mag catch's short shaft makes the BAD-EMR protrude less, I haven't seen whether it'd make the BAD-EMR flush with, or stay below the mag release fence.

EMR-A, LP's shorter shaft is designed for milspec through hole mag releases (thus it is exactly one full revolution shorter in length) to enable the mag release button to stay well below the fence. It's our continued effort to reduce accidental/unintended mag drops, which started with the EMR in 2015, and 10.9lb mag catch spring in 2017. It isn't our first product to be made smaller to be more streamlined, LDFA was.

I've hinted about the new EMR-A development months ago, now we're three weeks before EMR-A LP is released. I want to disclose its development time line, lest anyone should think this is related to BAD's non-ambi mag catch.

George and I are on good terms, both products fall into parallel development category. In 2015, both companies offered some similar products, as we both worked on the mag release button and bolt catch before I left, so both companies made their own versions of them. The BAD-EBC and our ABC/R don't look similar, but share many design traits. ABC/R v2 now looks more different, only because we've made some improvements to the original ABC/R design.
    The BAD bolt catch/release is getting too spacey for some of us dichotomous thinkers. There are things about the AR that are dogma and off limits for change. Oddly, the paddle of yours is cool. Put my name on one of the plain, serrated black ones whenever the hell they come back in stock! I've lost track of the alphabet soup!

Seriously: I need one yesterday. If you have one lingering in the bottom of the parts bin, pm me, please! I don't want any discount, I don't gaf about the shipping or any swag, I just need it to finish out a build!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    We're out till the end of the month, but many of our dealers still have them. I just shipped Rainier Arms a few, the last ones we had

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/Dealers_ep_41.html

Off the top of my head, Mi-Tac, Tacticallink, Rainier Arms, Wing Tactical, High Velocity Arms, and AIM all still have some.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Available in mid to late Feb

Both the standard, serrated EMR-A and the new EMR-A, AA (All Angles) will have the LP (low profile) option, which features a 0.03 shorter mag catch shaft, to lower the position of the right side mag release button, it's well below and protected by the mag release fence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The new LP (low profile) mag catch option reduces the mag catch shaft by a full revolution, or 0.03. The LP option on the EMR-A (not available for extended length lever EMR-A) reduces the installed height of the right hand mag release button, resulting in the right side mag release button that sits below the mag release fence. This is our latest step to mitigate accidental / unintended mag drop risks.

Note the LP option for EMR-A will not reduce the EMR-C's installed height on an AR15/M16 to the point where EMR-C doesn't constitute accidental / unintended mag drop risks. The LP option aims to reduce the installed height of a TDP spec mag release button (such as our EMR), it isn't a solution for extended mag releases, the installed height of which would require a drastically shorter shaft to offset. EMR-C is meant for 7.62mm ARs, even though it works on an AR15 / M16, we suggest it be relegated to 7.62mm ARs and gaming ARs, not for defense and duty.