Thread: Mock Dissipator

Downloads
    Uploads

Mock Dissipator

I've been thinking about a Dissipator build for some time now. I'm still a bit leery of a full, rifle length gas system, even with an opened up gas port. I saw a deal from Palmetto on their mock Dissipator uppers around Christmas. Theirs use a mid-length low profile gas block instead. Went ahead and ordered. I don't really trust their assemblers, so I disassembled the gas system, and cleaned, lubed, and re-seated the barrel nut. The lower is just a forged, integral trigger guard Anderson. I forget the LPK, but the trigger group is a Geissele G2S. Charging handles is a BCM Mod4 and the carry handle is a used Colt. Nothing fancy, but I'm sure it will be stone cold reliable.

Last edited by DutchTerror; 8 May 2018 at 05:24.
    "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you got the barrel nut off by yourself, you’re either a freakin gym god or you got lucky. They are known for torquing the life out of barrel nuts. Looks good! Might need some rail covers although in that snow you might want the barrel warming your hands after all

Downloads
    Uploads
    They did have some grease on the barrel nut, though it was white. Not sure exactly what it was. I used Aeroshell since I have a lifetime supply of it.

Thought about the rail covers as well, though most times I am shooting with gloves anyway.

ETA, I use a breaker bar to break the barrel nuts loose. Leverage is key...
    "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other than the white grease, did you notice anything else that was incorrectly done?

Nice looking stick.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The low profile gas block was poorly aligned. It probably would have still functioned, but it was visibly tweaked to one side. Other than that, the barrel was greasy, but nothing of concern.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up a Faxon 16" mock dissipator barrel the other day with an eye towards doing the same thing (albeit with Magpul MOE rifle handguards) for a blem BCM upper I just purchased. Now thanks to you I'm reconsidering the handguards...

Downloads
    Uploads
    This handguard is light. Comes in at 8.7oz. Major contributing factor in why I bought it, and part of the reason I don't really want to use rail covers. The Magpul MLOK handguard is 12.1oz, for reference.

Nice on the Faxon, BTW. I had looked at those long and hard, but it was hard to pass this up.