Thread: 458 SOCOM

Downloads
    Uploads

458 SOCOM

Thinking of putting one together. Any thoughts, intel or wisdom anyone would care to share, would be great.

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Huge cases kill the magazine capacity and the ammunition is extremely overpriced. $2-3 a round and poor brass life just sucks for a minimal gain over a .300BO in real world use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve been thinking of building an upper too. Still on the fence about it.

In Colorado, the Law restrict a 30rd mag to 15 rounds anyway. A 458 can legally use the full mag. For hunting, no more than 6rds anyway.

It’s legal to hunt deer with this round in CO. 300blk doesn’t have the energy legally required. But a 6.8 would be a better choice overall than either.

I view it as a short range brush cartridge.

$1.36/round at Freedom Munitions at the moment.

Need a Big Bore can to really take full advantage of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless Colorado changed the 1000ft lbs @ 100 yards requirement then without a doubt .300BO's are legal for deer in that state.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Unless Colorado changed the 1000ft lbs @ 100 yards requirement then without a doubt .300BO's are legal for deer in that state.
    The law is the same. I’ve contacted different companies in the past and couldn’t find a round that qualified. But I stand corrected. I do see now that Hornady lists one round that does qualify. Barely. Using a range calculator the Barnes 110 also barely makes it. Pick your round carefully because most won’t qualify. For example, the Barnes 120gr doesn’t.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really want to build one as a bear gun. SBR, add a Hybrid, I think you’d have a great bush rifle. More capacity than a 45-70 lever, and still more powerful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Thinking of putting one together. Any thoughts, intel or wisdom anyone would care to share, would be great.

Thanks,

FT
    I thought you had sung your last song and were done with new builds......lol

I get it and all but in the same boat as sinner, for what it is “ I” don’t see it..plenty of better options

Downloads
    Uploads
    MF,
    I wasn't actually thinking that the SOCOM and 5.56 as both being an AR-15, sort of like the difference of a LR-10 or (AR-10) and an AR-15. But seeing that the SOCOM uses the same receiver as the AR-15, I guess they are technically the same except for caliber.

I've been thinking about a "big bore" AR for about 2 or 3 years. But I'm getting the same thing around here that you and sinner are saying, that you don't get much more bang for your buck with the SOCOM.

I'll just investigate some other calibers, or I might just scrap the whole idea.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a related conversation, John M. pointed out to me that .450 BM or .50 Beowulf are better options if your state requires straight walled rifle cartridges for deer hunting like Ohio does.

I was considering 6.8 for an orphaned lower and he also pointed out that ammo sources aren't what they were 5 years ago.

Ohio is weapons free on vermin varmints like coyotes and hogs, so it makes hunting with shottys less painful.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    The law is the same. I’ve contacted different companies in the past and couldn’t find a round that qualified. But I stand corrected. I do see now that Hornady lists one round that does qualify. Barely. Using a range calculator the Barnes 110 also barely makes it. Pick your round carefully because most won’t qualify. For example, the Barnes 120gr doesn’t.
    There are a few published now that exceed the requirements. Sig and Barnes are readily available choices. But you have to look at what the published specs are from. In my experience all the .300’s have faster FPS out of a 16”+ barrel length then published. At my FPS the 120’s are over 1100ft lbs at 100. According to the Shooter app using actual crono’ed speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    In a related conversation, John M. pointed out to me that .450 BM or .50 Beowulf are better options if your state requires straight walled rifle cartridges for deer hunting like Ohio does.

I was considering 6.8 for an orphaned lower and he also pointed out that ammo sources aren't what they were 5 years ago.

Ohio is weapons free on vermin varmints like coyotes and hogs, so it makes hunting with shottys less painful.
    Isn’t it oddd how location affects availability of ammo. Around here it’s 5.56, .300BO, 6.8SPC and a slight sprinkling of 6.5 Grendel in that order. .300BO is really popular, almost exceeding the choices of 5.56. Now you can close your eyes in any ammo isle and grab a box of 6.5 Creedmoor. Crazy how popular that round got overnight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Make my Blackout cheaper to shoot, please!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Make my Blackout cheaper to shoot, please!!!
    Unless your only shooting subs reloading shines as I was making accurate 150 gr supers with quality components for cheaper then your average 55gr 223 stuff

Even subs are cheap to shoot if you roll your own

Downloads
    Uploads
    My problem is my OCD would have me buying every cool accessory there is (Hornady AP with all the trimmings), but after the first or second round of case prep, my ADD would be wanting to go play in the creek! I gotta figure out how to Zen that, or it becomes an expensive decoration.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post

Thanks,

FT
    Get wiki arms app on your phone. It may save you a few dollars on the ammo cost. Another app I have is ammo seek to find good prices on ammo. Last year I bought 250 rounds of 150 grain 300blk for around 80 dollars. It's gone up since then but it's really good quality ammo. Hope this helps you.
    Owen

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk