Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Olight PL-2 Valkyrie

I know this just came out but in general has anybody heard of or use Olight products? It looks like a pretty decent light with great ergonomics to boot. I found it while I was bouncing around the web a few weeks back. I run X300U's on my firearms but wanted to pick up something decent for a build I did for my kid a while back. I know its not a Surefire but for $99 I may have to try it...
    https://www.olightstore.com/led-flas...pl-ii-valkyrie

Name:  gun-flashlight-olight-pl-2-3-262x262.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  10.1 KB
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stone, if you snag one, let us know what you think. I have a couple of Inforce and really like them for what they cost. I might buy a couple more, but I think they have a new version and I'm hoping someone will review them too.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I do I will Tom. Hoping someone can let me know if the brand in general is a good brand.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been using their little AAA keychain flashlights for a couple years. They are well-made and reliable. I can't speak to the weaponlights but based on my experience I'd certainly be willing to give one a try ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have two of their M2x Warrior lights that have been beat to hell and still work well. They generally have pretty good runtimes at high output levels and aren't crazy expensive. I've had an M20 for around six years and an M22 around three, and they're both still kicking along despite plenty of drops onto concrete and dings against steel doors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear, thanks for the input gentlemen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At $99, why not just a Streamlight?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was actually my first light, TLRs I believe. It sits on the wife's rifle now. I don't know I just want to try something new. Plus if it works out I can put up a review for others...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Late to the party, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. I purchased one of the Olight PL-2 Valkyrie lights to go on my work pistol (Glock 19). It was slated to replace my TLR-1 HL I've been using for several years now. Olight claims 1200 lumens whereas the TLR-1 HL says 800 lumens. I work for a park system where I'm outside a lot, so the more light the better. I'm not concerned with too much light blowing out my eyeballs in a white room, as I'm much more likely to be searching form someone in the woods.

The Valkyrie is a solidly built light, slightly less tall than a TLR-1, but fits and secures just fine in a Safarland ALS holster designed for a pistol with the TLR-1 attached. I really like the rail attachment method (lever vs. screw on the TLR-1), and it comes with easily swappable inserts for both 1913 Picatinny and Glock rails. I personally liked the battery compartment latch better on the Olight too...just lift a little tab and the back door hinges right open. The inside contacts are clearly marked so you know how to orient each battery.

Operation of the light itself is very simple. You have a momentary button on both of the side rears of the light. Press & release either button to turn on/off. Press and hold either button for momentary. Press both buttons simultaneously for strobe mode, and press either button again to turn off strobe. It's ambidextrous, meaning you can activate it with either button and turn it off with a press of the same or the other button. You can also activate the strobe when the light is already on by pressing both buttons simultaneously as previously mentioned. Turning off the strobe function also turns off the light if you'd had it on before going to strobe mode.

Eyeball testing (dark night, standing in an unlit parking lot at a trailhead, shining both lights down the trail), the Olight seems to have a *very* slight edge in brightness over the TLR-1 HL, but not enough to make me say "WOW". Spill and throw are practically identical to the TLR-1 HL, and there were no dark spots or gaps in the beam. Color seemed to be a little "cooler" (whiter) than the TLR-1, but again not a lot.

I carried the Valkyrie on my pistol for several weeks, but ended up switching back to the TLR-1 due to the switches on the Valkyrie. They work fine, but the method of operation - pushing "inward" (towards the pistol) wasn't comfortable to me. I don't have large hands or overly long fingers, and the buttons on the Valkyrie don't extend quite as far rearward as the tabs on the TLR-1 switch. I felt that if the tip of my index finger slipped off the button on the Valkyrie I could possibly have a ND if I hit the trigger, similar to what has happened to folks using a SERPA holster. The TLR-1's up/down method of activation works better for me - I've practiced swiping down with my index finger as I draw, and if I miss the tab on the TLR-1 my finger will go below, not inside, the trigger guard.

The Valkyrie will be mounted on the front of my pistol AR build, and mocking it up there it works fine. The ambi switches are great for off-hand use, and having them work the same on either side seems easier than the TLR-1 needing the switch moved alternatively up or down depending on the side moved. It's a great little compact light that I really like, and the ease of attachment and use earns it a lot of points. For me, though, I prefer the TLR-1 for *pistol* use, and the Valkyrie for *rifle* use. One downside is that the tailcap cannot be removed and replaced with a remote pressure switch, whereas the TLR-1 tailcap can be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    PJS642, were you activating the light with your trigger finger? Not having it in front of me it’s hard to replicate but I feel like where my support hand thumb rests on my Glock I could hit it pretty easily. Doing ANYTHING with my trigger finger besides keeping it either rested along side of or on the trigger seems odd (trying to figure out the SERPA-esque ND you described)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    PJS642, were you activating the light with your trigger finger? Not having it in front of me it’s hard to replicate but I feel like where my support hand thumb rests on my Glock I could hit it pretty easily. Doing ANYTHING with my trigger finger besides keeping it either rested along side of or on the trigger seems odd (trying to figure out the SERPA-esque ND you described)
    That's exactly how I was doing it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
    That's exactly how I was doing it.
    With your thumb or trigger finger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    With your thumb or trigger finger
    Sorry, trigger finger. The slightly longer reach with my stubby fingers coupled with the inward rather than downward motion for the switch didn't seem like a good idea for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here’s my line of thought:

If you’re activating the light with your trigger finger, what happens when you want to keep illuminating the threat? For example: my firing hand does NOTHING but fire or stay ready to fire, my support hand does all the work (mag changes, lights, etc)

If you practice activating it with your support hand thumb or something that problem would alleviate itself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of their rechargable lights look interesting. I wish they listed diameters so I knew if an Arisaka ring mount would work.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode