Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

G-MAGS - The German P-MAG

So I got my hands on a GMAG, thank to my bud Carlos.
    For those who havent heard of the GMag yet,
    it is a direct copy of the Pmag, licensed from Magpul.
    It does not have the same polymermix as the original Magpul products.
    They are made in the EU, not the US.

When he gave it to me, I didnt know it was a Gmag, so while I was using it, I didn't feel any difference between my Pmags and the Gmag. It was after the range, he actually pointed it out and asked me "how did you like the gmag?"
    Only then did I realize I hadn't used all Pmags...so much for a first impression.
    It fed well in a SD XR 15 M5, and showed no malfunctions.

On closer inspection this morning my subjective thoughts are:

-the Gmag feels a tiny bit more "plastic"
    -the mold seems to be "sharper", if you look at the pics, you'll hopefully see what I mean. The corners aren't that round and more articulated
    -it's smoother, and not as textured ( I don't have any Rev M Pmags to compare to, only the "older" Pmags)
    -same weight
    -the follower isn't as smooth and "teflonized" as the original, and when putting the mag together you notice that it doesn't slide as smooth as the orig. Yet when loading a mag and firing, I had no problem.
    -spring is shorter but feels the same when pushing down the follower
    -overall it seems a tiny bit thinner ( subjective; I havent measured it)
    - but it seems to have the same sturdyness and stability ( though I havent torturetested it)

Left GMAG right PMAG

it seems to be thinner, when looking at the lips and the sides

gmag follower left, pmag right

had to turn the pic; gmag right, pmag left

GMAG colors

PMAG FG, GMAG OD, PMAG OD

Disclaimer:
    Keep in mind these pictures and tests are all perfomed with pre-massproduction GMAGs, how the mass-produced Gmags will perform is still unknown, but I'll keep you posted.
    Also, you may use these pictures in a personal, private fashion, no commercial or official distribution of the pictures is permitted!( this is for this review and all to follow)

Downloads
    Uploads
    THe torture testing got cancelled due to lack of time, but will be done later on.

But we were able to put a few rounds downrange with Colt M4s, first and foremost observation: weapons in which the Pmags drop free, the Gmags stay stuck. The do move a bit, due to the spring/follower, but then stay stuck - with quite some friction

Apart from that feeding is no problem when shooting semi controlled, fast or full auto.
    Also, they give a good "catch" when you insert them; the measurements and depth of the magcatchhole are correct and good.
    (credits to Carlos for the pics)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, for the review. Looking forward to the testing.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would I be correct in assuming that all the baseplates (ranger/std), spring, followers, feed lip covers are interchangeable, and that the GMag is the newer design that allows the feed lip cover to be attached to the bottom of the mag (without ranger plates)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The GMag is a german redesign.
    The feed lip cover will not fit to the bottom and the ranger plates fit.
    BUT!
    You need a lot of force to put it on and to take it of you need to have a violent attitude.

My FDE GMag did NOT fall free from my Sabre Defense carbine.
    But I could pull it out easy.

The FG GMag I own DID fall free in 98% of may be 200 reloads.

Cheers,

Gunner

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dang.. I want a GMAG just to have one.

Is there a way to get one? Maybe trade my unopenned PMAG w/window for one?

Downloads
    Uploads
    once they run them for production ( 2-3 weeks left) and I get a few, I'll send you one

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Would I be correct in assuming that all the baseplates (ranger/std), spring, followers, feed lip covers are interchangeable, and that the GMag is the newer design that allows the feed lip cover to be attached to the bottom of the mag (without ranger plates)?

Its a reverse engineer copy of the original PMAGs. They did not copy the current production PMAG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there any International Patent infringement involved with the GMAG?
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    afaik it's all been done with the ok from Magpul, who appearantly helped whereever they could.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If Magpul helped where ever they could, the GMAG would be a current generation model.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh that's cool, thanks Venom.
    It will be very interesting to see the differences in person.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great that we now also can have access to some polymer Pmag style magazines.
    Too bad we're in a situation where methods such as this are required to get them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    short update, tested the OD and Black PrePro Gmag with a relativly new Sabre Defence XR15M5 , both mags fed well and dropped free 100%.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reason for creating/producing the G-Mag overhere is that the P-Mag falls under the ???? (can't recall the proper name) legislation preventing US manufacturers from exporting specific firearms parts.
    Atleast, that's the story I've been told. Ergo in order to circumvent this exportban they teamed up with some Germans and started producing the G-Mag overhere in Euroland.
    A fact maybe not known to many of the US members is that overhere in Europe (and definitely in Germany) there's a HUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE market for anything AR-15 related since the lifting of the German ban on said type of firearms.
    That's also the reason why Sabre Defence and Oberland Arms have such a great success in selling their rifles. Well that and the fact that the above mentioned legislation prevents US AR manufacturers from exporting their rifles unless an individual buyer overhere wants to wade trough piles of red tape & wait for ages to import an AR-15 from the US.