Downloads
    Uploads

Need rail guidence for 8.3” with Omega 9K

Man, there is not much selection for quality 7.5 to 8” handguards. If I had my druthers I would get a Centurion CMR or Geissele MK4, but I don;t want a 7” and too small I.D. for longer sizes. I have a suppressor friendly Aero on my 9mm, but doesn’t give me tingles or fabulous pant creases.

So I’ve boiled it down the acceptable choice to the BCM MCMR 8”. My BA 8.3” BLK barrel measures 7 5/8 to the base of the threads. BCM states: “Actual length when measured to flare is 8.39" “ The Omega direct thread mount looks to be at least 1/4” and would tuck inside any rail. But what is the flare? Is the rail end I.D. a little larger? Are they referring to the lower front edge jutting forward? If the latter, grinding off 1/8” looks feasible. So what do you think? Does it sound like my Omega body would clear the rail? Hopefull without any modding.

Chime in with other solutions I have missed like maybe a shim if really close? I have 3-4 months to figure it out before the can serves it’s hard time.

Thanks bros.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    The flare on the BCM rails are the sides of the handguard at the muzzle end. The 8.39 is the real length of the rail. You’d be grinding off over 1/2” or more.

You’re looking for a true 7.5 handguard; that would be a perfect fit for the 8.3. Otherwise, if you want a longer handguard get a longer barrel. SLR has a good selection to consider.

If you want to close the gap on the last .2 between your can and the 7.5 rail, you can get a flat thread on adaptor for the 9k.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SLR is about the only one I could think of. KAC makes an 8" Mod 1 but cost prohibitive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Big heap thanks Fledge! What a great selection of lengths. I think the ION 7.75 M-Lok will be perfect - only 1/8” longer than the base of my threads. The direct thread mount of the Omega should tuck under leaving teeny air between rail and can body.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1203
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads

For your comparison. This is the same barrel with a 6.7" CMT handguard and an Omega with the ASR mount. I've changed it to a KeyMo brake, but it's right at 1" naked barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another option is a fatter handguard to tuck the can. Here’s a honey badge style. That’s an Omega 30 on an 8.25 barrel. 13” Falkor rail. currently I have the omega 9k with just the perfect amount of clearance of the can beyond the rail. I don’t have a pic of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CJ, thanks. That looks like just enough space for a 7.75 to work also.

Fledge, I have a fat handguard on my Glock AR9 and a can fit under nicely. But I did not like the feel. The CMR spoiled me forever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    8" URX III

BOOM!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!