Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best UV Glasses

Downloads
    Uploads

Best UV Glasses

Can someone recommend a pair of UV glasses, heavy on the UV? I bought a new pair of Oakley's last year to take fishing in the FL keys. The sky was clear and the water only slightly choppy over the reef. First thing I noticed was they didn't fair all that well, and I could almost see into the water better than my regular self tinting glasses. Hell, I've had cheap fishing glasses from Wally World that worked better than them.

Turns out the fishing gods were watching and I caught a once in a lifetime fish. Problem was once he got out past 10 feet of the boat all I could see was glare. Long story short it took a long time to get him to the boat, before he headed out to sea again, 4 times, and I was exhausted, and pissed that I couldn't see worth a damn with an expensive pair of Oakley's, so I thought someone here might know of something better.

I'm heading back in May, for giant grouper and/or sharks and Tarpon, so I'd like to take some better suited sun glasses.

Thanks ahead,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT, do you mean polarized glasses? Any reputable set of glasses will block UV, but that doesn't mean they'll cut through the water like polarized glasses will. Not all Oakley's are polarized (they usually sell each model with the option and the lens will cost more if you go with it).

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

Downloads
    Uploads
    REVO’s with the crystal lens are the best polarized glasses I’ve ever worn. Maui Jim’s and Costa Del Mar’s are a decent choice but not close to the REVO’s.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    FT, do you mean polarized glasses? Any reputable set of glasses will block UV, but that doesn't mean they'll cut through the water like polarized glasses will. Not all Oakley's are polarized (they usually sell each model with the option and the lens will cost more if you go with it).

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.
    I suppose I mean "polarized". Maybe I confused the two - UV and Polarized. I guess I need more "education". I'm definitely not going without the right glasses this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    REVO’s with the crystal lens are the best polarized glasses I’ve ever worn. Maui Jim’s and Costa Del Mar’s are a decent choice but not close to the REVO’s.
    I've never seen REVO's, Sinner. I guess I'll have to google them and check them out.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are likely ruined.

Name:  A9607760-9ECA-4ABE-8229-7A2176D25480.jpeg
Views: 288
Size:  2.69 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting you didn’t care for the Oakley’s. My daily wear is flak jackets with the polarized lenses. They have been great out on the water, but my eyes aren’t your eyes either.

Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing either. Oakley’s have been my go to brand for years...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Interesting you didn’t care for the Oakley’s. My daily wear is flak jackets with the polarized lenses. They have been great out on the water, but my eyes aren’t your eyes either.

Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing either. Oakley’s have been my go to brand for years...
    My Oakley's are great glasses, I just got the wrong model. Gatordev and Sinner gave me a quick education on sunglasses that are UV blockers, and polarized. For fishing the polarized glasses will cut through a lot of the glare when looking down at the water on a sunny day. So I was confused between the two terms, UV and Polarized.

Sinner turned me on to REVO's and after doing some research, I ordered a pair, that are more suited for fishing vs. my non-polarized Oakley's.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    10-4. My first round with the polarized glasses was up at Alexandria bay in New York, we out on the dock at our house and I was watching a nice pike in the water. It got into a shady spot and I instinctively lifted my glasses for a ‘better look’. My reaction was nothing short of ‘whoa!, where have these been all my life’

I had always heard how much of a difference polarized lenses make on the water, but had always been too cheap to buy a pair I guess. I don’t have a better excuse. I’ve heard good things about the revos. I’m sure you will be pleased

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Oakley Prism polarized are top notch. I have a much cheaper pair of Native ploraized, and their pretty good too. Also came with clear and amber lenses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They aren't inexpensive but Maui Jim's are damn good imo.

Ric

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any thoughts on Skeleton optics with polarized Zeiss lenses ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT ... what part of Florida will you be fishing?
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    FT ... what part of Florida will you be fishing?
    Bud 'n Mary's, Key Islamarado...
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice !
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"