Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for AK

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for AK

I know a guy looking for an AK. Where should I send him and what should I recommend? He wants something nice with wood furniture.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the price it’s hard to beat a WASR. Stay away from the RAS47’s and C39’s
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rifle Dynamics

Downloads
    Uploads
    Arsenal M-7 Classic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a suggestion but rather another on topic question.

I have an old AK that I have had for ages. I have to look and see exactly what it is.

I would consider swapping it out for a nicer version.

If you had to rank them which would be considered low end, mid range, and high end?

On mine the sights are definitely canted and I don't trust the barrel treading to run it suppressed.

I bought this gun more than 10 years ago in pre Obama times with no real research.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 2. A converted saiga I converted myself and a custom build on a Romanian kit. They both are fantastic guns. I did the saiga cause I wanted a "Russian" ak and the Romanian was a deal I couldn't pass up. I think the better question is what does he want and why? Does he just want an AK or does he want an AK that looks like the one in Red Dawn, etc. Nice is a relative term. lol. Rifle Dynamics is where dreams are built. One day I will have one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a budget, WASR. If he's got a bit more cash, Arsenal SLR-107 series is a very good contender.

If he has monies to throw away like Dstrbmedic, I'd recommend a Jim Fuller gun haha
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thoughts on the PSAK-47? On sale through midnight...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
    Thoughts on the PSAK-47? On sale through midnight...
    How much was it? OOS

In any case - from all of my AK friends, they said to stay away from that; just like the RAS-47.
    Find my photos on: Flickr, Facebook, Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    How much was it? OOS

In any case - from all of my AK friends, they said to stay away from that; just like the RAS-47.
    $499. I passed on it. Although the Gen 2 seems to be getting better reviews than their original model.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Please pass on any American Made AK. A rifle assembled in the US with a parts kit would be fine. At the end of the day it's the trunion and bolt you need to worry about. No American company has mastered either.

I would and almost always recommend a WASR. Cold hammer forged barrel, forged trunion. Newer rifles have a better QC.
    Next I would recommend a VEPR. Then an Arsenal, Polish, Norinco, other Romanian rifles, Maadi, Hungarian, Yugo. A Saiga would be at the top of the list if you can find one.

"Production builders" like Krebs, Definitive Arms, Rifle Dynamics are all absolutely solid choices.

I would consider one of these personally, if he didn't want something imported with a barrel. These have a US barrel but other important parts are Hungarian.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
    Last edited by Pyzik; 21 February 2018 at 15:00.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys, I think he's settled on an N-PAP, liked the under folder, but I'll for sure pass this along.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aftermarket support is growing for the yugo's. I'm sure he'll be happy with it. Especially if he's not wanting to swap out a ton of parts.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Saiga would be at the top of the list if you can find one.
    What's the going market for a SGL nowadays? Asking for a friend.

There's only two on GB right now. One is in the middle of being bid on and the other isn't a true FIME gun, so it appears it's being valued lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    What's the going market for a SGL nowadays? Asking for a friend.

There's only two on GB right now. One is in the middle of being bid on and the other isn't a true FIME gun, so it appears it's being valued lower.
    At this point, whatever the buyer is willing to pay. I see them between 1200 and 1600 (and up). They're $800-900 AKs that we may never see imported again. Under $1000, buy it. $1200, if you're happy with the price and want a Russian gun, buy it. Anything more than that and I think we're getting high, but again, we may never see them again.

Look at polytechs..... perfect example.
    david@damagephotos.com