Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

6.8 spc and 6.5 grendel mags

I’ve been snatching up mag deals here lately when I find them. Got a pretty good pile and more on the way. I know in the future I’ll build a 6.8 or 6.5, so I’ve been looking at mags just to have them. No love from magpul, and there are a number of other no name (to me) making them and if you read on other forums, ‘who makes the best mag’ turns into a discussion similar to a ‘what scope...’ question.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience or input on mags that have worked for them. Not planning to buy a ton, but 5 or 6 each. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Magpul has said a long time ago they can’t produce PMags to acceptable tolerances for the AR15 in 6.8 because they’d be too thin

They work for the LWRCI 6.8 because of the oversized magwell I believe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Barrett and PRI make the most reliable 6.8 mags I’ve ever used. Not a fan of the Grendel at all. They had to gut the round just to overcome known pressure issues and a endless stream of broken bolts and barrel extensions. Looks like the .224 Valkyrie will quickly kill what’s left of that abortion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Magpul has said a long time ago they can’t produce PMags to acceptable tolerances for the AR15 in 6.8 because they’d be too thin

They work for the LWRCI 6.8 because of the oversized magwell I believe.
    I sure wish someone would sell stripped lowers to fit the Six8 Magpul’s.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I sure wish someone would sell stripped lowers to fit the Six8 Magpul’s.
    No kidding. LWRC seeks stripped sets now and again at an ungodly price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was all set for a grendel build and the Valkyrie started pulling me away from that idea. I can’t legally take deer with a .224 so that’s a drawback for me. Still leaning to a 6.8 however for that reason. If it wasn’t for Virginia’s caliber laws it’d be a no brainer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Barrett 6.8 mags have been flawless for me. And they are the only 6.8 mag that has been that way. PRI has a great design but my believe is the QC isn't great so can occasionally get mags with issues. On my PRI 10-rounder, the follower will snag on the waffle pattern when it is down to two rounds such that the nose of the feeding round is too low which will cause a FTF. I.e., the 9th shot will almost always have a FTF but only the 9th round. I believe this occurs on that particular mag because the welds are just slightly out of square, meaning it was a production issue not a design issue which also helps explain why complaints of PRI mags are sporadic. I sold all my ASC mags after routine FTF issues, although I see many people out there running them with no complaints.

Here are some tips on "tweaking" the feed lips of 6.8 mags (that aren't Barrett or PRI): http://68forums.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1248964678

Grendel? Never heard of her.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    No kidding. LWRC seeks stripped sets now and again at an ungodly price.
    I wouldn’t take a LWRC lower for free. shit company selling shit products. Local to me and run by scumbags. Funny how they carved out an exemption for Maryland sales of their rifles when their people were on the advisory board. All their barrels are considered “heavy” barrels and allow for sales in Maryland. Not even getting into the fact I had one of their pistols for 3 years and they had it for 2 trying to get it to function. Jammed first magazine through it after it was finally returned. One of the only weapons I’ve ever sold and at a loss.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    I was all set for a grendel build and the Valkyrie started pulling me away from that idea. I can’t legally take deer with a .224 so that’s a drawback for me. Still leaning to a 6.8 however for that reason. If it wasn’t for Virginia’s caliber laws it’d be a no brainer.
    The 6.8 is a fantastic white tail round, IMO, even with factory ammo which doesn't realize the full potential of the round given Remington's failure with the SAMI spec. If you reload you can push it harder.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    The 6.8 works very well for whitetails out to 300 yards. Beyond that shot placement is critical.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And with a 5 round limit any 20 round metal mag has worked for me. The trouble is getting near the capacity of the mag and the case taper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    The 6.8 works very well for whitetails out to 300 yards. Beyond that shot placement is critical.
    That’d be fine. Most of my hunting is in the mountains inside of 200 yards. Likely with a 16” barrel for maneuverability in the woods. Considered the 18”, but in the conditions it would see use for me, the trade off is negligible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have mostly Barrett magazines, but do have a few C Products. On a couple of the C Product mags, I had to trim some flash off the follower to keep them from dragging. Barretts have been flawless.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you reload, consider the PRI modified version for longer length. Cavity Back Bullets has them in stock currently.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of my favorite 6.8’s. The 16” barreled one I have gives up ALOT to this 20”. Almost 300 FPS on the crono.

Name:  DF4BB458-DD83-4272-9D69-DEB4E696360C.jpeg
Views: 430
Size:  2.45 MB