Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire cans

Downloads
    Uploads

Rimfire cans

I'm in the market for a rimfire suppressor. I was leaning very heavily towards the Griffin Optimus Micro, but since I already have a Recce 5 on the way I think I place more value on small size and light weight than I do versatility beyond rimfire so I'm now leaning towards the AAC Halcyon. My daughter is bit reluctant to shoot due to noise, so I'm thinking a compact, lightweight can will be good to help get her into the sport. It would mainly be used on rifles, including my 10/22 and the kids' Savage Rascal (which is a tiny youth rifle). I might get a .22LR pistol some day.

Any other cans I should consider that might bump the Halcyon out of top running?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My next rimfire will be the Q erector. Make it any size you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel like most of the 22lr cans I've shot are about the same. Boiler you seem to be a Griffin fan, so I'd just get the Optimus Mirco.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I just got done shopping for cans I had several that I was looking at. I also came to several conclusions about a bunch of things.

If the barrel of your 10/22 rifle is 1.7 pounds or less (for a 16" gun) the balance will not be effected by ANY rimfire can. Your barrel weight matters more than your can weight on a rifle. Shooting it on a pistol, it depends on the host weapon. For rifle shooting generally the weight won't matter. If you are teaching kids to shoot pistols suppressed they might not have the wrist strength to hold up a heavy can on a pistol. I am putting a full size Revolution 9 on my .22 pistol and it's fine---for an adult. A rimfire can will be substantially lighter than that, even the micro and especially many other options.

Really though for me construction matters a lot more than weight to me. Even if I am not going to use the can on other guns I still like the beef. Little light aluminum cans that you have to baby (ie the Q erector) with paper thin walls scare me in the sense that I fear they will be easier to damage.

Also something beefy that does not have aluminum baffles will be much easier to maintain. Those various funky baffle designs might work but they are a PITA to keep clean, and you will need to service your .22 can fairly regularly anyway.

For me my choices came down to the Q El Camino and the Rugged. It was really a 3 way tie for me between those two and the micro. I chose the Micro because I am neck deep in griffin already (and all my parts can be cross compatible) but also with the griffin can it has thicker walls (because it's design to withstand higher pressures). This also includes thicker walls around the areas that are threaded.

I don't have a lot of experience but my thought process was taking caps on and off all the time is one thing, but 5 years up the road a beefier can in my mind will provide better peace of mind. That is the reason why I didn't go with the El Camino. It might not mean anything, but that's how I thought about it. That rugged can looks awesome too. I was honestly torn. I still might start getting rugged cans going forward.

As I learn more about the durability over the long term (5-10 years) and maintenance and all that jive then who knows. Anything could be possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    My next rimfire will be the Q erector. Make it any size you want.
    Problem with that one IMHO is the construction is from what I heard sort of flimsy. I've talked to and heard from multiple people that feel that way. It's sort of gimmicky to me but the concept is cool I will give you that. I took the approach of a long term investment that might get banged around some. And from my experience, the more moving parts something has the more PITA is can be.

Your mileage may vary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW I think you can shoot that Rugged can in a shorty style as well. That would solve a lot for the pistol shooting but still allow for a beefy .22 can. Not as beefy but beefy enough for .22LR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first can was the SparrowSS. I works great, cleans pretty easily, and does a great job. It seems that the only recent design breakthrough in rimfire can tech is the first round pop reduction. I believe the Oculus 22 has one of the lowest FRP ratings out there. But right now, as long as it as stainless steel baffle construction, you really can't go wrong with any of the major providers (don't get a Huntertown can, they closed up shop)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Occulus wasn't on my radar, but that looks nice. The only thing that has me looking at the modular cans is the possibility of running the short configuration on my kid's rifle. If it was just for the 10/22 I'd likely just get the Optimus Micro.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There’s a video out there of a guy shooting the OPM on a Walther PPK/22. Can’t remember if he gave his thoughts on the weight/balance issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    The Occulus wasn't on my radar, but that looks nice. The only thing that has me looking at the modular cans is the possibility of running the short configuration on my kid's rifle. If it was just for the 10/22 I'd likely just get the Optimus Micro.
    In the end personally I chose the Micro but I was about an inch away from the Rugged one (at the time SS didn't have any Griffin cans in stock).

In the end I decided that I would not be running a .22 can in anything but regular size. On a rifle the difference would be negligible and on a pistol it would still be pretty loud. Plus I am a big fan of less moving parts. A single tube is more attractive to me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    There’s a video out there of a guy shooting the OPM on a Walther PPK/22. Can’t remember if he gave his thoughts on the weight/balance issue.
    I am using my revolution 9 right now as my current .22 can. I have it set up with the direct thread mount in the K configuration and it almost exactly mimics the weight of the micro. It really isn't bad at all. I imagine if you have a teeny tiny host it could make a difference but really it's not bad. It's heavier than other rimfire cans but it's not uncomfortable at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stop making fun of my teeny tiny host

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Stop making fun of my teeny tiny host
    Hey now, let's not get into a host measuring contest.

Here's that video you were talking about.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think this video convinced me to go with the Rugged Oculus for my next can. Appears to have good performance out of the short configuration.

I have a feeling I'll eventually end up with a GA Optimus Micro, too, as I really like its flexibility

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I think this video convinced me to go with the Rugged Oculus for my next can. Appears to have good performance out of the short configuration.

I have a feeling I'll eventually end up with a GA Optimus Micro, too, as I really like its flexibility
    Ding! Ding! Ding! You gave the correct WEVO answer... "Buy them all!"

I don't think you can go wrong. I would personally like a couple of Rugged cans myself. I have a lot of cans I would like to be honest :)