Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Issue w/ Elf trigger / Safety

So I got an Elftmann Match Trigger. I love the finger placement, the break... it has all the hallmarks of a fantastic trigger... except one.

I can actuate the safety to the safe position with the hammer decocked. I hate that. I tried it with two mil-spec safeties and a Battle Arms Development. The BAD will hesitate at half a throw, but can still be actuated with a small/medium amount of additional force. I like the trigger, I want to keep it, but I won't if my safety isn't acting normal.

I talked to the guy who runs Elftmann and he said they have had issues like that before, which is why they made their own safety, and promised me it would work.

Problem is, there is no way in hell I'm putting a push-button safety on an AR.

But now this begs the question, is it a tolerance thing? Would a different (I.e. better, in some way?) safety work properly? I'd be willing to buy one if it garaunteed me proper, normal function.

The trigger I was swapping out is a SD-E, a fine trigger in its own right. With it my safety has some play. It doesn't wobble or anything, but it will yield about 1/3 throw if depressed with the hammer decocked, then stop like its hit a wall.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why is it manufacturers always have a lame excuse to cover that their product is poorly designed and/or machined? Known issue so let’s sell band aids for it.

If it does not work with a mil spec safety I’d run far away.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, that's kinda what I'm doing. Supposedly he'll get me taken care of Monday, I'm just seeing if there's an opportunity for a last minute save.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    That explains why those goofy push button safetys turned up. I wondered whose bright idea that was.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has to be frustrating but I’d never trust the safety on it. Just the way I am.

It’s the reason I took the Geissele triggers out of my SCAR’s. It you swung the safety a millimeter the weapon would fire. Gone after first range trip.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got an le mil flat service trigger.

Never had that issue and just tried this again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    It has to be frustrating but I’d never trust the safety on it. Just the way I am.

It’s the reason I took the Geissele triggers out of my SCAR’s. It you swung the safety a millimeter the weapon would fire. Gone after first range trip.
    Good way to be... If the safety can’t/won’t do it’s job as intended, you’re playing with fire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I've got an le mil flat service trigger.

Never had that issue and just tried this again.
    Maybe I've just got bad luck. It's in my Rainier lower, I've noticed any normal 3 piece trigger I drop in isn't as crisp as it is if I try it in my other lowers. Mine is the Match, maybe I need to look at the LW MIL and see what the differences are. It is badass, just the safety thing...

Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Good way to be... If the safety can’t/won’t do it’s job as intended, you’re playing with fire.
    I feel. Safety functions normally when the rifle is charged. It can be on safe and it won't drop the hammer. Just feels wrong to be able to manipulate the safety with the weapon decocked.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to ask you if you tried it in another lower but I figured if you talked to the manufacturer that would be first thing on the list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I was going to ask you if you tried it in another lower but I figured if you talked to the manufacturer that would be first thing on the list.
    Actually to be honest I didn't. I have an engraved lower that is my favorite (the Rainier). I didn't try others because that's the specific gun I want to put it in, with that lower. No sense in putting what would be my nicest trigger in an AR that plays second fiddle to my primary.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had one of their triggers go to shit in under 2500 rounds. That being said the push button safety is pretty slick.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    I had one of their triggers go to shit in under 2500 rounds. That being said the push button safety is pretty slick.
    Really...? It's always struck me as gimmicky. Sounds like you've tried one? I'd be worried about the safety getting bumped off when slinging the weapon.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    My elf is in my wevo Rainier lower.

The le mil.service trigger isn't as light as others they make...so maybe that's it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    My elf is in my wevo Rainier lower.

The le mil.service trigger isn't as light as others they make...so maybe that's it.
    I think I've seen the build your talking about. The WEVO Rainer lower was billet right? Mine is forged, so prob not as tight on the tolerances.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Just feels wrong to be able to manipulate the safety with the weapon decocked.
    Interesting. Personally, I wish I could put my AR on safe no matter the condition of the weapon. Same reason I dislike 1911s.