Downloads
    Uploads

Barnes 62gr TTSX load

I decided to post this because there’s very little posted information out there for this particular Barnes bullet: the 62gr Tipped Triple Shock X bullets (TTSX). Barnes’ posted data between the 5.56mm and .223 Rem has such a discrepancy I decided I had to work them up myself starting with a MUCH lower amount giving me a larger margin of error, and also the 5.56mm data seemed extremely high compared to the .223 data: the 223 max is 25.5gr compressed and the 5.56mm MINIMUM is 25.2 (Looking at RE15 & Varget specifically)

I know 5.56 cases have marginally more capacity than 223, but with the size of the bullet and the required seating depth, I don’t know how some of that data is safe......so work up your loads!!!

L to R: 69gr SMK, 62gr TTSX, 77gr SMK, 73gr ELD-M, 77gr TMK

I settled on 24.4gr of Reloder 15 @ 2.250” while testing 8208XBR, CFE223, and RE15. Didn’t chrono it but Quickload puts it at about 2720fps. I found accuracy to be the best in a node between 24.1-24.4 and decided to go with 24.4gr since this is a hunting load and I wanted to wring as much out of the combo between accuracy and velocity. The solid copper bullets are great hunting bullets because they retain a significant amount of weight when they expand rather than fragment immediately which makes them a great choice for hogs as well as other small game. These are NOT precision bullets like the TMKs and ELD-Ms. My best group was probably 7/8” @ 100yds and they were consistently around 1.25”, for the record

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey thanks for the info, I'm gonna be working up a load for the Barnes bullet soon... In your opinion which is best for an AR/15 16" 1-9 barrel...
    Life member of the Swamp Crazy Redneck Deplorable Dregs
    Better to have it & not need it then to need it & not have it
    It's NOT the Bill of Needs, Its the Bill Of RIGHTS !

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstienARshooter View Post
    Hey thanks for the info, I'm gonna be working up a load for the Barnes bullet soon... In your opinion which is best for an AR/15 16" 1-9 barrel...
    It’s a long bullet, so I would test out the 62gr on paper for sure. If your rifle shoots a 69gr SMK recently I’d give the Barnes TTSX a shot

PM me if you have a question; I really just saw this (wasn’t ignoring it)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstienARshooter View Post
    Length of the bullet matters more than just the grain weight for stabilization in slower twist barrels. Because copper is lighter than lead you get physically bigger bullets for the same grain weight, and since they can't grow in diameter they grow in length.

I have a 1/8 twist that shoots 69gr SMK like a dream. You may or may not be able to get away with the Barnes 62gr or 69gr in your 1/9 but you would have to test it out to know for sure.

I have no idea what the limits are on a 1/9 barrel but going and just buying a box or two of heavier grain ammo and trying it out will answer that question. If you say bought one box of 69 gr and you can test for stability out of your gun. Bullet wobble or keyholes is obviously not acceptable, especially if you are shooting suppressed.

If your gun will stabilize a 69gr I would venture to say that it will handle the Barnes 62gr as well. Other people might know about this already but I don't since I stay away from 1/9 twists.

In the chart above those loads for the 62gr [for Varget] are almost identical to what I use for my match 69 gr SMK loads.

In short I 100% concur with Former11B. He knows his stuff. Wise advice and worth $20ish to test some 69gr MatchKings before you get too far off into the weeds.

Edit: It's also worth noting that your desired range to shoot at is also a consideration. If your shots are all going to be maybe 200 yards and in that's one thing, but if you have too slow of a twist rate as the bullet goes down range it will lose momentum and hence stability at longer ranges. Usually I would say for an AR 300 yards is about the turning point.

So in theory if you shoot a bullet out of a 1/9 twist it could be perfectly stable off your bench at 100 yards, but at 300 after the bullet itself and everything else slows down it will quickly erode stability. Somewhere between 200 and 300 yards is where you can see this difference.

A faster twist rate will keep your bullet stable at farther ranges, if that's your thing. At 200 yards or less it's not really a consideration.

I just thought about that last part so I figured I would add that little note here in to this post.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 26 January 2019 at 21:41.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    It’s a long bullet, so I would test out the 62gr on paper for sure. If your rifle shoots a 69gr SMK recently I’d give the Barnes TTSX a shot

PM me if you have a question; I really just saw this (wasn’t ignoring it)
    Those Barnes 62 grainers look like they have a longer bearing surface than the 69 SMK. From the base of the ojive to the top of the boat tail about how much different are those two bullets? From here they look very similar.

I only mention that because if he's gonna test for stabilization he might want to buy a box of 69 and a box of 75 grain ammo to see if it stabilizes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Those Barnes 62 grainers look like they have a longer bearing surface than the 69 SMK. From the base of the ojive to the top of the boat tail about how much different are those two bullets? From here they look very similar.

I only mention that because if he's gonna test for stabilization he might want to buy a box of 69 and a box of 75 grain ammo to see if it stabilizes.
    It’s fairly close to a 69gr. The 75gr Hornadys are roughly the same length and have the same bearing surface as a 77gr SMK, they just have a much more sharply angled ogive and the boat tail has a sharper taper.

I suggested the 69s because they’re easy to find in most places but if his rifle stabilizes a 68gr or 75gr Hornady (if the 69s aren’t available), he will likely be in good shape