Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR Scope Mounts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    One optic per rifle. No QD mounts. That's my preference; not implying anything against other's choices.
    That is my preference too. By FAR. My wallet though... my wallet LOL! If I hit the lotto or all my stocks go up by a lot that would be ideal. Otherwise I am going to have to save for a while to get good optics. Right now for what I have planned already--if I go premium that's roughly 10 grand to fit everything with good glass.

That is part of the reason I research stuff out so much. I only have so much money so I want to spend wisely.

I would like to have a room full of guns on my 1,000 acre ranch with a giant automated reloading room, but I might have to decide on one gun at a time and go from there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    That is my preference too. By FAR. My wallet though... my wallet LOL! If I hit the lotto or all my stocks go up by a lot that would be ideal. Otherwise I am going to have to save for a while to get good optics. Right now for what I have planned already--if I go premium that's roughly 10 grand to fit everything with good glass.

That is part of the reason I research stuff out so much. I only have so much money so I want to spend wisely.

I would like to have a room full of guns on my 1,000 acre ranch with a giant automated reloading room, but I might have to decide on one gun at a time and go from there.
    While I do get dealer or industry pricing on a lot of stuff, high end rifles and optics are expensive no matter what. I have nice setups because I am very selective, and don't waste money on multiple ARs that are going to sit in my safe (not saying you do this). Figure out what your need is, build something specifically for that if you're going to actually use it a lot, and get rid of everything you don't use unless it has sentimental value.

People who own 10+ ARs could cull that down to 2 rifles and have lots of money left over for some high end glass, a decent bolt gun, or even a transferable machine gun, depending on what you're into.

One of my friends dug through his safes and sold off $40,000+ worth of title 1 firearms, parts, and random gear. All of it was rarely shot/used, and some things he had forgotten he owned. He then turned around and purchased a beater transferable M16 lower and a Fleming HK sear with that money, which will only gain value over time even as he uses them.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I do get dealer or industry pricing on a lot of stuff, high end rifles and optics are expensive no matter what. I have nice setups because I am very selective, and don't waste money on multiple ARs that are going to sit in my safe (not saying you do this). Figure out what your need is, build something specifically for that if you're going to actually use it a lot, and get rid of everything you don't use unless it has sentimental value.

People who own 10+ ARs could cull that down to 2 rifles and have lots of money left over for some high end glass, a decent bolt gun, or even a transferable machine gun, depending on what you're into.

One of my friends dug through his safes and sold off $40,000+ worth of title 1 firearms, parts, and random gear. All of it was rarely shot/used, and some things he had forgotten he owned. He then turned around and purchased a beater transferable M16 lower and a Fleming HK sear with that money, which will only gain value over time even as he uses them.
    I am very much like that. I am VERY selective. For like a year the guys here gave me crap over that. LOL! It's fine, it was deserved. HAHAA!

I don't mind having a lot of firearms by any means. I could blow $100 grand in no time, but I would rather have nicer stuff than just a lot of stuff. I also like to be practical too. For the time being I haven't been able to make any big purchases, but I really (I mean quite a lot) enjoy the long range stuff. The other day when I was shooting out to 1,400 yards (check out my thread) I was having SO MUCH FUN.

I don't shoot for a living or because I am a ninja assassin. I just enjoy it. Ultra long range stuff just turns me on.

I have a bunch of stuff that I still want though. That said if I got a million bucks next week I would probably invest in a really good automated or semi automated reloading setup. I would be neck deep in ammo. My thinking is why buy a ton of guns and not have ammo for them?

I just have to put a lot of thought into exactly what rifle I want and pester people that know stuff until I learn. I like nice stuff but not really status symbol stuff. Once I make up my mind I just have to save up.

In the mean time I will keep on playing the stock market and buying lotto tickets. If either one of those hits big then why not just have it all? LOL!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    LOL! Good advice!

I am not screwing with it just to be screwing with it. This was my first ever AR and since then I never changed the setup at all. The mount being too high for me actually has been semi sort of bugging me for a while now. I kind of have to get in an awkward position to see properly with the one I have now. Of course I have learned to live with it for quite a long time already, but now I can adjust it more to my liking, especially now that I have almost 4 years with it to know what I want to do.

I actually just removed the scope base from my rail and did the old stacking pennies thing to try and replicate what the new rings will be. I used some masking tape and taped it down and it seems like it would feel a lot better and a more relaxed shooting position with a little bit lower of rings.

Thank you for that too. Seriously. That is great info to know.

It helps to have so many experienced shooters/builders here that help each other out. I definitely checked on that too and with the rings and that specific scope if I put the front ring on the very front section on the upper the back of the bell housing is very close to where it was at. I just kind of eyeballed it and it seems like it's very close. That is without using the hand guard sections at all.

It fits, but just barely to have the exact same placement. The exact difference will depend on how wide the rings are but just eyeballing it it would be within 1/4 of an inch or so (back) from the previous spot, if that. It might even wind up being the same.
    I’m not saying the military is the end all be all, but I saw a ton of Mk12 Mod 1s with the front ring (ARMS) on the KAC RAS. The Mod 0s have the swan sleeve over the PRI tube so it was definitely the Mod 1. And with the abuse the rifles endure, I didn’t see any issues develop. I ran Vortex precision rings on my 18” SPR on the rail for a few years with no problems either.

If the setup is solid I’m not sure it’s such a taboo thing to do.

OP, I don’t have the ring setup anymore though. I do like a solid non QD mount like Vortex’s offering because the scope stays level in the mount. I also have a Larue SPR-E mount and have had no loss of POI after removing/replacing it

Downloads
    Uploads

As usual, great advice. While I don't wish for another run on firearms, for now I'm just sitting on a couple of rifles because I know I can't really unload them very easily in this market. I'm sure that will change eventually...and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in 2020-21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’m not saying the military is the end all be all, but I saw a ton of Mk12 Mod 1s with the front ring (ARMS) on the KAC RAS. The Mod 0s have the swan sleeve over the PRI tube so it was definitely the Mod 1. And with the abuse the rifles endure, I didn’t see any issues develop. I ran Vortex precision rings on my 18” SPR on the rail for a few years with no problems either.

If the setup is solid I’m not sure it’s such a taboo thing to do.

OP, I don’t have the ring setup anymore though. I do like a solid non QD mount like Vortex’s offering because the scope stays level in the mount. I also have a Larue SPR-E mount and have had no loss of POI after removing/replacing it
    I’ve personally seen 2 rifles string shots vertically from a front ring on the hand guard. As the barrel nut expanded both rifles would consistently string shots to ultimately being about 6” low. After a cool down zero returned to the correct POA. Not even getting into the stresses placed on the optic tube from the upper flexing during recoil.