Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Scope Mounts

Downloads
    Uploads

AR Scope Mounts

Quickly to get you guy's input on this...

I see most of you prefer using one piece mounts for your AR setups, but is there any reason for this vs say using scope rings?

What is the downside to using rings vs a one piece mount?

Or is there a downside?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    One piece QD.

Obviously because it's QD, but also because you can get extended mounts and not have to put a ring on the forend if you're like me and prefer the scope pushed a little more forward.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    One piece QD.

Obviously because it's QD, but also because you can get extended mounts and not have to put a ring on the forend if you're like me and prefer the scope pushed a little more forward.
    I just have the option to get a really good deal on some rings and I was wondering 'why not'. The height on my mount now is 1.5 inches and it's a one piece, but not QD. (Aero mount). I was just kind of contemplating if rings have any kind of disadvantage in the AR world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mainly for the QD. Repeat ability to zero when taking the optic off to clean is another consideration.

Honestly in the last few years I've gone to a lot of dedicated optics, so the QD is not necessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Mainly for the QD. Repeat ability to zero when taking the optic off to clean is another consideration.

Honestly in the last few years I've gone to a lot of dedicated optics, so the QD is not necessary.
    I have never removed my scope from my rifle from the day it's been zeroed. I am not really doing a whole lot of QD this or that. Moving to a good set of rings vs the Aero mount I am just wondering if that might be something to consider since I can get those rings for next to nothing.

I am also trying to sort out the height thing to see if that will make any difference.

But for an SPR rifle that has generally a dedicated use (precision) I wouldn't think rings would have any disadvantage but then again I am a noob.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have never removed my scope from my rifle from the day it's been zeroed. ..........But for an SPR rifle that has generally a dedicated use (precision) I wouldn't think rings would have any disadvantage but ......
    If it's a dedicated precision target rifle, and you like your current set-up, don't screw with it, just to be screwing with it.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Separate rings on an AR15 make it very difficult to get proper eye relief since you shouldn't place the forward one on the handguard. One piece mounts allow you to cantilever over the handguard.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    If it's a dedicated precision target rifle, and you like your current set-up, don't screw with it, just to be screwing with it.

FT
    LOL! Good advice!

I am not screwing with it just to be screwing with it. This was my first ever AR and since then I never changed the setup at all. The mount being too high for me actually has been semi sort of bugging me for a while now. I kind of have to get in an awkward position to see properly with the one I have now. Of course I have learned to live with it for quite a long time already, but now I can adjust it more to my liking, especially now that I have almost 4 years with it to know what I want to do.

I actually just removed the scope base from my rail and did the old stacking pennies thing to try and replicate what the new rings will be. I used some masking tape and taped it down and it seems like it would feel a lot better and a more relaxed shooting position with a little bit lower of rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Separate rings on an AR15 make it very difficult to get proper eye relief since you shouldn't place the forward one on the handguard. One piece mounts allow you to cantilever over the handguard.
    Thank you for that too. Seriously. That is great info to know.

It helps to have so many experienced shooters/builders here that help each other out. I definitely checked on that too and with the rings and that specific scope if I put the front ring on the very front section on the upper the back of the bell housing is very close to where it was at. I just kind of eyeballed it and it seems like it's very close. That is without using the hand guard sections at all.

It fits, but just barely to have the exact same placement. The exact difference will depend on how wide the rings are but just eyeballing it it would be within 1/4 of an inch or so (back) from the previous spot, if that. It might even wind up being the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Using rings on a machined steel rail property bedded on a bolt gun is a far cry from the fairly loose tolerances held on most aluminum uppers. Slippers point is by far the biggest reason but even on the longer AR10’s when you check rings with alignment rods they are more often than not far out of alignment. Even torqued to spec when loosened and reinstalled they are often off again.

The Bobro individual rings and Spuhr seem to be the exception, my guess is due to the longer base and the extremely tight tolerances from those companies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Using rings on a machined steel rail property bedded on a bolt gun is a far cry from the fairly loose tolerances held on most aluminum uppers. Slippers point is by far the biggest reason but even on the longer AR10’s when you check rings with alignment rods they are more often than not far out of alignment. Even torqued to spec when loosened and reinstalled they are often off again.

The Bobro individual rings and Spuhr seem to be the exception, my guess is due to the longer base and the extremely tight tolerances from those companies.
    Slippers is definitely the man!

My upper is a CMT so I am figuring it's pretty close to on spec, but even if it's not 'exact' that's ok. I just need something that will hold on tight and be good enough to withstand 5.56.

Once I put it on there as long as it's more comfortable to shoot I won't be taking it off and putting it back on. The other mount has been on there for 4 years (until tonight).

The problem being solved here is that I realized long ago that the mount was slightly too high and that throws a lot of other stuff out of whack. Up until now I just never did anything about it.

I do shoot that gun longer ranges from time to time. I can hit out to 800 yards with it but that's all academic. If I can get the scope leveled and rezeroed I think I will be good to go. Slipper's point about eye relief was definitely spot on the money. Worst case scenario is I will either find a new one piece mount that is lower, or I will remount it back the old way. I am confident that the rings will work out though because at least from eyeballing it I won't have to push the scope way back. That would be awkward in and of itself and cause yet a different problem.

When I finally get around to forking out the money for good optics I will definitely hit you guys up. That SPHUR mount is something else. After the other day shooting the Nightforce set up-- I am now hooked on champagne tastes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eye relief has a lot to do with my love of Magpul PRS stocks. I’m not a huge fan of the extreme extended one piece mounts. I much rather run the optic a little further back than use a mount that hangs a large portion of the optics weight out over the base.

You think you are hooked now on good glass, wait until you get some years on those eyes. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Eye relief has a lot to do with my love of Magpul PRS stocks. I’m not a huge fan of the extreme extended one piece mounts. I much rather run the optic a little further back than use a mount that hangs a large portion of the optics weight out over the base.

You think you are hooked now on good glass, wait until you get some years on those eyes. Lol
    I still haven't fully decided what I am going to do yet in the way of bolt guns. I am thinking that since optics are an arm and a leg--- and since I don't know my way around the nuances of bolt guns---I am sort of in the same boat as I was when I first started with AR's. IE "Why is this lower $100 and that one $250?"

Because of that I might get some input and buy a satisfactory off the shelf .308 with a Remington 700 action on it and then buy a 20 MOA SPHUR and a good 5-25 that would pull double duty for a while. After I get some time under my belt I will have a better idea of what I want to upgrade and what doesn't really make a difference.

Here are some options of just the rough idea of what I would be looking at.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...del-700-magpul

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...agpul-enhanced

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol.../model-700-pcr

Eventually when I get the money I want a 1,600 yard shooter (at least). I am thinking 6.5 CM but who knows. But if I buy a good SPHUR mount and a nice optic I could move it from rifle to rifle with just a little bit of re-zeroing required. That will get me by until I can come up with another few thousand bucks for optics and mounts for everything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Really appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With my insurance company, if I use QD attachments on my scopes, red dots and lights its not considered a permanent part of the rifle. If my rifles are ever stolen my scopes and MRD's are covered under personal property and not under the firearm waiver which ends at 10K. I have almost that in glass alone which if stolen I could recoup those costs. Food for thought.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Moving scopes between rifles is kind of a pain. Yeah, you can record the adjustments to zero on each, but then your zero stops are possibly different, and if you ever dial for elevation you have to remember that you're starting at a different value. The last thing I want to do is reset the zero hold turret on my atacr 4-16 every time I remount it on a different rifle. That would be a serious annoyance.

One optic per rifle. No QD mounts. That's my preference; not implying anything against other's choices.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com