Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

School me on 45 ACP AR Platforms

I have "The Itch" again ... this time looking at a 45ACP AR. Probably a 7.5" barrel.
    Build or buy?
    Receiver manufacturers you have used - pros / cons? If you have used a 9mm set instead, that info is useful also.
    What works best?
    Things to avoid?
    Must haves?
    Lower compatible with Glock 45ACP magazines.
    Shims required for suppressor use?

I don't know what I don't know, so tell me what I am missing.

I did a search (weak kung-fu) so if there is a thread I missed, pop a link please. Main thread I found had posts by UW building a 9mm with New Frontier receiver(s).
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny you posted this, I was just looking yesterday & couldn't find a thread either. I just ordered a Faxon 10" .45 barrel and aluminum Streamline handguards, with the eventual aim of adding a suppressor & having it pinned/welded and using it with my Cav Arms/Sabre Defense poly lower. I'm conflicted as to whether I should stick with the Hahn buffer & grease gun mag well insert I've got already, or swap the insert for a Glock model. (Side note, I wish magpul made .45 glock mags).

My concerns are which bolt/BCG will work best with my setup. There's a decent number of them out there to choose from, and all the reviews say each one is the best so that's no help. Back when (2006?) there was a guy on tacticalunderground.us who worked for Cav Arms, had a suppressed .45 upper on one of their lowers and was more than happy to discuss it. I wish he was still around, or I could find someone who has experience with these things nowadays.

Macon Armory apparently makes a DI upper. Everything else is blowback.

There's a couple threads on ar15.com, but I haven't had a day off to look at them all yet and see if there's anything worthwhile.

ETA: I'm gonna have to go with a glock magwell insert. Silly me forgot the need for an ejector, which is built in to the Oly upper. Trying to use greasegun mags without the Oly upper won't work...sigh.
    Last edited by PJD642; 28 March 2018 at 11:09.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not exactly the same thing, but something like this turns me on. LOL!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's telling the Noveske SHOT Show gun wasn't even functional, no trigger, cobbled together with UMP mags and Honey Badger Stock. You'd think they'd have something more put together for SHOT. Interesting concept, but I'm wondering if it even runs.

I'm still holding out hope for the LWRC version.

Jerry, I find that 45 ACP options are limited in the AR platform. Most are geared around the 9mm. Colt carriers will work on Glock mags, but not vise versa. I like the Quarter Circle 10 stuff, high quality, and lots of different options, Colt Mags, MP5 Mags, ect. Not just limited to Glock mags. I think receivers built around Glock Mags also look corny. Obviously just aesthetics.

More thoughts later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    QC10 9mm Colt Mag version.

If I had to do it again, I'd dump the XProducts ROC Stock.

Name:  5S3A4530.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  817.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    UW, with the PDW stock ... is that a pistol or SBR ? I want to stick with pistol, at least for now.

I have an email in to New Frontier. They offer a compete 8" 45ACP upper, with your choice of a 7" MLOK or KeyMod rail, for $400 (currently OOS) and a complete Glock compatible lower, with a KAK blade kit, for $445 (currently in stock). $850 built is a relatively cheap intro into a pistol caliber AR. Thoughts ........... ??
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    UW, with the PDW stock ... is that a pistol or SBR ?
    I think you answered your own question.

I'd look at KAW Valley Stuff as well. They make barrels, handguards, BCGs, and comps for 9mm platforms. All very affordable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Step 1: Build time machine.

Step 2: Travel back to 2012-2013 when dealers were fire-selling H&K USCs.

Step 3: Put USC away in a safe deposit box

Step 4: Put money away over the following several years and travel back to modern times.

Step 5: Pull USC out of the bank, send off to have it converted to a UMP with money you saved.

I think this is a solid plan with only some minor logistical issues.

I got to shoot an actual UMP at a PatMac class that a LEO next to me had. When he saw I wasn't a Crye-Commando, he handed me the gun and a couple of stick mags and said go have fun (having agency-paid ammo helped with that). Kind of fun, kind of MP5-ish. I didn't even flick the switch. Shooting 45ACP was fun enough with the red dot in semi-auto.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

Step 4: Put money away over the following several years and travel back to modern times.

Step 5: Pull USC out of the bank, send off to have it converted to a UMP with money you saved.

I got to shoot an actual UMP at a PatMac class that a LEO next to me had. When he saw I wasn't a Crye-Commando, he handed me the gun and a couple of stick mags and said go have fun (having agency-paid ammo helped with that). Kind of fun, kind of MP5-ish. I didn't even flick the switch. Shooting 45ACP was fun enough with the red dot in semi-auto.
    What logistical problem(s). Just take my DeLorean. Problem solved.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads

Heh.

I totally recall this, and didn't think about it much. Same with SL8's, I kept thinking man these things are so ugly, they'll never move.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Heh.

I totally recall this, and didn't think about it much. Same with SL8's, I kept thinking man these things are so ugly, they'll never move.
    At the time this was happening, I was still living in CA, so they were moving even more slowly, since they weren't an AR. I was also cutting myself off from buying anything major like another complete firearm. Overall, a good plan, but I do wish I had grabbed one of these at the time for what they were going for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great plan, but step one costs a little more than the build
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Great plan, but step one costs a little more than the build
    Again, Marty McFly, take the DeLorean. Man, you guys make these things so complicated.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seriously, if you start this project, start taking and posting pics from start to finish. I'd bet there's quite of few people here that would like to see this, myself included. I'd love to have one myself. I've thought it through, but didn't know if there were parts available to do an AR pistol in .45 ACP. That would move you to the very top of the "cool" kid heap, right away.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads

Step 2: Travel back to 1983-84 when dealers were fire-selling H&K sear packs for $200. Buy them all.

Step 3: return to whatever post-ban period you like.

Step 4: Enjoy being stupid rich.
    Fixed that for ya. []
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!