Downloads
    Uploads

Rainier Mod 2 Ultramatch - Ammo

Okay, so I put this Rainier Arms Ultramatch MOD2 in my SPR. Went out of town and got busy, haven't been able to shoot it with this barrel.

Hitting the range next week with it finally. Anyone have experience with these barrels and a particular ammo it's liked? Thinking of grabbing some 77gr OTMs, some 62gr, and other heavy rounds.

What do you guys recommend?

Here are the deets:
    Length: 18"
    Twist: 1:7.5
    .800 Gas Block Seat
    .223 Wylde Chamber
    Rifle Gas System

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pyzik; 30 March 2018 at 13:57.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't answer for that barrel but I've had good luck with federal match and Hornady match as well.

Something 75 or 77 grain should be good.

If you have a chronograph take it and see what velocity you are getting and compare that to the results.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Paging Former11B

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Paging Former11B
    Is that who it is? I knew there were several of these barrels here and was thinking there was an 18 incher

Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try Hornady factory 73gr ELD-M and Black Hills 77gr Tipped Match Kings if you can

Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal Match with 77gr SMKs should do really well; CBC 77s never shot superbly well for me in anything (not the precision I wanted and knew the barrels could achieve)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hoping I can find something locally. Really hoping to find the hornadys or SMKs. We will see.

Thanks for the heads up.

david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven’t shot a AR that hasn’t liked some 69gr smk’s

Also since you haven’t shot it, I’d start off running some different 55gr stuff thru it to see how it does and also to get some lead in that barrel.

I also have pretty good luck with the 52 gr smk’s

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I haven’t shot a AR that hasn’t liked some 69gr smk’s

Also since you haven’t shot it, I’d start off running some different 55gr stuff thru it to see how it does and also to get some lead in that barrel.

I also have pretty good luck with the 52 gr smk’s
    I've got few boxes of cheap ammo I was going to do just that with. And get on paper. Then start dialing in with the pricier stuff. With the 1:7.5 twist I'm thinking it's going to like the heavier rounds.

Picked up a few boxes of Hornady Black, 75gr. I was surprised just how many options there were.
    There was one box of 77gr SMK but it was $27/box and I'll be honest, I have a hard time justifying that price for .223/5.56 for punching paper and not really knowing what I'm doing yet.
    The Hornady was $17. Hopefully the barrel likes it.

I do want to try some of the Rainier stuff.
    https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...ct-reman-ammo/

A buddy reloads too, I may just buy some components and head to his house.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I ever see it on sale again, I’ll buy as much as I can afford of Federal/American Eagle 50gr Varmint/Black tip ammo. Got it on sale for like 18 cents a round six months or so ago....about the same price as the bullet itself. That stuff is laser accurate at 200yds.

I started handloading about the same time as I started shooting precision-ish AR and .308; it only makes sense for volume shooting and precision ammunition. The quality control and price per round is unmatched.

If you need any pointers or suggestions just holler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    If I ever see it on sale again, I’ll buy as much as I can afford of Federal/American Eagle 50gr Varmint/Black tip ammo. Got it on sale for like 18 cents a round six months or so ago....about the same price as the bullet itself. That stuff is laser accurate at 200yds.

I started handloading about the same time as I started shooting precision-ish AR and .308; it only makes sense for volume shooting and precision ammunition. The quality control and price per round is unmatched.

If you need any pointers or suggestions just holler
    I may. I don't have the time to sit and roll my own at the moment (let alone the space).
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to bring my 308 with me this week but I had so much fun with the SPR last week I brought it again. Hitting the range again this week.
    Brought my steel with me. Will put a shoot'n see on it and see what kind of groups I can get.

Weather is supposed to break Thursday. I may not wait that long.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    So how did it like the hornady stuff?

Ya paying for factory match ammo is harsh after reloading for a while, I was making 69gr stuff that shot bug holes for about .16 cents using a smk, my 77gr nosler loads are about .20-22 cents.. so a lot more affordable and more shooting :)

That 50gr stuff is a good factory round for the price, I wish I had more also

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    So how did it like the hornady stuff?

Ya paying for factory match ammo is harsh after reloading for a while, I was making 69gr stuff that shot bug holes for about .16 cents using a smk, my 77gr nosler loads are about .20-22 cents.. so a lot more affordable and more shooting :)

That 50gr stuff is a good factory round for the price, I wish I had more also
    I'll be buying some of the 62gr stuff today or tomorrow to try. So far the 75gr was just under moa at 50 yards. I couldn't retrieve my target so I didn't get a pic. Absolutely more accurate than the 55gr Fiochi I was using that day too. I a little over an inch spread at 50 with it. Once I got out to 200 and 300 I couldn't rereive targets either. I was shooting at beat up steel anyway, no clue what accuracy was, just knew I was hitting it.

I will be keeping all my targets this week to show.
    david@damagephotos.com