I figured I would start a thread to document my little pet project and later on if other people want to add their projects too that will be fine.

I've had my first Recce 5 for a while now and basically put the finish has started to wear off. When I was brand new into the suppressor world I had my Silencer Shop oven mitt and while the can was still cooking hot I tried to make sure it was still snug. Whatever finish they used is very durable --when it's cool-- but when the can is hot like that it seems to soften up quite a bit.

Another thing I did is I set my SBR on my mule seat and the vibrations of the buggy also kind of wore some of the finish off. Other than that it had a nice ring around it just from shooting the thing. I pretty much baby my stuff but it starting to get a little rust on there just overwhelmed my OCD.

After that and quite a bit of normal wear and tear--I decided to try to repaint it.

Normally I really SUCK at painting things so this time I intentionally took my time and I think it turned out ok. I had a really low humidity day and it was about 75 degrees out so I got an old metal coat hangar and rigged it up where the suppressor would hang straight up and down, mount side down.

Then I washed the suppressor really good with soap and water and dried it off with some paper towels making sure I didn't touch it with my bare fingers. After that I hung it up with my pre made hanger, then sprayed it down with non chlorinated disk brake cleaner. I use that non chlorinated disk brake cleaner to deep clean my guns and it works great. It will strip off all the old build up and whatever--and oils--all while not harming the metals or polymers used for guns.

Once that was dry I really just took my time and paid attention to how far the can was away from my target and did a bunch of quick spurts evenly all around the can length wise. I gave it about 15 or 20 minutes to dry and gave it another light coat, then repeated it 2 or 3 more times, with a light coat each time. The final time I let it cure for around one and half hours or more (per the instructions on the paint).

Here is the stuff I used. I chose this one because it says the temperature rating is a lot higher. Also it says it stops rust. This was the highest temp rating I could find. They had some grill paint that was 1,200 degrees rated but they didn't have the color I wanted so I kind of default chose this one. It was really a toss up between the two so I figured higher heat tolerance might be better so I just picked one.

Name:  paint.jpeg
Views: 242
Size:  25.0 KB

Pretty much I followed the directions to the tee. That includes after it air dried for 1-2 hours to heat cure it. I am currently baking it in the oven while it's still on it's hanger.

The directions say to bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes, then let it cool. Then 400 degrees for 30 minutes and let it cool, then do another bake for 30 minutes and let it cool.

Supposedly according to the directions this process leads to maximum durability. I will let you know how that turns out.

Once I get done doing all the baking and curing process I will put up a photo of the finished product and will periodically post up any updates whether they be good or bad.

I have been wanting to do this for a while now but I figured I would document the process in case anyone else wanted to try it too. More than anything I will keep tabs on how well this product works for a purpose it's not really intended for.

All comments are welcome good or bad. Pics of the can probably coming tomorrow as I have another bake to go. It will be around 11pm by the time the whole process is done.