Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    375
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Vehicle Handgun Mount/Storage Options

    Wasnít sure the best place to put this but I landed here. Basically I would like to start keeping a handgun (probably a Glock 19) in my vehicle at all times in addition to what Iím carrying. Iím leaning toward a steering column mount but would like some general feedback and would really appreciate product suggestions. If it matters, I drive a 2014 Chevy Impala. Main concern is to still have semi quick access but for it not to be completely sitting in the open.
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,860
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    So you want to keep a gun in the car and on your person at the same time? I find that if you practice your draw from the sitting position, it's better than trying to find it while you're sitting in the car and haven't practiced getting to it.

    Personally, I hate leaving a gun in the car. They get stolen, all the freaking time. People say they'll secure it, but rarely do.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,941
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    When I used to carry at 4:00 drawing was impossible when belted in. Appendix carry is much easier.

    What I used to do and still do (sometimes) is carry a little molle man purse in the car and will put my carry gun on the seat next to me. If I go into some place that does not allow carry I can always stash the gun the little bag which fits easily under seats and is out of sight. I can also stuff it in between the driver's or passenger's seat and the console while driving for really fast access.

    Before I had a console vault, which I actually really liked. If you get one though don't get the keys one, get the combo lock. I checked though and unfortunately they don't make one for your car.

    I am in agreement about guns getting stolen from cars. I think just repositioning your weapon (if needed) would be better than trying to carry multiple guns.

    http://www.consolevault.com/

    Storage is one thing, having fast access is another. There are drawbacks to everything, particularly if you have passengers with you.

    When I decided to switch to appendix carry this whole topic was part of the reasoning for the switch.

    There are numerous ways to carry in the car though. I've seen people who buy cheap soft zipper pouches and cover one side with velcro and on the inside of the console near your right leg put velcro as well. It stays concealed but it's right there.

    Lots of solutions to give easy access. Some of those even conceal as well. But I haven't seen anything that will also secure the firearm.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    375
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So you want to keep a gun in the car and on your person at the same time? I find that if you practice your draw from the sitting position, it's better than trying to find it while you're sitting in the car and haven't practiced getting to it.

    Personally, I hate leaving a gun in the car. They get stolen, all the freaking time. People say they'll secure it, but rarely do.
    Definitely considered the theft break-in possibility. I do have fairly dark tinted windows though which helps. This is why I'm not sure of the best place to keep it because I'd prefer to find some happy medium of concealment and quick-access. Like alamo said, it's really difficult to draw when buckled in if you carry 4:00 o clock, which I do. There's really also not much of a discrete way to draw from my holster when buckled in since I have to unbuckle and lean over. There may not be a great solution for what I want, but I always like to ask WEVO to get some good opinions!
    Graphic Designer
    Instagram: @EO3actual

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,860
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    If you leave your gun in your car it will get stolen. Not a matter of if, but when.

    If I can draw from my holster in full duty gear, seat belted in, you can get to a CCW. Just need to find alternative ways to carry and practice. Do some dry runs and see what works for you.

    There are pros and cons to every carry position. I try not to let the least likely scenario dictate my carry though. In this case drawing from a seated position while in your vehicle.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,293
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    My favorite method of carry includes a clipdraw and trigger guard tethered to a belt loop. I wear this setup at the 3:30 to 5 position and it's nap time comfy. Unfortunately, I've accepted that if I'm pulled over, it's going to be asphalt pizza for dinner as carry weapon + seatbelt release = 0 risk taking in my book.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mn.
    Posts
    1,332
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If you leave your gun in your car it will get stolen. Not a matter of if, but when.

    If I can draw from my holster in full duty gear, seat belted in, you can get to a CCW. Just need to find alternative ways to carry and practice. Do some dry runs and see what works for you.

    There are pros and cons to every carry position. I try not to let the least likely scenario dictate my carry though. In this case drawing from a seated position while in your vehicle.
    ^This: Go somewhere where you can practice drawing and firing from the vehicle. Situational awareness will go a lot further than a backup firearm as you will know when to cut the seatbelt loose and draw the pistol. I have worked on this and is difficult, as many problems arise. Will the vehicle be positioned to get a shot? Or will you have to shoot through a window? Is there a passenger in your vehicle at the time?

    That presents a whole new set of problems if the bad guy is off to the passenger side of the vehicle. I have also practiced shooting left side out the window at a 66% IPSC steel target that started in front of me while the vehicle was moving forward. Until I reached the target and turned right I missed 16 out of 17 shots. Yeah, its friggen difficult. For one you canít get your head into a position to aim. Two, driving and shooting at the same time (expecting to hit something) is better left to the movies because itís all but impossible because you canít aim, you only have one hand on the pistol and youíre distracted because youíre driving at the same time. Not to mention all that collateral damage from those missed shots. Also on an uneven road youíre firing arm moves up and down with the vehicle so getting a hit is pot luck at best.

    In a bad situation I will cut the seatbelt loose and draw the firearm but I would be more likely to thunk the bad guy with my vehicle unless a clear two handed shot was doable. I grew up in Chicago and there were always two street smart rules I followed and do so to this day. One, every time I get in the vehicle I push the door lock button and two, every time I come to a red light I always stop at least two vehicle lengths behind the vehicle in front of me. Always leave yourself an out. Also keeping a few extra loaded mags in the vehicle for your carry pistol will go further than a secondary pistol.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,860
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    But I've always wondered how much a custom hidden pistol tray out of the dash would cost.


    Name:  cr_aston3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  75.7 KB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    893
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I have a GunVault NV300 in my car. I canít carry at work so I lock it up in my car. Our parking lot is reasonably secure. The vault has a steel cable that loops around a seat support. I have tinted windows so you wouldnít notice it against the black floor mats. Itís not foolproof, but itís better than nothing. My car doesnít have any stickers that would give itís contents away.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,293
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I SO want! GF: "Hey, do you still have the lint roller I put in her... EEK!!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    But I've always wondered how much a custom hidden pistol tray out of the dash would cost.


    Name:  cr_aston3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  75.7 KB
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,293
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Sounds like Point/Shoot drills would help you with eye training. I practice a lot of point/shoot since most conflicts happen at 3 to 5 feet (Think I read that in a Ayoob book). Practice with both hands, close and far from body. It's all about training your eye-hand coordination for that kind of shooting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    ^This: Go somewhere where you can practice drawing and firing from the vehicle. Situational awareness will go a lot further than a backup firearm as you will know when to cut the seatbelt loose and draw the pistol. I have worked on this and is difficult, as many problems arise. Will the vehicle be positioned to get a shot? Or will you have to shoot through a window? Is there a passenger in your vehicle at the time?

    That presents a whole new set of problems if the bad guy is off to the passenger side of the vehicle. I have also practiced shooting left side out the window at a 66% IPSC steel target that started in front of me while the vehicle was moving forward. Until I reached the target and turned right I missed 16 out of 17 shots. Yeah, its friggen difficult. For one you canít get your head into a position to aim. Two, driving and shooting at the same time (expecting to hit something) is better left to the movies because itís all but impossible because you canít aim, you only have one hand on the pistol and youíre distracted because youíre driving at the same time. Not to mention all that collateral damage from those missed shots. Also on an uneven road youíre firing arm moves up and down with the vehicle so getting a hit is pot luck at best.

    In a bad situation I will cut the seatbelt loose and draw the firearm but I would be more likely to thunk the bad guy with my vehicle unless a clear two handed shot was doable. I grew up in Chicago and there were always two street smart rules I followed and do so to this day. One, every time I get in the vehicle I push the door lock button and two, every time I come to a red light I always stop at least two vehicle lengths behind the vehicle in front of me. Always leave yourself an out. Also keeping a few extra loaded mags in the vehicle for your carry pistol will go further than a secondary pistol.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •