Downloads
    Uploads

Optimus Micro first impressions

Now that I’ve had the can in hand for 24 hours I thought I’d post some first thoughts and impressions.

The can is very solid, and the fitment of the taper mount adapter, the baffles, and the end caps are very solid/secure, everything threads on easily and the finish of the can looks good.

The dual end caps are designed with field expedience in mind, so that something like a washer or a quarter can fit in the slots without needing a special tool that could be lost or left at home. I’ve had no issues so far using a quarter, but a tool that fits in four of the slots versus just two with the quarter might be handy for those of us disassembling the can on a work bench. I added a quarter to my range bag just in case.

I shot the OPM using the taper mount adapter on my 16” Rainier Arms build (intermediate gas, adjustable block). The first round on the AR had a noticeable pop, but not so loud it hurt my ears, as I was outdoors and left off earpro. I fired a couple strings and the tone immediately quieted down after the first shot and actually had a deeper tone than I was expecting. It wasn’t a *SNAP* but more like a *THUD*. Can’t really explain it but I interchanged my Recce 5 Mod 3 and the OPM and to my ears I couldn’t really tell a difference in suppression. I’m sure there might be a difference on a dB meter and maybe how it sounds to other people around the shooter, but I was really surprised (in a good way) and absolutely blown away by the performance.

I took the taper mount adapter off and put the 1/2x28 thread adapter back on and ran it on my Sig 1911-.22 and my Marlin bolt action .22. With the Sig, The added weight over my aluminum suppressor just made it feel like I was shooting a 1911 with a full mag of 230gr .45acp. I could not detect any first round pop shooting it on my .22 pistol or rifle. No blowback (pistol) to speak of, and it sounded great on both.

I took it apart once I got back inside, even though I had only shot 30 rounds of 5.56 and 50 rounds of CCI standard velocity just to see. The end caps popped off with my new tactiquarter and a standard 3/4” wrench removes the direct thread adapter and I was able to push the baffles out easily, wipe things down and reassemble.

Bottom line? I’m amazed at the performance versus size. Even if it’s a few dB louder than my Recce 5 or other similar 5.56 can, what you get in return for the size and weight. I want another one!

I’ll do my best to answer any questions or take pictures from requested angles, etc

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need mine out of jail ASAP! I very well might buy another eventually.

Looking good. Probably sounding even better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like it. I like it a LOT!

So, important question: Does it sound like "Laurel", or "Yanni"?

Last edited by Joelski; 20 May 2018 at 16:15.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a question... and you're the perfect one to ask. What's the POI shift like with the OPM vs the Recce 5?

Gas face on 5.56? How was it?

I wonder how it performs wet?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have a question... and you're the perfect one to ask. What's the POI shift like with the OPM vs the Recce 5?

Gas face on 5.56? How was it?

I wonder how it performs wet?
    Haven’t been able to test it at distances yet.

No gas in face

I treated the baffles the same way I do with 9mm/.22: very light coat of dielectric grease for ablative and ease of cleaning/no stick. Worked fine

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys are starting to convince me I need a Griffin can in my life.

Downloads
    Uploads

Optimus Micro first impressions

Crap! I have a full size Optimus and a first Gen Revo 45. NOW I need an Optimus Micro too. Wish I had know that new heavier duty Revo was on the way too.

I have all kinds of stuff from Griffin. Tons of muzzle devices. Rails. Gas blocks. Great guys, great company, great gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You guys are starting to convince me I need a Griffin can in my life.
    You do! Then you can know what all the hub bub is about.

I should be getting my own micro out of jail in a month or so.

Seriously man, a fully auto rated 5.56 can that can shoot .22LR and is user serviceable. What's not to love?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reece 5 or a M4SD-K is what I'm looking at.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know you want the SD-2, so you can sell me that last taper mount flash comp you've been holding back. []
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reece 5 or a M4SD-K is what I'm looking at.
    I want an M4SD-K also

I love the Recce 5/Taper Mount since I use it for precision shooting, but if I had to do it all over again, I would be REALLY debating the -K suppressor. Wouldn’t mind getting one after I get a superlight .30 cal can...having the A2 universality is very appealing to me.

With the Recce 5/M4SDII/K, there’s no barrel restriction for length (unless its on a full auto rig) and the performance for the size of the -K suppressor is appealing

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I want an M4SD-K also

I love the Recce 5/Taper Mount since I use it for precision shooting, but if I had to do it all over again, I would be REALLY debating the -K suppressor. Wouldn’t mind getting one after I get a superlight .30 cal can...having the A2 universality is very appealing to me.

With the Recce 5/M4SDII/K, there’s no barrel restriction for length (unless its on a full auto rig) and the performance for the size of the -K suppressor is appealing
    I'm getting another AAC Mini4 and another Sandman-K First. I love me some shorties.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm getting another AAC Mini4 and another Sandman-K First. I love me some shorties.
    The Optimus Micro has made me a believer. As much as I want the Sportsman 300 Ultralite, a Rugged Micro 30 is also speaking to me

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am hoping to get mine out of jail within about a month from now. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by alamo5000; 2 June 2018 at 18:41.