Downloads
    Uploads

Burris Prism AR optics?

So my LGS is having a sale on Burris this weekend and I was thinking of picking up a Burris 5x or 3x prism scope. Who has used them? Are they worth a damn?

The 5x is on sale for $199 and the 3x is on sale for $175 so they are heavily discounted. Was going to put on on my Larue UUK.

But if its junk, I will save for better options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the appeal? Just the price?

The only Burris I've ever liked is their XTR Line, and the MTAC.

Their red dots and prisms have just been meh.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What's the appeal? Just the price?

The only Burris I've ever liked is their XTR Line, and the MTAC.

Their red dots and prisms have just been meh.
    Yes. It seems like a good deal from a price perspective. I have also been wanting to try a prism site for a quite a while but have never picked one up yet. I looked through one and it was a clear picture so I wanted to get some real world experience. If they are so so I will pass but if they are decent for the price I will pick one up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It could be a good price depending on which one it is. There's a couple 536 5x offerings, 300210 and 300218. Different reticles. One sells for $200 and the other $300-$400.

"Junk"? It is what it is... a budget china optic. Burris has a lifetime transferable warranty and there's a ton of reviews on Amazon from satisfied buyers. I'd personally put it in a recreational-only category. Beware prism scopes typically have limited eye relief.

I've got an old Primary Arms 4x prism on a .22. Works fine. Primary Arms has several new prism scopes with some interesting reticles for $250.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually went back to the store today and did not purchase it. They did have almost all of their Burris scopes on sale for about 1/2 MSRP though. So on a whim I picked up one of their MSR .223 Scopes in 3-9. For the money, it seems to be a pretty decent scope. I am going to put a short initial blurb in another post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't see the appeal of Prism scopes. If you're looking for magnification, I'd just get a Low Powered Variable Optic. I've seen Vortex Viper PST 1-4's for $250-275 used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good point UW. Variable optics are much more versital.

I passed but did get a cheap 3-9 until funds open back up for a good 1-6. I wrote a bit about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think most of the appeal with magnified prism scopes is the compact size. The Vortex 3x Spitfire is about 5in. The Vortex 1-4x is about 10in.

The Spitfire 1x prism offers relief for those suffering from astigmatism. The dot will appear crisp compared to reflex designs where the dot will appear as a large cluster of grapes or oblong smear. Downside is no co-witness with 1x prism.

I purchased a Primary Arms 4x prism quite a few years ago. It was the first prism they had offered and couldn't keep em in stock. The reticle was a design not readily found outside of more expensive compact optics like an ACOG. The thin reticle worked well for finding those pesky shotgun hulls hiding behind rocks and other debris out to 100yds with a .22lr...

Name:  DSC03798.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  573.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 1.58.20 PM.png
Views: 163
Size:  1.91 MB
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 26 May 2018 at 14:04.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good points, but I'd rather have the versatility of the variable.