Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for an optic..

Well, I'm back in the market for an optic. I'm looking for something to do work with between 0-500 yards, something with ACOG, Aimpoint, or Nightforce level toughness, and preferably FFP. Fixed magnification is probably acceptable as long as it's not beyond 4x. Budget is probably going to be around 2k, and time frame is within the next few months.

I've been looking at an Elcan Specter OS. What else should I be looking at?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Next few months and a 2K budget. Perfect post, because that opens up a whole lot of suggestions/recommendations. This will probably be a very long thread before it's over. Good luck and enjoy.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, so many options at the 2k price point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once I finally finish the build I am working on I need an optic for the last build I did, 18.5"/Noveske. I'm going with the Kahles K16i 1-6x24 3GR.

https://www.sportoptics.com/kahles-r...16i-10649.aspx
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slippers said he has some serious issues with the QC of Kahles at the price point; had to send a couple back right out of the box for various problems

ACOGs: for that budget, you could get an ACOG with an RMR piggyback. I’ve got the TA11J (3.5x35mm with crosshair). The TA11 has the most forgiving eye relief out of all of them but the TA31 is lighter and 4x32. The models with the fiber optics are my favorite...I don’t like the ones without it

NF makes a 1-4 variable and I’ve seen Trijicon’s 1-4 Accupower on sale recently for $575 somewhere.

So many options really, gotta narrow it down for us

Downloads
    Uploads
    Assuming you mean for 556/223.

Is this for large animals and man size targets at 500 or to hit a squirrel in the middle of its lucky clover shoulder tattoo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah for 5.56

The 500 yard targets at the range I go to are 8" (I think) plates. I was able to reliably hit them with a Trijicon Accupower 1-4x I just sold. I needed the cash and promised myself I'd step it up from there once funds come back in.

I've got time behind a number of ACOGs and like them, which is what turned me on to the idea of the Specter OS. I don't really care for piggybacked optics though. Also open to recommendations on good variables, be it a 1-4x or 1-8x or a 2.5-10x or whatever. I just want it to be fast up close and clear further out, with a good reticle, and tough. Tough enough to survive the rifle being dropped on it. FFP is preferred. Basically I'm just looking for a solid close to medium distance general purpose optic.

Sounds like Kahles are already ruled out.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 26 May 2018 at 20:07.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28 seems worth consideration for what you are looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Yeah for 5.56

The 500 yard targets at the range I go to are 8" (I think) plates. I was able to reliably hit them with a Trijicon Accupower 1-4x I just sold. I needed the cash and promised myself I'd step it up from there once funds come back in.

I've got time behind a number of ACOGs and like them, which is what turned me on to the idea of the Specter OS. I don't really care for piggybacked optics though. Also open to recommendations on good variables, be it a 1-4x or 1-8x or a 2.5-10x or whatever. I just want it to be fast up close and clear further out, with a good reticle, and tough. Tough enough to survive the rifle being dropped on it. FFP is preferred. Basically I'm just looking for a solid close to medium distance general purpose optic.

Sounds like Kahles are already ruled out.
    My rifle took a fall onto the concrete floor from the top of my car’s trunk lid. To this day, I can’t figure out what happened, based on how the rifle was on the trunk (laying on its side, and I even wiggled it to make sure it was not going anywhere). It landed on the concrete muzzle down like a javelin, then fell over landing on the ACOG. The protective metal piece that surrounds the fiber optic duh into the concrete, protected the fiber optic, and only lost some anodizing in the process. They’re definitely tough enough for any job

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like my US Optics SR-8C, but it is discontinued and SFP. They now have a 1-6 in the $1,500 range, but also SFP. Seems to be a pretty rugged scope, but I don't run anything hard these days (including myself )
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    With your budget and what you're trying to do, I'd take a serious look at the NX-8. Not sure if you want a BDC or not. If you do, then disregard. Otherwise, they seem to be doing lots of good work and are very lightweight for what they are. I watched someone run one today in the rain, up close and out to 200y, and it worked really well for him (this is the second month I've watched him run it). It blows the doors off the Trijicon's 1-8, although it also costs more. Otherwise, it's meeting your other requirements. And you could always throw a T-1 on a 45* mount if you wanted something to use up close.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator didn't you post up a review on one or a couple of those? I did a search but couldn't turn it up.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Gator didn't you post up a review on one or a couple of those? I did a search but couldn't turn it up.
    you thinking of this thread?

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...hts&highlight=

Downloads
    Uploads
    As BoilerUp linked, mine is the ATACR. For what you're talking about (and for a lot of applications), the NX8 seems to fit the bill for less price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing that really really turns me off of Trijicon’s 1-8x is the weight