Downloads
    Uploads

"Precision" rifle optics recommendations needed

I've built a "sorta-precision" AR - Aero Precision upper, lower & free float tube, ALG lower parts w/ Geissele G2S trigger, Ballistic Advantage "SPR" 18" barrel, Vltor RET & stock, etc.

I'm looking for a decent optic, with a price range of about $2-2.5K. I'd like something that goes from 4-15X, or maybe 5-20X, illuminated if possible. Several questions - are the Sig Sauer scopes worth the money? Is Nightforce really that much better than Trijicon? Should I splurge and get the Revic PMR 428? How about Leupold? (I've got a VX-6 1-6X Firedot that I love). Also, recommendations on a good range finder?

I'm used to iron sights & red dots, don't have much if any experience with scopes.

ETA: spelling issues
    Last edited by PJD642; 1 June 2018 at 07:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've looked through everything you've stated, and shot most minus Revic, but I have several friends who have used them and filled me in with their AAR of sorts.

Sig Sauer does make quality optics, but they are not my first choice.

Yes, Nightforce is far and away better than Trijicon, and I would contend that the current 7-35 ATACR with the Tremor reticle is one of if not the best glass on the market right now. Now, that's more glass than you need, and if it were me in your situation, I'd save some coin and pick-up a used FFP SHV F1 or a lower magnification ATACR.

Revic... They're great, but until I see them get proven a little more in the field as far as competition and heavy use, I'm not sold on it.

You can't give me a Leupold. I won't start the shit storm on here, but they are overpriced and the company has lost it's way.

As for rangefinders, the Sig Kilo is great, but for the money right now I would say the new Nikon 3000 and 4K are hot deals and a phenomenal value. Vectronix just came out with their new Terrapin, but if I were you, I would buy the Sig or Nikon, and put that extra coin towards long range training.

Lastly, I wouldn't discount out Vortex Razor Gen II, or even Kahles. As for USO, my buddy Jake has won more PRS matches with his thananyone else with NF or Vortex, BUT, I've owned two SN3s and and ST10, and frankly I've never been super impressed with their glass. Just my 2 cents...

Add: Don't get too caught up in what will become a Ford v Chevy v Dodge debate. There are a ton of directions you can go, and a bunch of people will want to be like "buy once, cry once," and "get more magnification," blah blah blah. The reality of it is, you're running an SPR set-up that beyond 1K is really practical, and you'll spend more time on 10-15x then you'll ever on 20-25x. Look at the used market with products that are no-fault lifetime warranties (Everything breaks, even NF), and save coin that you can put towards lead and practice which will serve you better than spending the most right out of the gate. If you get but by the LR bug, you'll have a whole lot of other shit that you'll need coin for, from tripods to kestrels to all kinds of other gear, lol.
    Last edited by Ordnance; 28 May 2018 at 11:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, snipershide is a great place to find deals on used optics...

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty much where I get my used glass from.

I'd definitely look at the ATACR and the Vortex Razor.

Slippers has owns or owned a lot of the optics you listed like the Sig Tango6, ATACR, Trijicon, he's a great reference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sig...mmm I had a tango 6 3-18 that was good, but super heavy. The integrated electronic level is kind of neat but not necessary.

Nightforce NXS glass is similar to Trijicon. ATACR glass is a step up, noticeably better.

For 5.56 guns I have difficulty dropping the coin for something like the ATACR 4-16x42, but if you're going to be shooting 700+ yards all the time it would be really nice to have. Or even a 5-25. Is weight/size a factor in your decision?

Like Ordnance I am not a fan of Leupold, and after owning several expensive Trijicon scopes and being disappointed, I don't bother with them anymore either.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    The new Leupold Mark 5HD’s are changing my previous negative opinion about that particular company, I think for the price point they are fantastic optics and they are almost half the weight of the comparable Razor gen II’s, although you could dig a trench with the Razor and it’d probably keep it’s zero.

NF and Kahles are both excellent and I doubt you could go wrong with either.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    The new Leupold Mark 5HD’s are changing my previous negative opinion about that particular company, I think for the price point they are fantastic optics and they are almost half the weight of the comparable Razor gen II’s, although you could dig a trench with the Razor and it’d probably keep it’s zero.

NF and Kahles are both excellent and I doubt you could go wrong with either.
    It's kind of annoying the Leupold mk5 line all have 35mm tubes. Limits mount choices, a bit.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    It's kind of annoying the Leupold mk5 line all have 35mm tubes. Limits mount choices, a bit.
    That's because Leupold is too busy listening to themselves and guys who frankly don't know or care what the market actually wants.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for delayed reply, thanks to Ordnance & everyone for all the great info - answered every one of my questions & then some. Even joined snipershide & bought that range finder, lol. Now I'm debating between several ATACRs and several S&B scopes listed there...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    #spuhrmasterrace

But yes it is annoying. 34mm would’ve made much more sense.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper