Downloads
    Uploads

Was given a camera by a relative...any input? I want to stop using my iPhone for most pictures

My wife’s grandad was cleaning out and giving things away and he knew I was starting to post on IG (HandloadsAndHoldovers) so he gave me a camera he wasn’t using.

It’s a Leica V-Lux 1 (Germany) and has a 35-420mm lens. Drop down display. Feels solid and well made but I don’t know anything about cameras

I am charging the batteries now but I want to start learning/reading about the various settings and exposures for my gun pictures, from close up detail to objects in the foreground + zoom, like at a long distance range.

If anyone has a resource that helped them learn the basics, please let me know. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Former, check out this thread for some pointers

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ht=photography

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ll check it out, thanks!

Know anything about that camera? Quality wise or other...is that lens range decent/useful?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’ll check it out, thanks!

Know anything about that camera? Quality wise or other...is that lens range decent/useful?
    I looked up some basic stuff. It's an older camera for sure. The sensor is about 1/5th the size of a full frame 'pro' camera. It's a bit over a 10 year old model.

As far as the lens the focal length is sort of misleading. I don't want to confuse you with jibberish about focal length equivalence. That said Leica is known for their lenses so that part should be pretty good. I don't shoot a lot of gun photos like the other guys do, but for regular walking around that would be a good focal length. I think it would be fine and a step up from a phone for sure.

I would liken that camera to a little better than a good point and shoot but nowhere near a full professional model. That's just the impressions from a few minutes reading.

I would try to find a manual for the thing and read up on how to operate the various controls. If you have any questions we are here. I personally shoot photos in full manual mode, which I recommend you to learn how that works (at least learn the basics of it). That way when you turn it to the fully automatic 'do your own thing mode' you will know how the camera is reacting.

If you are going to get into photography learning about manual controls will help you understand what you can or should do better to get a good photo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    By manual controls I mean you have to manually set your ISO, your shutter speed, and your aperture. Sounds simple enough right? LOL This way you actually select those settings. The camera does not automatically pick for you like with most point and shoot cameras. Later on you can experiment with the camera modes where the camera decides certain settings for you depending on what it sees.

Other than that once you get fairly familiar with which dial changes what you can experiment a little.

At the end of the day a good photo comes down not to the camera, but rather to lighting and composition. A good question to ask is 'how do I set up good lighting situations'. Composition is pretty much how different elements are arranged in the frame of the camera...

Both of those two things are KEY. Composition just comes from a lot of experience and trial and error, but with all the photographic talent here I am 99.9% sure they can steer you into a good direction about the whole lighting conversation. That will solve a huge problem and put you clearly on the right path there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to stop using my iPhone for most pictures.... any input?

First place to start is the instruction book for your new camera. Reading and learning what your camera does and how to use it will be an effort. I know this to be true because I tried to get through the manual on a Sony camera but ended up putting everything back in the box.

I'm just a hack who holds his iPhone5 better after a couple beers. For average Joe it's mostly about lighting conditions anyway regardless of camera. My Ping golf clubs didn't help either.

Enjoy your new camera.

These little iPhones don't do so bad... inside or out.

Name:  IMG_2439a.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  IMG_4228.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  3.39 MB
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 1 June 2018 at 14:47.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an iPhone 7 Plus. I take quite a few pictures with it, and for 90% of what I want, it's sufficient.

However, the results you can get with an iPhone 8 is amazing.