Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacations

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know 3 people with properties they use as rentals as well. They all really like the income once you get over the hump, also renting through a company removes a lot of the headache associated with dealing with various renters. I can’t speak for VRBO. But they all just block off times they want to go so the place isn’t available through the rental company. One piece of advice I learned recently is do your research on rental companies if you go that route. My friend I mentioned earlier was with one company for the first 2 years he owned it and was struggling to get it rented, even in peak season. He just switched companies for this year and by the beginning of April he was booked through Labor Day. At a higher rate even.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    So, possible investment property in a location that is attractive enough for the extended family (e.g., decent options to keep various folks entertained)?

Sedona, AZ comes to mind. Maybe Moab, UT. Several places in CO worth considering.

Or are you looking for a VRBO type set up you can habitually go to? There is a little slice of heaven in Eastern WA that I rent for about a week each year I could point you to, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.
    For the longest time I really wanted some property in Okanagan County. Fast forward to today, I don't ever see myself retiring here, especially with the left wing politics and the direction the gun laws are likely going to go. I foresee a ban in 2019.

Our 10-13 year plan is to move to North Carolina, Ohio, or Tennessee most likely. Our money also stretches a lot more out there. We'd like to have a vacation home in 2-5 years so we can start coordinating out there.

So far, we've been considering Charleston, Hilton Head, Asheville, and some others for potential vacation homes, obviously some are more desirable than others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have a condo in OC Maryland that’s about 2 hours from our main residence. It’s a tourist town for 100 days a year but I rarely go there during the touron season. Wife and kids are there endlessly during the summer including 3 weeks straight in July/August.

No rentals after 1 year of endless headaches renting it. Trusted friends and family occasionally but not often. If I’m not close enough to you to give you the place for free, then you aren’t staying there. It has increased in value 4 fold from what we originally paid so the insignificant gains from rental income is not worth it. Endless small damage that occurred and missing personal items completely ruined me on letting anyone stay in a place we use. If I wanted a property for rental income it would be one I never stayed in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    We have a condo in OC Maryland that’s about 2 hours from our main residence. It’s a tourist town for 100 days a year but I rarely go there during the touron season. Wife and kids are there endlessly during the summer including 3 weeks straight in July/August.

No rentals after 1 year of endless headaches renting it. Trusted friends and family occasionally but not often. If I’m not close enough to you to give you the place for free, then you aren’t staying there. It has increased in value 4 fold from what we originally paid so the insignificant gains from rental income is not worth it. Endless small damage that occurred and missing personal items completely ruined me on letting anyone stay in a place we use. If I wanted a property for rental income it would be one I never stayed in.
    So will you let me stay there for free?

I hear you. In general, I don't like dealing with renters. However, this place we stayed in Hilton Head, older house, well maintained. They kept furniture tasteful, but not expensive ( you could tell it was a rental ) But I figured they attracted higher quality guests. We paid $3800 for a week, so that alone probably keeps the rift raff out. However, I know people with some discretionary funds are still pigs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup. Let me know when. My closest friend lives 15 minutes from there on 2200 acres too...Fill the Gator with weapons and shoot all day.

Funny part is the single worst renters we had were for Fireman’s week. Broke the sliders and the dishwasher. Asshole fireman. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Yup. Let me know when. My closest friend lives 15 minutes from there on 2200 acres too...Fill the Gator with weapons and shoot all day.

Funny part is the single worst renters we had were for Fireman’s week. Broke the sliders and the dishwasher. Asshole fireman. Lol
    Dude, if you don't want something broken, keep it well hidden from firemen.

Sanctioned demolition: Cutting a doorway sized hole, right next to .... a doorway! Yep. That's municipal fire service!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where do you guys all Vacation at?

Any of you have a vacation home?

Any locations you guys are particular in visiting frequently?
    I look at a vacation slightly different than traveling. I look at a vacation is a week or so away from work and the daily grind to recharge. It can be a place that you go to frequently, or semi frequently. Like for me and my family, we only live about an hour and a half, two hours max away from the South Carolina coast. Generally one or more of the family members will rent a beach house, so we will make a big thing out of it with a lot of family members down there. It is a familiar environment, and in our case, it is an a very low-key area, not very touristy.

Then you have traveling. I look at this is going to new places, whether they are exotic, adventurous, or what have you. We try to do some traveling every other year, generally due to the length and cost of the trip. We have been fortunate enough to travel to Italy, to France, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and all over the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii, & seeing famous things like Yellowstone, the Tetons, Acadia National Park, Glacier National, etc etc

I guess it depends on what you want out of your trip

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I look at a vacation slightly different than traveling. I look at a vacation is a week or so away from work and the daily grind to recharge. It can be a place that you go to frequently, or semi frequently. Like for me and my family, we only live about an hour and a half, two hours max away from the South Carolina coast. Generally one or more of the family members will rent a beach house, so we will make a big thing out of it with a lot of family members down there. It is a familiar environment, and in our case, it is an a very low-key area, not very touristy.

Then you have traveling. I look at this is going to new places, whether they are exotic, adventurous, or what have you. We try to do some traveling every other year, generally due to the length and cost of the trip. We have been fortunate enough to travel to Italy, to France, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and all over the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii, & seeing famous things like Yellowstone, the Tetons, Acadia National Park, Glacier National, etc etc

I guess it depends on what you want out of your trip
    This is why I specially put "vacation" you and I have similar definitions of vacations/travel.

Just looking for a spot to park my butt away from home and work for a week or two type of thing.

Most of our travelling will be put on hold until our little one gets a few years under his belt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If Charleston SC is on your list, check out seabrook island. It is basically a gated private community on an island. We are friends with a couple that has a place there. Very nice, quiet and private. Family friendly and maybe an hour south of Charleston. Annual expenses there can be a tad high, but if that exclusivity and privacy appeals to you, check it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do cruises, specifically with Holland America and specifically to the lower Caribbean islands (Aruba, etc). Not just best bang for buck, best of everything.

We also do various beaches but that's once or twice in the summer.

Really depends on what you want out of your vacation. If it's rest and relaxation without a care, you won't find anything better than a cruise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I do cruises, specifically with Holland America and specifically to the lower Caribbean islands (Aruba, etc). Not just best bang for buck, best of everything.

We also do various beaches but that's once or twice in the summer.

Really depends on what you want out of your vacation. If it's rest and relaxation without a care, you won't find anything better than a cruise.
    My wife and I went on our first cruise for our honeymoon and quickly became addicted. When the girls were born in 2015 it put a quick halt to that, but we are planning to go on another one in a year or so. Hive not used holland America, but have heard good things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brenda and I did a Caribbean Cruise a few years ago. A lot of fun. We are planning an Alaska Cruise next year for our 50th Anniversary. I've heard from several that the Alaska cruise is definitely one of the best. Hope so.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Brenda and I did a Caribbean Cruise a few years ago. A lot of fun. We are planning an Alaska Cruise next year for our 50th Anniversary. I've heard from several that the Alaska cruise is definitely one of the best. Hope so.
    You and me both. Everyone I know that’s been on an Alaskan cruise has loved it. I hope to get a chance to do the same one day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We may do an Alaska cruise but we'd rather do a St. Petersburg cruise first. Maybe a 15 day north EU 'viking' type that they offer.

But yeah, cruises, do it.

And don't cheap out. We went with a
    Holland America because of the level of service, it's a little more and definitely not a party type setup, but it's excellent for food and relaxation.

We are going again in November to southern Caribbean. Can't wait to gain fifteen pounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Our first couple were carnival, then tried royal Caribbean. Definetly liked RC better, but we will be looking for less of a party boat next time. We did learn the massive ships aren’t always for us. Also want to take the girls on a Disney cruise when they are big enough.

My in laws take a riverboat cruise every year. I think they have seen most of Europe via water now. Also something I’d like to do. They use AMA waterways.