Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Thought I'd tag on to this old thread instead of starting a new one....

I finally added a G26 to the collection and am already wondering why it took me so long. I see why these are so popular and suspect this will become an EDC favorite when my wardrobe won't let me easily OWB a G17 w/ X300.

That said, it needs a light and I'm seeing some good prices on Streamlight TLR-6 lights or light/laser combos and that setup seems supported by several holster makes. I don't run lasers on any pistols but am considering spending the extra $40 to have the laser since it doesn't change the form factor.

Any opinions on whether I should save the $ and just stick with the light? Any negatives to say about the TLR or suggestions of better options? Viridian?
    I've got a bunch of TLR6's

I've got several attached to G43's/X's, S&W Shields, G26's, etc. About half have the laser.

Normally, I'm not a fan of lasers on pistols, but for a small charge, $40 like you said, you get a good de-escalation tool IMHO. We could argue/discuss that when your pistol comes out on a CCW situation, you're ready to fire.

However, as a LEO, I know if I end up smoking someone off-duty, even if it's not my duty issued pistol, I'm going to have to answer a lot of questions. We could spitball a dozen scenarios where someone maybe a threat where you pull your gun, but you're not quite ready to shoot. ie someone armed with a baseball bat, knife, blunt object, closing in on you, but not close enough to do damage quite yet. That laser may give you another tool to make the guy think twice about doing what he's doing without ending his life. I think one also needs to consider are you calm, cool, collected enough under stress, where you think about de-escalation, then deadly force, and if you de-escalate are you able to mentally transition?

I personally would not use the laser to aim, that takes way more training/reps, that I would rather devote to using a reddot. Your mileage may vary, but that's how I see TLR6's.

If you go with one, interested to hear your insights on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, UW. Good things to consider. And, yes, while I think about and practice for scenarios where you have to shoot in a snap, even before fully presenting, I also frequently think about what I'd do in scenarios where I have more time. When it comes right down to it, I'd rather not take a life if I don't have to. If a red dot on the chest is enough to get someone to fully understand the gravity of the situation, then I also see how that could be useful. If I had to add extra bulk to the firearm for the laser, I probably wouldn't consider it, but the TLR package is the same either way and I don't have to use the laser if I don't like it as a "light only" mode is available.

DVor is having a deal so it was only $25 more for the laser, $85 total, plus I had 10 Dvor bucks to spend, so I ordered it. Now I just need sights and holster for the 26 and I'll be set. I think I might actually try an Appendix set up for this given its size, so maybe the Crossbreed LDS, which can accommodate the TLR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am by no means a gunfighter by any measure but another thing to consider is the manual of arms. In my quest for knowledge I handled lots of things and my conclusion is the laser light combos are way too fiddly for my tastes. I want something with a big "Easy Button" on it. All that click once for light and twice for laser stuff quickly turned me off on it just for that reason alone.

As always I do try to learn as much as I can before I start putting money into things and I can safely say I am not a fan of lasers on pistols, or really anything that I would personally be involved with. There isn't a scenario where I would use a laser for pretty much anything. That said if/when I get into the NV world that might change, but for EDC on a pistol, nope.

Even if the thing comes with both I personally would pass simply because of the manual of arms involved. Now throw in a super stressful situation and there is more fiddling around with buttons than I would like. It just being there is a 'no' in my book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am by no means a gunfighter by any measure but another thing to consider is the manual of arms. In my quest for knowledge I handled lots of things and my conclusion is the laser light combos are way too fiddly for my tastes. I want something with a big "Easy Button" on it. All that click once for light and twice for laser stuff quickly turned me off on it just for that reason alone.

As always I do try to learn as much as I can before I start putting money into things and I can safely say I am not a fan of lasers on pistols, or really anything that I would personally be involved with. There isn't a scenario where I would use a laser for pretty much anything. That said if/when I get into the NV world that might change, but for EDC on a pistol, nope.

Even if the thing comes with both I personally would pass simply because of the manual of arms involved. Now throw in a super stressful situation and there is more fiddling around with buttons than I would like. It just being there is a 'no' in my book.
    That is actually pretty well aligned with my starting position here, but given the low incremental cost and no impact on weight / handling, I thought I'd go ahead and try it out. We'll see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't see an issue with the switchology. Just keep it on light/laser at all times; I cannot see any reason to have only one or the other on, outside of administrative testing. I have been using a laser before I ever got an RDS, and IME, the two complement each other; for example, you can use the laser as an index point to help find the red dot when in unorthodox shooting positions where your index is weak. The laser is also faster on target than an RDS simply because you can be sloppier with the draw and still find it. It is also great for stuff like SotM, or dry practicing your index for retention shooting.

For me, a laser is a must on any handgun, even if it gets me constant questions on it's legality in USPSA (I don't know how many times I've been hassled about it, despite being in open).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back to this topic, but this time I'm looking for thoughts on WML for a Glock 19 for EDC on the appendix. Crossbreed is having a sale so I want to pick up a LDS for a 19. I was about to order for X-300, but I thought for appendix I should consider a shorter light with the TLR7 being the leading contender. Anyone want to argue otherwise? Maybe the XC1?

BTW, I'm happy with the TLR6 on the 26. As a long time "Glock guy", I'm surprised it took me so long to pick up a 26. It's grown on me quickly and while I was flirting with the 365XL she really hasn't left the house much since the 26 showed up. And now that I've finally put the RMR on the 19 I want to get her out more but in this neck of the woods it gets dark really early after we drop DST so I want a WML for EDC

Downloads
    Uploads
    TLR7 is a winner.

Honestly, I've had more issues with X300's than I have with any Streamlights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    XC01. Boom.

Name:  IMG_20190828_225741_241.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  750.8 KB

I'm 6'-3" and #200 and my 19 in an AIWB holster feels huge!

Name:  20210404_215512.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  160.3 KB
    Last edited by Joelski; 31 October 2022 at 07:44.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha! Figures I'd get competing advice. Thank you, both. I ordered a holster to fit the TRL-7 as the price point is a lot easier to accept.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a follow on question. It's been a while since I put a light on my EDC. I am running a Surefire XSC on a 365XL.

I have no complaints about any of it but I'm just wondering opinions on why that particular light hasn't caught on like I thought it would.

To this day I don't know of very many companies that even make holsters for that light. Obviously there are holsters out there from small manufacturers because I have one, but it's not a popular thing to make apparently. This leads me to think that the light itself is not that popular.

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on this or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have no complaints about any of it but I'm just wondering opinions on why that particular light hasn't caught on like I thought it would.
    Probably has something to do with being three to four times the cost of the competition who also has a pretty good reputation.

It would be an interesting business case study in supply and demand to see if Surefire would actually make more money if they cut their prices in half.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cost of a leading competitor is certainly the number one reason, and I'd also think that lead times across the industry are impacting production of newer designs as well. Between staffing issues that everybody seems to have, plus a high demand for existing product, it's got to be hard to get new items to market. A quick look at custom makers shows a lead time of 6-8 months and longer, so between qualified craftsmen for custom makers, it's tough to get people to fill existing orders.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I have a follow up question for you guys. On my P226 I have a SF 300 light. I am however looking at something new to me that I didn't know existed before.

I don't really have a fluid way of light activation, or rather I'm kind of reaching around to turn it on or whatever. I guess my hands are not gorilla hands so that light and gun kind of present that smallish issue.

I know surefire makes those grip switches but I'm not completely sold on that idea.

What I did learn about though were some aftermarket parts that could work for me. I think the company name is Philster. They make a direct replacement that has longer protrusions that could help me not have to move my hand around as much for light activation.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used that Philster switch or has anything else on the overall topic.

They are only like $30 so I'm tempted to try it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found this video and Aaron is a trusted source so I went ahead and bought a set.

https://youtu.be/j-ANIo4xDxU