Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
Thought I'd tag on to this old thread instead of starting a new one....

I finally added a G26 to the collection and am already wondering why it took me so long. I see why these are so popular and suspect this will become an EDC favorite when my wardrobe won't let me easily OWB a G17 w/ X300.

That said, it needs a light and I'm seeing some good prices on Streamlight TLR-6 lights or light/laser combos and that setup seems supported by several holster makes. I don't run lasers on any pistols but am considering spending the extra $40 to have the laser since it doesn't change the form factor.

Any opinions on whether I should save the $ and just stick with the light? Any negatives to say about the TLR or suggestions of better options? Viridian?
I've got a bunch of TLR6's

I've got several attached to G43's/X's, S&W Shields, G26's, etc. About half have the laser.

Normally, I'm not a fan of lasers on pistols, but for a small charge, $40 like you said, you get a good de-escalation tool IMHO. We could argue/discuss that when your pistol comes out on a CCW situation, you're ready to fire.

However, as a LEO, I know if I end up smoking someone off-duty, even if it's not my duty issued pistol, I'm going to have to answer a lot of questions. We could spitball a dozen scenarios where someone maybe a threat where you pull your gun, but you're not quite ready to shoot. ie someone armed with a baseball bat, knife, blunt object, closing in on you, but not close enough to do damage quite yet. That laser may give you another tool to make the guy think twice about doing what he's doing without ending his life. I think one also needs to consider are you calm, cool, collected enough under stress, where you think about de-escalation, then deadly force, and if you de-escalate are you able to mentally transition?

I personally would not use the laser to aim, that takes way more training/reps, that I would rather devote to using a reddot. Your mileage may vary, but that's how I see TLR6's.

If you go with one, interested to hear your insights on it.