Downloads
    Uploads

Vortex Defender Covers

I know Slippers and several others love these things, so figured I'd grab a set for my newly arrived NX8. Based on nothing more than a ruler measurement, I'm getting 32mm (+/- .5mm) for the objective and 40mm for the ocular. Looking at Vortex's site, the Obj 24 should be fine but the "Eye piece" cover starts at 41mm. Any ideas if this will still work for the NX8? My 40mm measurement could certainly be off by .5 mm just due to line thickness.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in on this too, I was looking at Aadmount too but don't know what size I need...

Downloads
    Uploads
    They don't make an ocular size that fits the NF 2.5-10x24 or NX8 (same size), so you need to use two different objective covers. I used the O-24 for the objective and O-32 for the ocular.

Also, a SCAR 17 causes the rear cover to slide off the ocular unless you use a little hairspray (old trick for bike grips to keep them from spinning or coming off the handlebars).
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    They don't make an ocular size that fits the NF 2.5-10x24 or NX8 (same size), so you need to use two different objective covers. I used the O-24 for the objective and O-32 for the ocular.
    Thanks, Will. I was looking at the O-32 specs and it looked like it would fit perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d contact Aadmount and not waste the money on these. Temperature extremes really played havoc with all of mine. In really hot or wet weather they come off the optic before they open. And in very cold temps they just broke at the hinge. Not even being used but hiking in to base camp. Arrived to discover the ocular cap was open and hanging on one side of the hinge and the objective was just gone. Save the electrical tape and other band aids and buy a truly good set.

Bench shooting I’d guess they would be fine. Then again so would Butler Creek caps at 25% of the cost.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sheesh, I have no doubt those AAdmount caps are great, but at almost 3x the cost, that's a tough sell. I'm not arguing that the BC caps are all that, but in the environment I shoot in (bumping and grinding, chilly to stupid hot) I haven't had issues. Slippers et al have said they prefer the Vortex to the BC caps, so since I've already been happy with the BCs, I just can't justify the ~$100 for the Aadmounts. What am I missing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a pair of Aadmount and you'll know. The way they pop on and how rugged they feel you'll know why they're 100. Which ones for the NX8? They dont have a specific one yet for it. The wait time sucks too.
    After getting them for a razor I'm hooked. Worth 100 to protect a scope that's over a grand
    Last edited by Tyrannosaur; 30 June 2018 at 21:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Meh. Maybe when I get a job I'll try them out in the future. For now, the Defenders will have to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    Get a pair of Aadmount and you'll know. The way they pop on and how rugged they feel you'll know why they're 100. Which ones for the NX8? They dont have a specific one yet for it. The wait time sucks too.
    After getting them for a razor I'm hooked. Worth 100 to protect a scope that's over a grand
    Exactly. The defender caps are barely if at all better than the BC caps, the Aadmount’s are better than any cap I’ve used including Tenebraex. A bargain if you use the rifle in the field IMO.