Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to get into reloading because of the cost difference between factory pistol subs and availability of decent stuff as well as “match” .223/.308 and hunting rounds.

Also there’s being able to load ammo if there’s a run on supplies. With as tenuous as things are, meaning we could be one incident away from another panic, it’s nice having that fall back.

I tried to buy everything from Midway while it was on sale (except for ORM-D). I was shooting a lot more back then (I still shoot more than most) when I was pre-child, so the savings caught up pretty quick when you’re talking 50-60 cents a round in 5.56 alone

I’m out of town on a vacation right now so I haven’t been able to post a “what I do” type of thing

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't really remember what started me reloading. I just have always done it.

In the long run its way cheaper especially if you stick with it and buy in bulk when things are on sale.

Of course I would sound just like 11B in other things. If you are shooting for precision there is no way around it. Ammo tailored to your gun will be better than anything you can buy. Also shooting subs will be cheaper by quite a bit. I consider that specialty ammo as well.

I've also bought tons of supplies and never had to make any major purchases during insane times.

People were paying crazy amounts of money just for a box of 9mm. Then I would go home and look and I had a box a bit bigger than a big igloo cooler filled up to the top with 9mm. I would just fill up some mags and scoop a few handfuls for my pockets out and shoot in the back yard.

In times like that you will be happy that you know what you are doing and have stocks of stuff.

I've kind of turned into a prepper on the ammo side of things. Every so often even if I don't have an immediate need I will buy a few cases of primers for example.

If I had extra cash to really stock up even more I would do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Single stage is fine but I do most of my reloading and prep on my Dillon 650 but I'm thinking about getting an auto drive 1050 and a AMP annealer .....................oh no I've gone down the rabbit hole again .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Skip the single stage. Get either a Hornady Lock N Load or a Dillon 650.

The Hornady is a little less expensive and works great but you'll probably be happier with the Dillon if you plan on adding case and bullet feeders.

One great accessory for the Lock N Load is the primer pocket swage system. It takes most of the terrible tedium out of this task.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I am getting closer to taking the step into reloading!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Thanks. I am getting closer to taking the step into reloading!
    Loading bulk ammo on a Dillon is great but loading precision ammo? Single stage all day. You can learn the basics on it (setting up dies, powder charges, OALs, and way more) and then move up once you get the fundamentals down and still have a press you’ll use even after you get a progressive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Loading bulk ammo on a Dillon is great but loading precision ammo?
    Yep. Trickle your powder and pour it into the case at the powder station using a Lee powder die. Slower than fully progressive but still faster than a single stage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like I said before, intention will determine equipment.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned a budget for this venture yet?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Boy, do I feel your pain Joel. I get the theory, but reading the minutiae of the process gives me a brain ache. How-tos never seem to explain the details enough to make sense. I know it’s on me as it seems clear to others. I have the single stage RCBS, Chargemaster and all the other components. I am fortunate to have a fellow range member with 50 years reloading experience to answer my ignorant questions.

Iv’e decided to do it in steps until I’m comfortable with the full process. A local guy sold me 1000 pieces of processed primed .300 BLK cases so I just need to powder and seat. On deck I have 1000 processed unprimed cases. After building confidence with those I will try resizing. 190 grain BLK subs and .308 are the only calibers I want to work up for the forseeable future.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Boy, do I feel your pain Joel. I get the theory, but reading the minutiae of the process gives me a brain ache. How-tos never seem to explain the details enough to make sense. I know it’s on me as it seems clear to others. I have the single stage RCBS, Chargemaster and all the other components. I am fortunate to have a fellow range member with 50 years reloading experience to answer my ignorant questions.

Iv’e decided to do it in steps until I’m comfortable with the full process. A local guy sold me 1000 pieces of processed primed .300 BLK cases so I just need to powder and seat. On deck I have 1000 processed unprimed cases. After building confidence with those I will try resizing. 190 grain BLK subs and .308 are the only calibers I want to work up for the forseeable future.
    We can discuss the 190 grain subs. I'm working on the same thing now.

My goal is to have loads for several powders before it's all done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Yep. Trickle your powder and pour it into the case at the powder station using a Lee powder die. Slower than fully progressive but still faster than a single stage.
    It was a rhetorical question, dude. It’s also not about speed. It’s about quality and precision

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hornady actually sells a trickle setup to replace the auto unit in the AP. I am going to go that route, and if I need a more precision setup, I'll buy that later. I don't shoot ultra long range, and likely never will. As long as I can hit a can of soda at a couple hundred yards, I'm tickled to death. I shoot a minimum of 200-300 rounds several times a month and rebuild my supply in the winter, so cost effect is what I'm mainly after.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hornady actually sells a trickle setup to replace the auto unit in the AP. I am going to go that route, and if I need a more precision setup, I'll buy that later. I don't shoot ultra long range, and likely never will. As long as I can hit a can of soda at a couple hundred yards, I'm tickled to death. I shoot a minimum of 200-300 rounds several times a month and rebuild my supply in the winter, so cost effect is what I'm mainly after.
    Can you post a link to the particular Hornady system you're talking about?

I think it would be helpful to get a few pros and cons comments about a specific set up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks fellas! Great input so far! I am sure I will be referring back to this thread from time to time, and adding questions as I go. To my educator mind, the only stupid question is an un-asked one, but I have been known to challenge that theory! Please bare with me as I get up to speed.

You four, plus JMJ are pretty much the people I've come to trust for wisdom in this aspect of our crazy disease, and I value your opinion.

That said, I agree with mustangfreak on prices not really being a compelling reason to take up reloading immediately. I have not seen the low prices I saw a couple years ago, but then again, Freedom Munitions (My previous go-to for cheap ammo) has filed for bankruptcy, and like much of the industry, needs to change its business model in order to survive. I think most of their problem wasn't underpricing, so much as expanding out of their niche and getting outdone by experienced diverse companies.

The one caliber truly driving me into researching this subject is .300 BLK. I have a significant amount of cash invested in my shooting setup, considering that I'm married to a lower registered as an SBR, plus the fact that it's just a complete effing gas to shoot all leave me wanting a larger stockpile of ammunition. I shoot above average amounts on a monthly basis, but find myself limiting my 300 d/t cost and reluctance to access my reserves. I'm not married to the thought of piles of ammo in the prepper sense so much as I want to make sure I have the capability to roll my own before some political climate change can dry up components. I never saw the value in stockpiling the way the prepper community has with .22 LR; prices have only recently gotten back to reasonable levels and some are still over-priced. I picked up two 550 rnd boxes of Federal 36 gr. at Wally World for $20 each, which I consider a decent deal. Only recently has access been restored to pre-2011 levels as the preppers would scarf up every round available up until about February this year. I personally think a thousand or so rounds is more than enough .22 LR for anybody, as even the most elite operator stands an even chance of catching a million-to-one round to the grape, and most of these people will die off once they run out of insulin, within months of any kind of collapse of society/gummint.

Anyway, I hope to keep this topic going with more thoughts on my plans. I have heard the recommendation before about starting on a single stage press and I get the theory of getting the steps down, but isn't that several hundred best spent on something I'll be using in the long run?

When you develop a new custom load, how many rounds do you typically run off for testing? Enough for one group? 5? 10? Even doing that amount on a progressive press would seem to save time, because if I'm not saving somewhere, what's the purpose? The major benefit of the progressive, IMO is time saved in cutting down repetitive tasks.
    I’ve been in the same thought process for the last few years since buying my 10mm and it’s more on my mind since you hooked me up with the .300BLK barrel and gas parts. Those two rounds are my main drivers for wanting to start reloading, but currently baby duties and extra cash flow are my holdups. When I do start I’m thinking about the Lee hand press since a dedicated workspace is another issue for me currently. I grew up assisting my old man with reloading .38/.357, .30-06, 7mm RM and shot shells so I’ve got a pretty decent understanding of the processes involved with using a single stage system (RCBS Rockchucker). We did most all our loading for hunting rounds with the two rifle cartridges and .357 tailored to specific guns used. I’m wanting to eventually do that far all cartridges I currently own guns chambered in( .40sw, 10mm, .45/70, 7mmRM, .223, .300BLK, .308) mainly as a hedge against shortages. I’m pretty much where I wanna be with guns and cartridges except for adding 9mm to my lineup so reloading equipment acquisitions are next on my agenda, I look fwd to see that s thread expand to gain more knowledge before I start down this road in the disease.