Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

AR Colt 6920 vs KCI AK-103S RIFLE

I'm trying to get some solid advice. Would like to hear any opinions on what is better for a guy wanting investment/part time range shooting/home protection. I thought I was ready to get a Colt 6920, but have had some friends tell me that the AK is "more reliable", and may be better suited for my purposes. I very much value what I hear from the guys on the forum here, authorities on the subject of AR's. Many thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to say what you are using the rifle for the difference between an AR and an AK are negligible in terms of reliability.

That being said I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home protection weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day.

The colt is a great investment, is very reliable for what most people are going to use them for and 5.56>7.62 for home defense. I still think 7.62 is a damn heavy grain to use inside. Also take a look at ergonomics for me the ak is kind of hard to operate the safety charging handle etc. reaching over to charge the rifle the safety is clumsy but if I was left handed it might be different. The AK is also going to have more kick not much much more but it will be noticeable. I know the question was reliability but I had to bring up some other things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I appreciate the candid advice. I have a buddy who wants to take me to Krebs Custom Guns in Northern IL and he claims, for my purposes(listed earlier), that I can pick up a "kick-ass" Ak for around $1300ish. From my research, the 6920 is maybe $1500. Thats why I'm here!!! Not even knowing you guys on this forum- I think there's more gun knowledge in one of your fingernail clippings, than my my buddy has told me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Either of the weapons your looking at with proper maintenance care and feeding will probably meet your requirements. As the expeirience I have with KREB's AK style/type rifles is limited to what is currently available on the internet I can't see anything wrong with it though I was shocked at he sticker price listed on the site.

Now on the other hand my experience with the COLTS line of Rifles, Carbines and Pistols is a bit more in depth, as I have carried COLTS and FN Rifles throughout my .mil career.

I will say both weapon platforms are considered tops in their class. The AK could generally be considered a bit more "robust in design" the AR is known for its superior accuracy over the AK. Either weapon will perform well in the hands of an experienced shooter familiar with the weapon at hand.

I am not sure what the "investment quality" of KCI AK's are, though traditionally the COLTS seem to maintain a higher level of resale value.

I can only say if it was "MY" money I would go with the 6920 based on experience, training, and reputation in manufacturing.

Hopefully I didn't just "muddy" the waters for you.

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the contrary, a big help! Coming from a guy with military exp.(I have none and I'm truly grateful for your service) I highly value your opinion, exactly what I was looking for! Big thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll take a .223/5.56 AR15 over a 7.62 AK for home defense duties. The 7.62x39 in just about all loadings will produce excessive penetration in building materials. The AK is without question a reliable and proven design. However, I carry an AR daily and don't have any concerns that it's not going to perform as designed, since I know it's properly built and maintained.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm hearing more and more about the advantages by going with Colt for my purposes. Thank you Eric for the insight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I'll take a .223/5.56 AR15 over a 7.62 AK for home defense duties. The 7.62x39 in just about all loadings will produce excessive penetration in building materials. The AK is without question a reliable and proven design. However, I carry an AR daily and don't have any concerns that it's going to perform as designed, since I know it's properly built and maintained.
    I couldn't agree more. 55grain m885 doesn't travel through houses very well at all (firsthand experience ).

**my first post here at WeaponEvolution **
    "What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid-gold baby? Maybe we'll never know."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've just learned that the Colt is not an option for me. I'm going to find a comparable alternative from Armalite or Smith & Wesson.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiretie View Post
    I couldn't agree more. 55grain m885 doesn't travel through houses very well at all (firsthand experience ).

**my first post here at WeaponEvolution **
    Wiretie,

Welcome to the board and congrats on your 1st post.

I do have one thing to share with you though, M855 is a 62 grain cartridge, not a 55 grain. Possibly you were thinking of M193?

Once again welcome aboard.

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads

M855

Wiretie, my real life experience has been exactly opposite of yours with
    M855. I have found the 62 gr "green tip" with the steel penetrator to go through houses very well. Dry wall, mud walls, wood doors, glass etc etc. Just my .02.

Downloads
    Uploads
    lfgmike,

I have never shot the KCI, but have owned an AK and currently own a Colt AR. You will definately not be disappointed with an AR. Lightweight, low recoil and amazingly accurate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was originally looking at the 6920, when I came across the Charles Daly M4LE. It had all of the features I was looking for, such as proper staking and it matched the 6920 in those areas. I picked it up for hundreds less than I was seeing the 6920 go for. I've been very satisfied with my M4LE, and I would highly recommend checking out the review that Stickman did, as well as some other reviews.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since you mentioned that you are willing to look at other brands.. There are a lot of brands out there that are extremely good. Other brands I would look at are Noveske, and LMT. Both have very high marks on quality, reliability, and accuracy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I really appreciate the input. Any thoughts on Armalite?