Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Armalite builds a decent AR15, Eric did a review of one of the Armalite carbines, and really put it through its paces. You might want to check out that review for some solid info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lfgmike View Post
    Thanks. I really appreciate the input. Any thoughts on Armalite?
    Some Armalite info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just heard Diane Feinsteins remarks on "60 Minutes", about how she will push for a full assault rifle ban, just stepped up my quest to own one. Thank you for the in depth info on the Armalite.

Downloads
    Uploads

AR-15 Colt 6721

If you could cough up a couple more bucks, definitely go with the Colt. Mil Spec or not is one thing; the more important factor is the parts are heat treated and rigorously tested (some magnetic XXX process I believe, etc..) to ensure no defect and absolute reliability. If you are thinking about the Colt AR-15, seriously consider the Colt 6721 Tactical instead of the Colt 6920 LE. The Colt 6721 is 7.24 lbs without the magazine and sling. The 6920 is about a lbs lighter. Both models are well balance and no noticeable difference in weight unless you drag it along for hours with a rack sack, which most civilians won't. There is some huge misconception out there that the two carbines are "basically the same" other than the design for M203 grenade launcher with 1 in 7 rate of twist barrel (Colt 6920) and the HBAR with 1 in 9 twist (Colt 6721). Some Colt enthusiasts and shooters overlook or are unaware of the significance of these differences. The 6721 Tactical is unquestionable hands down the better weapon of the two models for 2 significant reasons. (1) The heavy barrel (HBAR) on the 6721 will not easily overheat for sustained rapid firing and is a bit more accurate than the 6920. (2) The slower 1 in 9 twist rate will have a bit more devastating effect on the target (yes, it will tear up the target more than just penetrating a small hole thru). The 1 in 7 twist faster twist rate in the 6920 design was intentional as a result of the Geneva Convention and agreed by the department of defense to be a "wounding gun", which has less devastating effect. Colt company representatives confirmed the 1 in 7 twist best supports bullet weight 55-80 grains, while the 1 in 9 twist shoots 55-70 grains. It all depends on what you are going to use the weapon for. The ONLY time you would want to choose the 6920 over the 6721 is when you want to shoot competition beyond 600 yards (and it won't be much effective further that) or plan to put M203. The 6920 faster twist rate will better handle bullet weight up to 80 grains. Keep in mind though neither of these Colt models are designed to be sniper weapons for long range. If you want a long range weapon, you'll need something else. IMHO after long research and personal experience, the 6721 is without a doubt the better to have between the 2 Colt AR-15 models.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have $1500 to spend on a rifle, I'd focus on:
    Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT for the uppers - comparable parts on lowers or just going with complete guns.

Top end AR's are worth it if you're not strapped for the cash up front, as another person who gets paid to use Colts and FN's in adorably dirty areas.

Just be aware that you'll want to spend between $200 and $800 on support gear for it (PMags, Sling, etc.) and researching a good defense load can help a ton (Find any AR posts made by Molon and let that adventure begin)
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy8888 View Post
    The slower 1 in 9 twist rate will have a bit more devastating effect on the target (yes, it will tear up the target more than just penetrating a small hole thru). The 1 in 7 twist faster twist rate in the 6920 design was intentional as a result of the Geneva Convention and agreed by the department of defense to be a "wounding gun", which has less devastating effect.
    I think you've received some bad information.

Except, yes, the 1 in 7 twist was intentional.

Downloads
    Uploads

Colt 6721

Again, you won't see any noticable difference between the Colt 6920 and 6721, UNTIL you have fired a good number of rounds or when your 6920 heated up. Why do you think Colt put the double hand guard for heat shield? Well, the whimpy barrel of the 6920 heats up after sustained firing. The 6721 can withstand the heat much better. If you take either one to the range for plinking a few rounds, it really doesn't make any difference. Again, if I were to choose, it's 6721 hands down.