Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Forward assist - Y or N?

This might be heresy, but I think I've got enough assembled lowers so I'm just building uppers as the whim hits me now. The one I'm currently contemplating is going to be a basic, no frills, semi-lightweight - flat top receiver, slim profile 14.5" barrel with a pinned/welded flash hider under a 13" free float rail with a fixed front sight, rail for a light, QD mount point for a sling, quality BCG, lightweight RDS, etc. I ordered most everything and then just surfed the web for a bit afterwards. Turns out what I'm building strongly resembles a Thunder Ranch Standard rifle. I see that Clint eschews a forward assist on the rifles. I've been using AR-type rifles for ~20 years for recreation & work. I've always used good quality ammo and have never shot Wolf or similar stuff, and have never needed to use the forward assist on any of my rifles. I'm tempted to get an Aero Precision slick side upper and use that for the build. Seems to me if I get a round not chambering I'm gonna do a malfunction drill rather than try to shove the round in. If it still doesn't feed after that, I've got bigger issues.

To get to the point, has anyone here ever had a real world need for the FA?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only once, and it wasn't for a malfunction. It was night, I heard something move in the house, and at that point in my life it was only me and the wife. No kids yet. She was laying beside me so obviously it wasn't her bumping around the place. I grabbed what was at that time my only AR (grabbed it instead of the pistol because it had the weapon light). It had a loaded mag, I lightly and slowly used the charging handle in an attempt to quietly chamber a round. Due to a lack of inertia it didn't want to seat.... so I used the forward assist.

In the end it just turned out to be the tree dropping crab apples on the roof.

In normal operation I've never needed a FA and don't view them as necessary. Especially since I've moved away from AR's as a primary HD weapon. That said, my most recent build does have one, but mostly just because I wanted it to be "full feature". I also split the difference in weight by getting one of Rainier's lightweight titanium versions of Forward Controls LDFA.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use them on hunting rifles because you can ride the charging handle to quietly chamber a round then fully seat the bolt with the F/A. Bench or plinking rifle I rarely if ever use the F/A But I still believe they are a good idea on any rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think it's necessary, but I don't mind having it. Lore has it that the bolt carrier is dished at the ejection port in order to use your thumb to do the same thing. I think if you need any more force than that to close the bolt you should probably try extracting the round instead. The FA was added at a time when soldiers were told they didn't need to clean their fancy new M16s and ammunition was using inappropriate, dirty propellants. At least that's my understanding.

Go for it. You're not likely to ever need it in real life, and I think it might just make things worse if you used it with a (relatively) clean gun and good ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I vote yes. On at least my non-standard PDW buffer system the BCG stops short more easily than with mil-spec. For a defense gun I see it as cheap insurance against the unlikely malf or need for quiet mode.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Sinner’s point is the only time I’ve wanted one. Even then, I load mine before the hunt if I’m not climbing trees.

On Aragorn’s point, my HD rifle is always loaded.

I prefer no FA. But I have some rifles with them and they aren’t an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I don't think it's necessary, but I don't mind having it. Lore has it that the bolt carrier is dished at the ejection port in order to use your thumb to do the same thing. I think if you need any more force than that to close the bolt you should probably try extracting the round instead. The FA was added at a time when soldiers were told they didn't need to clean their fancy new M16s and ammunition was using inappropriate, dirty propellants. At least that's my understanding.

Go for it. You're not likely to ever need it in real life, and I think it might just make things worse if you used it with a (relatively) clean gun and good ammo.
    It’s dished for the ejection port door to be able to close and the taper opens the port door. Not at all intended to be used as an assist.

Downloads
    Uploads
    99% of my Uppers have F/A's. I don't think you really need a F/A, but I don't actively seek out non-FA uppers either.

I wouldn't over think this one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shoot suppressed 99.9% of the time. They’re mandatory for me, as the amount I shoot tends to dirty up the rifles even with adjustable gas

Downloads
    Uploads
    Absolutely.

You cannot press check your rifle without a forward assist, how else do you get it 100% back into battery?

Every rifle, always functional. Not even a consideration.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. I wouldn't build a rifle without one. There will come a day when it doesn't go into full battery.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Absolutely.

You cannot press check your rifle without a forward assist, how else do you get it 100% back into battery?

Every rifle, always functional. Not even a consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Yes. I wouldn't build a rifle without one. There will come a day when it doesn't go into full battery.
    The only time you'll miss it will be that "oh shit moment", "I need it", and don't have it. Kind of like going over a bluff in your car and wishing you'd had worn your seat belt. Both statements above = wisdom.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    None of my uppers have FA. All of my uppers are also basically recreational guns.

After owning and shooting AR platforms for a few years now I honestly think the FA is a '99% of the time' it will be useless, but on that 1% it will be like 'holy crap I am glad that was there'.

If I was building a TRUE HD or weapon for someone that will use it in life threatening situations (like cops or whatnot) I would not have one without it. That little bit of extra insurance is always a good thing.

Most people will never use it but it's good to have in the above mentioned scenario(s). For the rest of us we can take our time to clear the gun as needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    The only time you'll miss it will be that "oh shit moment", "I need it", and don't have it. Kind of like going over a bluff in your car and wishing you'd had worn your seat belt. Both statements above = wisdom.

FT
    Just follow the logical process tree down.

You have an AR without an FA and don't press check, you need to shoot bad guy, AR isn't in battery, probability of dying, high.

You have an AR without an FA, you need to press check. So you rack the round to make sure you have one in the pipe, making noise and giving away your position. Also it may still not be in battery. Probability of dying, still high.

You press check your AR which has an FA and tap the FA to make sure it's in battery, probability of dying, lower than those things above.

Now if you're a gamer and want go full gamer mode and not even remotely consider real world applications, situations or training then yeah knock yourself out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The FA and non-FA debate has been well rehearsed. I prefer the reasoning of Clint Smith and Aaron Cowen for non-FA. Call PWS and ask them why their revered rifles lack FA.

The FA is known to create its own problems, so it’s not just “insurance” but a feature to understand and use with its pros and cons. You can presscheck without an FA or touching the bolt. My FA rifles are treated like non-FA but when on the workbench or climbing a tree.