Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^ because they would get in the way of those fancy ribbed for her pleasure details on their uppers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    The FA and non-FA debate has been well rehearsed. I prefer the reasoning of Clint Smith and Aaron Cowen for non-FA. Call PWS and ask them why their revered rifles lack FA.

The FA is known to create its own problems, so it’s not just “insurance” but a feature to understand and use with its pros and cons. You can presscheck without an FA or touching the bolt. My FA rifles are treated like non-FA but when on the workbench or climbing a tree.
    Lol.

Go ahead an run an AR without an FA.

It's your call.

The last thirty years of AR application in the real world have taught us a lot of things, having an FA is one of those things.

This is one of those situations where people have experience on a square range and think it'll transfer over to real world application.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d like to know what issues a F/A has caused?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Causes you to spend $10 for one when putting together that upper.

I honestly don't think about this, because most uppers include a F/A. You have to actively seek out one that doesn't have it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Causes you to spend $10 for one when putting together that upper.

I honestly don't think about this, because most uppers include a F/A. You have to actively seek out one that doesn't have it.
    Just like you have to actively seek out an issue with an FA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Actually I'd be interested in hearing about this. Not trying to call anyone out, I've just never heard of one causing an issue.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with the FA is user error. And as I recall, the FA came about because of inadequate diagnosis of issues and manual of arms. Normalization of a feature does not automatically determine best practice.

When the rifle is inoperable, you should be clearing it, not forcing a number of things into it. In the heat of the moment, do you have the time to diagnose your malfunction? Is there an empty case jamming extraction? Sand and dirt inhibiting chambering? How do you know what the problem is? Do you want your eyes on the threat or to determine if it’s safe to use your FA? You can take yourself out of a fight pushing crap into your chamber or complicating a simple malfunction. Clearing the chamber will always be the best and fastest way to remedy any problem without diagnosing what it is. Always train to clear the chamber with the same action. Pull things out. Don’t push things in. This is true of rifle and pistol. Let the weapon operate as designed.

If you need an FA because you have no lube, you’ve got other problems on your hands.

If you need FA to press check before a confrontation, you need to learn to sort your stuff out before the fight, not during. Plus, you can press check without needing an FA.

That’s the layman’s explanation of the non-FA view. Take it or leave it. I think it complicates training and overthinks a potential problem and adds new ones. As I said above, FA is for safety when climbing trees during the hunt or tinkering at the bench. Otherwise it’s a vestigial organ giving a false sense of security and even encouraging improper function.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh ok, you're talking about operator error. I misinterpreted and thought there was an implication that the part itself somehow was at fault.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Oh ok, you're talking about operator error. I misinterpreted and thought there was an implication that the part itself somehow was at fault.
    Not that I’m aware of. But hey, it is one more thing in the upper that *could* cause a problem. Plus, Lefties or the injured right handed operator could rip off a nail pulling an ambi CH over that lovely FA button... :).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plus, Lefties or the injured right handed operator could rip off a nail pulling an ambi CH over that lovely FA button... :).
    By that logic, we shouldn't be installing ambi charging handles then.

I think the flaw in this (very tired) argument is that it assumes the issue is in the chamber. It's also very possible that the slow down/lack of battery can be due to crud in the receiver, in which case pushing the FA isn't causing any issue as it relates to a chamber "jam."

Personally, I can't imagine not having a FA. But I've also used a FA on more than one occasion after a rifle has been exposed to dirt and/or rain while also being suppressed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lefties or the injured right handed operator could rip off a nail pulling an ambi CH over that lovely FA button... :).
    Forward Controls Low Drag Forward Assist.

http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com...sist_p_16.html

All my AR's with FA have this.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny you mentioning this - that's what I'd decided to do as a "compromise" on the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Forward Controls Low Drag Forward Assist.

http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com...sist_p_16.html

All my AR's with FA have this.
    Yeah, I’ve got a couple of those. :)

And everyone will defend their choices. I shared some non-FA reasons, per your request.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I’ve got a couple of those. :)

And everyone will defend their choices. I shared some non-FA reasons, per your request.
    That wasn't to argue. More pointing in a direction for the Internet non-WEVO regular's who will undoubtedly search this topic and end up in this thread.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Somebody should make a FA that works as a bottle opener, too.