Downloads
    Uploads

Light Body Armor that stops 50 BMG at 20 yards

What in the hell! What do you guys make of this?

It's non metal.
    4lbs total weight
    It floats.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that though. The shock and energy alone would probably knock you flat on your ass and break bones, and that alone might kill you, but still pretty impressive stuff none the less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    MSRP $410 bucks.

Just in case you ever thought you might get shot at point blank by pretty much anything, much less a 50 BMG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UHMWPE plates are typically buoyant, since they are so lightweight. They also doesn't stop M855 generally, due to the steel core penetrator; steel armor tends to have the opposite problem, being able to defeat M855, but M193 can often go through it at close enough ranges (the sheer velocity allows the bullet to punch through).

By not mentioning the issues with M855, I think that this video will be unfortunately be furthering misinformation about UHMWPE. There are already enough shysters out there that market Level 3 UHMWPE armor as being super awesome due to its lightweight properties and multi-hit abilities for rated threats, and they simply market how their plates can absorb a lot of punishment with typical .308 Win/7.62 NATO, but neglect to mention how one of the most common 5.56 NATO rounds that can often be found at sporting goods stores can zip through it. And because folks don't know better, and just assume that if a plate can defeat .308 Win, it'll stop all .223 Rem, which simply isn't the case.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 8 July 2018 at 20:56.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    UHMWPE plates are typically buoyant, since they are so lightweight. They also doesn't stop M855 generally, due to the steel core penetrator; steel armor tends to have the opposite problem, being able to defeat M855, but M193 can often go through it at close enough ranges (the sheer velocity allows the bullet to punch through).

By not mentioning the issues with M855, I think that this video will be unfortunately be furthering misinformation about UHMWPE. There are already enough shysters out there that market Level 3 UHMWPE armor as being super awesome due to its lightweight properties and multi-hit abilities for rated threats, and they simply mention how their plates can absorb a lot of punishment with typical .308 Win/7.62 NATO, but neglect to mention how one of the most common 5.56 NATO rounds that can often be found at sporting goods stores can zip through it. And because folks don't know better, and just assume that if a plate can defeat .308 Win, it'll stop all .223 Rem, which simply isn't the case.
    I've never used or needed body armor so it's all academic to me.

That said if they can mix and match this material with other stuff they potentially could have some really game changing stuff. They could in theory armor cars up a hell of a lot lighter even or a whole host of uses.

This is not my area of need or expertise, I just thought it was interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    That said if they can mix and match this material with other stuff they potentially could have some really game changing stuff. They could in theory armor cars up a hell of a lot lighter even or a whole host of uses.
    Hybrid plates are actually not a new thing; the AMI TAC3S plates have been around for a decade now, and has a 4.5mm steel strike face with a Dyneema backing; very tough plate, can take a lot of punishment from non-AP rounds, albeit on the heavy side. There are also many other hybrid plates out there that combine ceramic with UHMWPE; a ceramic strike face is essentially the only way to stop AP rounds for body armor.

For vehicles, I would think that the bulk makes it untenable, compared to steel, even if steel is much heavier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen a lot about this stuff, also. Metal foam.

https://www.popsci.com/metal-foam-st...s-than-an-inch
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper