Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Give me some ideas

I've got a line on a super deal for a complete BCM lower assembly, new in box. I was thinking of picking it up this weekend, if the deal goes through. Problem is, I don't have a clue what to do with it, as far as a complete rifle. My last project was for a rifle that I had thought about for a long time, a sturdy but light 5lb. camo'd rifle. Missed it by 2 oz. Was happy with that. But I've got a safe full of 5.56 rifles, and I'm getting bored with those. I'm hoping someone can come up with something new and exciting. But....here's the things I don't want.

No NFA stuff, period. I love shooting suppressed rifles, but they do have their drawbacks. Long story short, I did the dance with NFA and it was just a plain nightmare for me, and I also felt like that stuff belonged to the ATF and I had to ask "daddy" ATF, what, where and when I could have something. Getting rid of it was a nightmare too. Not knocking other's choice to own that kind of thing, but just not for me. So that eliminates SBR's, Suppressors, etc.

So a pinned 14.5 or 16, it is.

Caliber. A couple of years or three ago, if you didn't have a 300 BLK piston operated weapon, around here, anyway, you just weren't cool. I rarely see people buying or talking or shooting piston kits, or really even 300 BLK's. I don't know if it's regional or not, but in my circles you can't even give one away. I've read thread after thread here and on other forums that discuss the 300, and ammo around here is plentiful. But after all I've read, I'm not convinced they are the Hogzilla killers people think they are. This coming from a guy that used to hunt hogs with some heavy duty stuff to put pissed off hogs down where the stand. Plus I'm not hunting hogs anymore, due to logistics with storing and sharing the meat. I'm not even sure as to their effectiveness against bad guys. In short, people go back and forth on the subject, and I end up with more questions than answers.

I posted a question about a 458 SOCOM here quite a while ago, and it didn't raise much excitement either. I also don't want to pay 50 bucks a box for ammo.

As far as caliber goes, though, I'm open minded, but would definitely want a reason, such as a real performance gain over 5.56. But with easily found ammo that won't go out of style in a couple of years.

Sorry for the length of this, and I may have eliminated every option I have, but I'm hoping someone has a light bulb go off in their head and make recommendation I could use. Please, if you recommend a certain thing over another, explain why.

Thanks ahead,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did I read this right?

FT is building another gun?

The NFA processes is much easier than you think. Don't let your one bad experience taint you.

Having said that, I vote 10.5" with a SB Tactical Brace.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Having said that, I vote 10.5" with a SB Tactical Brace.
    Been thinking about a pistol.

What do you think SB brace vs Shockwave blade?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did I read this right?

Yeah, I was waiting for that. Hope you had a good chuckle, chuckle head.....
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Been thinking about a pistol.

What do you think SB brace vs Shockwave blade?
    The Brace is just more comfortable and more shoulderable... I guess that's not the intent, but the new generation of braces just throws up the bird to the ATF. I don't have a problem with it. The Blade has it's positives, cost being the most obvious one, but I really like the SB Tactical 3 position PDW brace for what it is. A nice side step to the NFA with minimal compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Yeah, I was waiting for that. Hope you had a good chuckle, chuckle head.....
    We always hope it's the last build, but sometimes shit just drops in our lap, or we get the itch. I just knew it would happen !

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did I read this right?

This is his last LAST one. No seriously. He means it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about this. A 14.5 with a pinned comp in 300 BLK using 125 grain (or something close) factory ammo. Due to logistics problem (temp) lost access to shop, I'd like to order from someone who can sell the parts and assemble the thing with the components I choose. Went to Raineer arms but all I could find in 14.5 was one $425 barrel. How would that round/barrel length work? Could it serve as both a paper puncher, and CLEANLY take down a deer out to say...125 yards?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    This is his last LAST one. No seriously. He means it.
    Why doesn't everyone just get together and have a group laugh on me, and get it over with.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    How about this. A 14.5 with a pinned comp in 300 BLK using 125 grain (or something close) factory ammo. Due to logistics problem (temp) lost access to shop, I'd like to order from someone who can sell the parts and assemble the thing with the components I choose. Went to Raineer arms but all I could find in 14.5 was one $425 barrel. How would that round/barrel length work? Could it serve as both a paper puncher, and CLEANLY take down a deer out to say...125 yards?

FT
    That would come down to ammo. I've got Barnes VOR-TX rounds in my 8.2" blackout that, if I could place the shot well enough (it's a tiny gun with a red dot) I would trust to drop one cleanly at 300y. Those VOR-TX rounds are not effing around.

My barrel came from Ballistic advantage. They have one in 14.5" as well.

https://ballisticadvantage.com/14-5-...rn-series.html

Actually they sell uppers and everything. I'd imagine you could call them up have have them build one out for you.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    At this point, I think 300blk is of no advantage but for short barrel suppressed.

If I was in your shoes, I’d look hard at the 6.8spc. Great all-around caliber for defense and hunting and adds something new to your stable. Plus, it’s the parent case for the Valkyrie which you may end up falling into on the next deal you find.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    At this point, I think 300blk is of no advantage but for short barrel suppressed.
    This.

No reason to go with 14.5 or 16 if you're going to go 300 BLK. No suppressor? I wouldn't do 300.

FT, you have plenty of 16" + guns. I'd go short. Let this one be a toy, the braces have come a long way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got into 300 BLK myself, kind of on a whim. Basically I just built an upper.

While I understand the sentiment about suppression (BELIEVE ME, I do) if one's goal is to have a short to medium range hunting rig 300 BLK with light supers (say 125gr) is definitely not joking around. At 100 to 200 yards bambi does not stand a chance. Of course a lot of that comes down to terrain and bullet selection. Where I live because it's so heavily forested if you get a 200 yard shot on a deer people are in the "holy cow" zone.

That said you can wring out that same performance out of a 9" barrel. 16" inch, sure, whatever, but you won't gain a lot going longer with that caliber.

300 BLK is probably the most diverse gun calibers out there as far as capabilities go. You can go ninja quiet or you can go supersonic with light stuff all the way up to heavies.

If you insist on 300 BLK, I think honestly it's definitely not a bad round, especially for limited engagement distances. Inside 200 yards with supersonic ammo anything white tail size and smaller will be screwed.

I am kind of with Uwone on this one. Go with a 9" or something like that and put a brace on it. Run 100% supers 100% of the time since you aren't into NFA. Don't even bother chasing around heavy or subsonic ammo. A gun like that will give you an entirely different feel. You can hunt with a red dot and those short packaged guns are very addictive.

Terminal ballistics wise, if you shot a deer at 200 yards with a 300 BLK with supersonic ammo, it would have roughly the same 'f'ing up the animal power' as shooting the same bullet out of a 18 inch .308 at roughly 300 yards. A .308 will definitely kill bambi at 300 yards and 300 BLK will do the same damage at 200 yards and within, generally even out of short barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post

If I was in your shoes, I’d look hard at the 6.8spc. Great all-around caliber for defense and hunting and adds something new to your stable. Plus, it’s the parent case for the Valkyrie which you may end up falling into on the next deal you find.
    Yup. If you’re looking at 300BLK for 16” supers, switch gears and go 6.8SPC or 7.62x39. The x39 ballistics are very similar to 300BLK (super) and Ammo is way cheaper and sure as hell not going anywhere

Then there’s always 22 Nosler or 224Valkyrie but I’m even having reservations about Valkyrie. I think 90gr bullets are still too much for it. Proven bullets in .224 being 77gr TMK or 80gr ELD at a substantial velocity boost

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Yup. If you’re looking at 300BLK for 16” supers, switch gears and go 6.8SPC or 7.62x39. The x39 ballistics are very similar to 300BLK (super) and Ammo is way cheaper and sure as hell not going anywhere
    Thank you all for the suggestions, and keep 'em coming if you got anything else on your mind. 11B had a good idea, I think. Although this will be primarily a paper puncher with a relatively less expensive red dot (thinking Aimpoint Pro) it could be a life saver in the event of a catastrophic event. KY sets just off the New Madrid fault, and is capable of producing a quake that will make San Andreas people look like wussies. Other stuff too, like 50 tornados in a day, or whatever. Those are the realistic things that I prep for. 7.62X39 is plentiful and cheap, and like 11B said, "it's not going anywhere". Also could be pressed into hunting service, although I have a LR-10 that might be better suited for that.

If by some unholy thing I got cut off from all my 5.56, 7.62 would be another pleniful ammo I might buy, barter, steal or fight for. Any comments or other suggestions, please jump in. I don't have to have this thing done in a week or anything.

Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 300 BLK and agree with the others that I really wouldn't bother if you aren't going to SBR and suppress it. 6.8 SPC is a great round, especially for hunting, but ammo isn't exactly plentiful (although the XM68GD is awesome) and reloaders get more performance out of the round since Remmy messed up the SAAMI spec.

Since it's a complete lower I presume it has a stock so I'd want to ensure it was transferred as "Other" before I built it in to a pistol if you consider going that route. All my lowers get built into pistols first so I can stay within the letter of the law when switching between pistol and rifle.