Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am going to come at this from a different angle. I would take a pass on the lower. If you buy a 556 lower your options are limited to what you can build and you put yourself into a box with only a few options. If you pass on the lower you leave all of your options open to build whatever you want and will have more time to figure out what you really want to do. My builds usually take about a year and a half from conception to firing the rifle. Half the fun is chasing down all the right parts and getting it exactly the way you want it. Fighting the urge to get that initial impulse buy is hard but in the end stops us from backing ourselves into a corner. I would pass on the lower and take more ideas on other options...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I am going to come at this from a different angle. I would take a pass on the lower. If you buy a 556 lower your options are limited to what you can build and you put yourself into a box with only a few options. If you pass on the lower you leave all of your options open to build whatever you want and will have more time to figure out what you really want to do. My builds usually take about a year and a half from conception to firing the rifle. Half the fun is chasing down all the right parts and getting it exactly the way you want it. Fighting the urge to get that initial impulse buy is hard but in the end stops us from backing ourselves into a corner. I would pass on the lower and take more ideas on other options...
    I like that. I like that post a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I bet FT already purchased it.

FT, this is no knock on you. I've done it before, and really I think we all have. Even when I ask people for opinions, I already have my mind 90% made up.

If you want a 16" 300 unsuppressed Blackout, go for it. It's still fuckin America!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I bet FT already purchased it.

FT, this is no knock on you. I've done it before, and really I think we all have. Even when I ask people for opinions, I already have my mind 90% made up.

If you want a 16" 300 unsuppressed Blackout, go for it. It's still fuckin America!
    Actually, I'm sort of leaning towards 11B's idea of building it into a 7.62X39. Gives me an option on ammo, ammo plentiful, enough balls to cleanly take game at reasonable ranges and in a format that I'm very familiar and comfortable with. To my mind, it just makes sense, although I have to admit, my mind has been responsible for a few cluster F#%K's over the years. Then again my mind may be subject to change at anytime, without notice.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT, as far as performance goes in an AR15 lower, I would vote for 6.8SPC. I have two - 10.5 SBR and 16 carbine, both piston. I really like the cartridge. Ammo pricing has come down, readily available, and lots of .270 bullet weights. Easy to reload.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    FT, as far as performance goes in an AR15 lower, I would vote for 6.8SPC. I have two - 10.5 SBR and 16 carbine, both piston. I really like the cartridge. Ammo pricing has come down, readily available, and lots of .270 bullet weights. Easy to reload.
    Yes, I think this was mentioned above. The ballistics are pretty awesome for a round this size, and definitely worth considering. If IRCC, I read that the Army, Marines? , one or another, were considering this to replace the 5.56 in their Spec Ops units, with 6.8SPC, which if it happened, would benefit me, by keeping the caliber "alive" and available. Lots of good info in this thread, maybe more to come. Might take a wile to consume it all and make a decision.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 18 July 2018 at 07:27.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

If you insist on 300 BLK, I think honestly it's definitely not a bad round, especially for limited engagement distances. Inside 200 yards with supersonic ammo anything white tail size and smaller will be screwed.
    Around here we call that a 30-30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am definitely a fan of the 6.8 and have wanted to do a build for the longest time. LWRC makes a dedicated full ambi receiver set for a DI gun and uses Magpul 68 magazines which are available in a bunch of sizes.

https://xtremegunsandammo.com/shop/f...-receiver-set/
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want longer, go 6.8. If you want shorter go .300. Either is more than adequate for slaying deer.

Cool thing about a small .300 pistol is this...

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  947.9 KB

Views: 216
Size:  909.0 KB

Views: 256
Size:  1,022.3 KB

Hides in the ultra inconspicuous Camelbak. 3 40 round mags for 120 rounds total. Rounds that expand out to 300y even out of the short barrel. Granted when I set mine up I did so as an emergency use travel gun. I figure 120 rounds of that plus my handgun should get me back to my other rifles/ammo, or give me long enough to secure something else. But that's also bug out end of the world type thinking. Really though and in all actuality, for any trouble encountered on the side of the road or whatever, it's PLENTY. Pressed into the 120y hunting roll you specified, it would also be PLENTY.

For your purpose (120y hunting, possible bug out), the only reason I see to go with a larger rifle in 6.8 vs. a .300 pistol would be for the want of a legit stock. Even then though, the SB SOB I have on there is awesome, and with the Law Tactical folder, the LOP pretty much exactly where I normally run my stocks. As UWone pointed out, they also make adjustable ones as well. Seriously, it's like packing around a .30 cal semi-auto sub gun with 40 round capacity. It's awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aragorn; 2 September 2022 at 18:22.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT

I also +1 the shorty option with a brace..no longer then 10.5” and shorter if you want to party

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    FT

I also +1 the shorty option with a brace..no longer then 10.5” and shorter if you want to party
    I'm pretty sure I've decided on the 6.8 SPC II with a HBAR 16" barrel.

Thanks to all for the help.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hell yeah!! Not sure if you have heard of the 68 forum but there is a boatload of knowledge over there about the 68 caliber. One of the mods over there is a member here too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've decided on the 6.8 SPC II with a HBAR 16" barrel.

Thanks to all for the help.

FT
    Well, that surprises me. Which barrel? I recommend ARP: https://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38010/27237

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Well, that surprises me. Which barrel? I recommend ARP: https://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38010/27237
    BU, I'm looking for a decent complete upper assy if I can find one. Since I'm putting it on a complete lower, which surprisingly, I like just like it is. Hoping to make this a assemble and shoot project.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I just spec'd one out on their website. Comes in under 1K with all the "extras" I added on.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger