Downloads
    Uploads

7.62x39 upper build - info needed

So as not to derail FortTom's thread, I'm starting a new one. That thread may have solved a conundrum for me - what to do with the "spare" upper I have? I'm now thinking a Faxon 16" "Gunner" barrel in 7.62x39 would add ammo capability and keep a familiar platform, plus I already have plenty of furniture and parts so I wouldn't be starting over from scratch. Does anyone have some personal experience or good links on building such an upper? M4 ramps versus something else? Any issues with using the Vltor A5 buffer system, mid-length vs. Carbine gas, etc.? Magazine recommendations also - apparently Magpul doesn't make AR mags in 7.62x39, so I'm at a loss as to what a decent brand would be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I remember correctly, C-products Defense Gen3's were developed in conjunction with Faxon. Supposedly one of the better mags for that caliber. I would call Faxon and pick their brain...

https://cpdmags.com/
    Last edited by Stone; 14 July 2018 at 12:45.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
    So as not to derail FortTom's thread, I'm starting a new one. That thread may have solved a conundrum for me - what to do with the "spare" upper I have? I'm now thinking a Faxon 16" "Gunner" barrel in 7.62x39 would add ammo capability and keep a familiar platform, plus I already have plenty of furniture and parts so I wouldn't be starting over from scratch. Does anyone have some personal experience or good links on building such an upper? M4 ramps versus something else? Any issues with using the Vltor A5 buffer system, mid-length vs. Carbine gas, etc.? Magazine recommendations also - apparently Magpul doesn't make AR mags in 7.62x39, so I'm at a loss as to what a decent brand would be.
    Don't worry about it. That wasn't "my thread", it's everyone's thread, as far as I'm concerned. Oh shit! I almost sound like Obama. "You didn't build that thread"

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper