Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    After a month of carry.... what's your verdict on the T+?

My impressions are that the Titan Plus was probably one of the best buys I've ever made. Without a doubt. Handy as hell. I also have several friends that all want to buy them as well now (not gun people). They would see my light and be like "Man! I am going to buy one of those for my wife for Christmas!" or whatever... hopefully Surefire sends me a gift certificate for pimping their gear and expanding the herd. LOL

For my style of carry (light easy comfortable) it's quite literally almost a perfect choice and the power level is really amazing considering how small it is.

The other light I got I've been carrying that too. The EDCL1-T. It's definitely good too. Like it and I am glad I bought it. It has more than one use than just putting it in my pocket or whatever.

In a nutshell I give the Titan Plus a 95% or more, which means I love it.

The EDCL1 is good too but I would keep the door open for adding more options for that 'style' of light. I would probably give it an 85% on the basis that the bezzle is a bigger diameter than the body and depending on how I wear it I can tell it's there just because of how it rides. It's not like its horrible but I would keep the door open to more options should I ever get to go someplace where I can see and handle a lot of different lights before I purchase them. I am pretty sure it's common knowledge around here now that I am not normally a buy things sight unseen kind of person for a lot of things. LOL

In the mean time and for 95% of my use it works perfectly and is definitely a great light.

On a side note when I got the EDCL1 right out of the box I had some problem with it. It would cut in and out and turn off by itself and all sorts of weird stuff. I ended up taking it completely apart (tail cap and bezzle) and sprayed them down with some electronics cleaner and reassmbled everything. After that not a single hiccup. I think the original problem was either the bezzle wasn't originally tightened down right or maybe something light got in the connection with the battery but once I got everything nice and snug it's been a fantastic little light.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 9 September 2018 at 13:19.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to hear the T+ met your expectations. Once ya get past the price tag for a 1AAA it ain't too bad. I think of it as the Rolex of 1AAA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to hear the T+ met your expectations. Once ya get past the price tag for a 1AAA it ain't too bad. I think of it as the Rolex of 1AAA.
    It definitely met expectations. I think surefire should make a slightly bigger one that say throws more lumens but retains the same overall body shape and has a gas pedal button on the tail like the other light I have.

If they can get that much light out of a single AAA why not scale it up to a AA or a 123 battery and see what we can get? Keep the same clip style and everything. My biggest complaint about the other light (not the titan) is that the bezzle is bigger than the body tube. That's just my personal feeling.

I think a "plus size" titan plus would be a great option even if they don't use the accelerator pedal on the tail. Even if they keep the bezzle twist it would be awesome. Same exact design only bigger and more juice.

As for the batteries, one thing I have a lot of it's batteries. In my photography hobby I have a lot of AA and AAA rechargeables that I rarely if ever use. They were originally intended for flash and wireless flash controllers but honestly I almost never touch my flash stuff for the most part. I pretty much haven't gotten into the whole studio photography thing so I have at least a dozen AA and at least 8 or 10 AAA that are all rechargeable.

Pretty much I decided to try the Titan because I had a good stash of batteries that I can use for it and I am glad I did. So far it's a real winner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If they can get that much light out of a single AAA why not scale it up to a AA or a 123 battery and see what we can get? Keep the same clip style and everything. My biggest complaint about the other light (not the titan) is that the bezzle is bigger than the body tube. That's just my personal feeling.
    Yeah, 300 lumens from a 1 x AAA is impressive to say the least. Of course that 300 lumens is just for a few seconds. It comes down to earth real quick. If you want a slightly larger diameter bang-zoom 1 x CR123, Olight makes a 900 lumen S1R Turbo S.

Here are T+ runtimes graphs for 300 high, 75 medium and 15 low.
    99% of the time low and medium serve my Average Joe needs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably not enough horsepower for you , but.... I really love my Streamlight Protac 2AAA. I think it's only 80 lumens on the first setting but I've found this to be bright enough for situations I find myself in. It's about the size of a Sharpie.

I used this light for the night portion at the Alliance Shoot House class I took last year. Guys were telling me I was going to want more (for a portion, we were not allowed to use a WML) but I found that I had plenty of light to navigate and identify threats or non-threats.

My light is the most frequently used item in my EDC. I find myself using it pretty darn often.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was such an old thread and you found a light. Great choice.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Probably not enough horsepower for you
    That part of your comment really caught my eye here. Before I started I had one view on lumens and now after a mere month I have a whole new outlook on things. Honestly the whole reason why I even started the thread was to pick all you guys brains. I tried to use the collective knowledge plus add in what I think my intended purpose would be in order to just make an educated guess.

I do have to say that carrying a light around (actually two of them) for a month has been a lesson in and of itself. It's like that old saying 'one day of doing is worth a month of talking about it' or something like that.

I have been paying attention and taking mental notes about when and where and how I use the light(s) and I can say that I use my light(s) on low power probably 90% of the time or more. The great lumen race might be good for some things but not everything. Talk about having an epiphany sort of. What I thought I wanted + what I learned = not what I started out wanting. It's pretty awesome actually. Like I said many times before ... I LOVE learning and this whole thing has been a good learning experience.

The Titan for example has 3 settings. 15, 75, and 300. Like I said, the 75 gets used the most, the 15 second, and the 300 not nearly as much (but it does get used).

The two lights I have now have taught me that being a lumen whore isn't always the smartest use of money. The higher lumen counts do matter but it all depends on what you're doing. I've tried it extensively in both the country and the city...but day to day 'grandma lost her cel phone in the dark movie theater' needs, or 'somebody needs to dig through their purse in the car at night' needs...

Those kinds of things (for me) come up a lot more than getting shot at or having to blind an assailant.

In both the country and city testing I am doing more than 500 lumens could be of use in some situations but overall day to day does it warrant carrying around something huge that can melt your eyeballs? Probably not.

I think it was Will who mentioned 'candela' and that is something I would like to know more about, such as how many candela do my specific lights put out and how can you find that out about other lights?

With hindsight being 20/20 if I had to make a list of important things today it would be something like this:

Overall size and shape of the light (something awkward or too big and you won't carry it on your person)
    Multiple power settings
    How do the controls work?
    The spill of the beam
    The color of the beam
    lumens/candela (I understand they aren't the same thing)

I can go back and explain why I am forming my opinions that way, but the important thing is that I am actually forming an opinion. For lack of a better word it's pretty eye opening. For example I didn't want to get a light that is under powered but that was just me honestly 'wondering out loud'....

After I have tried it out for a while I could live with 300 lumens all day every day provided the other criteria are better met, and if I really wanted to get down to bare bones a light with two settings, 20 and 100 or 15 and 75 lumens in all reality meet most of my day to day needs.

It's good to have more than that on hand but it's not an all the time thing.

Although the thread itself has kind of died off I am still learning a lot, which is a good thing. I am also realizing that I should have bought a good light years ago. I am finding I use the damn things quite a lot and it's not just because they are new toys.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 September 2018 at 13:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, 300 lumens from a 1 x AAA is impressive to say the least. Of course that 300 lumens is just for a few seconds. It comes down to earth real quick. If you want a slightly larger diameter bang-zoom 1 x CR123, Olight makes a 900 lumen S1R Turbo S.

Here are T+ runtimes graphs for 300 high, 75 medium and 15 low.
    99% of the time low and medium serve my Average Joe needs.

Nice charts man. You're going to have to show me where you get those.

Also how much do you know about measuring candela?

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a time and galaxy far far away.... a 20-30 lumen flashlight was consider eye-blistering. By today's standards I'm surprised I ever found my way home with this in my hand.