Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    It's a good thing that long distance is basically free now.

I cringe to think what a phone bill between alamo and Gene would be.
    HAAHAA!!

Bird of a feather nerd out together!

You should see me geeking out on stuff that I make money on! LOL!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The edcl1 and 2 don't have click switches. You can go constant on at high or low by threading in the tailcap. Low occurs first, then keep going for high. Just like when you're pressing on it.

It's very intuitive and they aren't overly expensive.
    That's perfect!!!

It's on the short list.

There is a lot of info to digest here. I am learning from all you guys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I apologize. Gene is Gene Malkoff of Malkoff Devices. He makes flashlights, parts and conversions. Reputation among flashaholoics for being among the best of the best. Gene is a great guy. If you have any questions give him a ring and he'll likely tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

A bezel switch is an optional part that allows the Malkoff MD2 series flashlight to function in low mode. Think of it like a resistor. Say your MD2 is a 400 lumen single output light. Turn the head 1/8 turn and now you've got a single output 20 lumen flashlight. My MD2 has three output levels from I think 30 to around 400 lumens. Turn the head slightly and now I've got a three output flashlight from 20 lumen to sub-umen. Comes in handy when you don't want to lose your night vision by clicking the tail cap to 'Retina Melter' mode by mistake.

A flashlight junkie's playground.
    https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com

That's awesome. Gene sounds like my kind of guy.

If it were not for nerds like us all the knuckle draggers would still be using giant D cell maglites that put out the same light as a birthday candle.

As for the multiple levels of out put I think that's a great idea. Instead of off or full blast having options in the middle sounds great and something I will have.

Honestly, and all joking aside I do learn a ton from you all. There are so many frickin' rabbit holes to go down though. It doesn't matter what it is... barrel material... we could spend 5 days going over just that. Optics...insane amount of stuff there. Muzzle devices... people could go on about that for days.

Flashlights is just one of a many different things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I was going to read your post Alamo but decided to read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy instead. It took less time.
    You will come to appreciate my thorough geekness someday. LOL!

People like me can analyze little stuff to death if you let us. But at the end of the day who would you rather have working on your airplane? A perfectionist or bubba who hopes that his MacGuyver duct tape job holds up long enough so that he doesn't get blamed when there is an eventual crash?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I was going to read your post Alamo but decided to read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy instead. It took less time.
    Lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    That's awesome. Gene sounds like my kind of guy.

If it were not for nerds like us all the knuckle draggers would still be using giant D cell maglites that put out the same light as a birthday candle.

As for the multiple levels of out put I think that's a great idea. Instead of off or full blast having options in the middle sounds great and something I will have.

Honestly, and all joking aside I do learn a ton from you all. There are so many frickin' rabbit holes to go down though. It doesn't matter what it is... barrel material... we could spend 5 days going over just that. Optics...insane amount of stuff there. Muzzle devices... people could go on about that for days.

Flashlights is just one of a many different things.
    This knuckle dragger has put out a few lights with his prized D cell maglite.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bag on it if you want, but I bought my girlfriend a S&W M&P branded light that runs on 2 CR123's and puts out 490 lumens per the label. I believe this output to be accurate. It has high (always up first), low (next), and strobe (worthless and last as it should be since they had to include it). The light appears to have similar workmanship as the Streamlite Protac series. I purchased tthis light for $24.77. I believe it was due to a mislabel on the rack, but they honored it as it legit was placed there, no empty spots where it "should have been", and no other of its kind where a customer obviously put it back incorrectly. Legit mislabel. Actual was close to $60.

That said, if I were paying list on everything...

This is the smallest/dimmest I'd go:
    https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Then this: https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...rds=Streamlite
    Then this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...dp_ob_title_hi

Honestly, for a non-recoil involving environment, I love Streamlight.

If you just "have to have the best", then I am still in the Surefire camp, but you WILL pay for it, and the performance won't be much better than Streamlight, if any at all, until you begin throwing "beat it to hell" into the mix.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m actually surprised at the amount of SureFire love on here. I’ve found they only last 8-12 months in a work environment. Tailcaps that are prone to failure of the membrane and fogging inside the lens have been an ongoing issue with my last few.

I’m going on my 3rd year pretty much using the same Elzetta every day. And other than the Cerakote it’s been flawless. A different level of quality than any other I’ve used.

Name:  1C36B63D-E608-4BD0-8406-087E08DD7445.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  1.47 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's 2018, if it doesn't charge via USB it's outdated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    This knuckle dragger has put out a few lights with his prized D cell maglite.
    We can send you to Alaska to collect baby seal furs for us. LOL!

Other than that I have been extremely busy lately. No real chance to sort through my options or even really think about it too much at all.

Keep all the input rolling dudes. From what it sounds like I have several solid options out there that don't fall into the POS category.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Ohhhh. Yet another one to throw into the mix. Good! Good!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    If I could get that in addition to the other stuff=Awesome.

That said I have an actual converter dual plug outlet in my car so I could like I said carry spares in the car to be charged as needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Flashlights that see regular use all have rechargeable batteries, but no charge ports other than Streamlight Stinger wall charger contacts. The only light with a charge port is a Surefire Sidekick keychain light. Seems like it's the only one that usually doesn't have a fully charged battery. Go figure...

Surefire doesn't provide a cover for the port. What's up with that? I found micro covers at a place called Mouser Electronics. Unlike Hong Kong covers on e-bay, Mouser port covers stay in place... and that's an issue for a keychain light that gets knocked around a lot. Same remarkable performance as the Titan Plus with Maxvision. Since the battery isn't user replaceable and the Surefire warranty is only one year, I consider the Sidekick disposable. Kinda big. I can't think of many reasons to recommend it.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 26 July 2018 at 06:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly I’ve been disappointed with the rechargeable batteries performance. Other than the initial lumens they just always seem to die fast and really suffer in the cold temps. Pretty poor recharge times just compound the issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on what batteries the light will accommodate.

My Malkoff MD2 will operate on standard CR123, rechargeable CR123 or rechargeable 18650. This runtime graph shows standard CR123 with superior runtimes compared to rechargeable CR123, but the 18650 rechargeable is far superior to standard CR123 runtimes.... still operating at 50% output while the CR123 is long dead.

A lot depends on the light and intended use, but comparing standard batteries to rechargeable is difficult unless you toss standard batteries in the garbage after every use. Otherwise, you've got a flashlight with only partial capacity batteries for next use, and the next... whereas the rechargeable can be fully charged and ready to go every day. Though, rechargeable capacity shrinks with repeated charging over time.

Tiran Plus runtimes.

This is Medium output that I use most all the time. Yes, the Lithium AAA (blue) operates at the same output for a few minutes longer than the rechargeable AAA (green), but after I used the flashlight for a bit I would then have a flashlight with inferior capacity for the remaining 80% of the life of the Lithium for following uses compared to rechargeable.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 26 July 2018 at 09:03.