Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In real world use rechargeable batteries are a gimmick. I don’t have the time or inclination to recharge a battery every use. Some days I use my light 25 times and sometimes I won’t touch it for weeks. The rechargeables after extended down times are dying within minutes. Their long term storage is poor. I carry a single cell light and 3 CR123’s and have never needed anymore in a day. When I used the bored Elzetta with the 18650, more often than not the battery was exhausted within minutes of use. The longer it sat the faster it died. Realizing that recharging it when it was only partially discharged but already dimming did nothing but cause it to hold a charge less and less. I’d imagine their poor day to day performance is why reputable manufacturers still do not recommend the rechargeables in life critical situations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the intent is to have a light on your person most of the time, having charging capability isn't necessarily all that helpful. I don't live my life in a car with ready access to a charger. For the last 8 years, I've had a SF E-2DL-R2-D2 (or whatever the hell it's called) in my uniform and it would get used all the time, but never in a way it that would allow it to always be charged. If instead, I could just quickly put a new set of 123 batteries in and move on, it was far more effective.

If you operate in an environment where the light can sit next to you on the charger and all you have to do is grab it (kind of like handheld radios that sit in a charger), then I can see the value, but that wasn't something that every really presented itself as an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    If the intent is to have a light on your person most of the time, having charging capability isn't necessarily all that helpful. I don't live my life in a car with ready access to a charger. For the last 8 years, I've had a SF E-2DL-R2-D2 (or whatever the hell it's called) in my uniform and it would get used all the time, but never in a way it that would allow it to always be charged. If instead, I could just quickly put a new set of 123 batteries in and move on, it was far more effective.

If you operate in an environment where the light can sit next to you on the charger and all you have to do is grab it (kind of like handheld radios that sit in a charger), then I can see the value, but that wasn't something that every really presented itself as an option.
    But you do sleep right? Charging a flashlight overnight isn't exactly hard.

I've tried rechargable batteries for flashlights all garbage.

My streamlight ds HL led is rechargeable I charge it in my car during day shift a few days ahead of night shift. Never had an issue.

I carried the protac hl usb for a while and I've not found any serious issues with it. It will out last a similar surefire light with standard cr123 batteries.
    Only reason I switch to the EDCL2-T is because I wanted to use it for a review. It's already not that great of a light as the protac hl usb.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But then I have to remember to grab it. I also have to remember to charge it, and if I end up not using it for a while, I may not know it's time to charge. My personal "kit," if you will, was set up so that everything was always in my flight gear and I could grab it and walk out the door (minus keys and wallet). For my next job, the requirement is to be gone in 10 minutes, even in the middle of the night. I just don't trust myself to have that mental ability to remember to grab it.

You have a system, and it works for you, so I get why you're saying what you're saying. I'm just arguing that rechargeable isn't necessarily THE definitive answer, as always, it's based on use-case.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find rechargeables are quite useful for patrol work. Mainly because I have a charger mounted in the car, and always have a backup light.

EDC, I like the AA batteries personally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting inferior performance of Elzetta with whatever 18650 used.

The 18650 Keepower 3500 mAh Japanese made cell and protection circuit is the only 18650 Malkoff sells. Performance in my Malkoff MD2 after weeks of storage is consistent with runtime graphs posted. Doesn't suffer any significant parasitic drain as the inferior performance described with the Elzetta/18650. While I haven't measured it, I guess it would be consistent with generally expected 1-2% a month. Extreme cold can affect the performance of rechargeable, but the climate here in Tennessee is mild so that's not an issue.

There's a lot of different quality batteries sold, and not all flashlights digest them well. Surefire has suffered issues with their new "Dual Fuel" lights failing with other brand 18650 batteries. Surefire offered steep discounts to purchasers to replace other brand batteries with Surefire.

As far as daily carry for this Average Joe, rechargeable batteries aren't such an overly burdensome task as some might believe. My small Panasonic wall charger accomodates 4 eneloop pro AAA or AA batteries at a time. I use a small battery carrier and rotate from left to right as batteries are exchanged. When I get the the fourth/last charged battery I just slip the other four discharged batteries into the charger. That's it. I've never timed it, but to insert 4 batteries into the wall charger probably takes upwards of 5-10 seconds. Hey, I'm a busy guy in the "real world" . My nighttime (dog walk) rechargeable is a Streamlight Stinger DS HPL. It conveniently hangs in it's own wall charger cradle next to the back door where I grab it on my way out. Always fully charged and ready to go right where I need it. Perfect.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 26 July 2018 at 13:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol @ average joe / burdensome.

It's hard to plug your flashlight into your car charger when you are driving *once* every three weeks or so? You do it with your phone every single day probably?

It's simply something you need to think about doing and not be lazy about it. Not rocket surgery.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You do it with your phone every single day probably?
    You mean those gimmick rechargeable battery smartphones?

I refuse to buy another iPhone until they come out with the iPhone Alkaline.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    You mean those gimmick rechargeable battery smartphones?

I refuse to buy another iPhone until they come out with the iPhone Alkaline.
    well there is your problem, android is your salvation...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve never seen a quality light with a USB port so are you guys using a stand alone charger or such light duty use the toys with USB’s are holding up?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

It's hard to plug your flashlight into your car charger when you are driving *once* every three weeks or so? You do it with your phone every single day probably?

It's simply something you need to think about doing and not be lazy about it. Not rocket surgery.
    Again, not everyone's uses are the same. I don't live and die by my phone. When I come home, I may not touch it again until I leave. And even then, I may forget it (rare, but it happened just today for no reason I can explain). You have a solution that works for you. I have a solution that works for me. Mine just involves throwing a light into <insert mode of transportation> and not worrying about it while using conventional batteries.

lol @ average joe / burdensome.
    Really? Maybe I am misunderstanding your comment, but please don't equate what I did to average joe.

Mildly Related Fun fact: on my last deployment, I was constantly harassed by the IT people because I would plug my issued Blackberry POS phone into the USB port of the computer (which is very much forbidden) because there weren't enough plugs in the room. That's how useless USB charging would have been to me during that timeframe.

Again, different uses for different people.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I spent my battery budget putting up a fence. Walking a dog...LMAO That’s what those city people do with their reflective vests on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I spent my battery budget putting up a fence. Walking a dog...LMAO That’s what those city people do with their reflective vests on.
    It's dark out here in the country with no street lights.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I’ve never seen a quality light with a USB port so are you guys using a stand alone charger or such light duty use the toys with USB’s are holding up?
    Well... the light typically won't have a stand alone charger, that's the point. Using a standard charge cable, any powered USB port will charge the battery in the flashlight... computer, USB wall outlet charger, battery power pack, car charger....

Downloads
    Uploads
    you can reference this post - http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/11/streaml...ac-hl-usb.html - as to what I am referring to.

It has a micro USB plug and works just fine on a single charge, even for duty use.

If you go out of your way to not keep your tools working (that especially includes a charged phone) that completely your problem and no one else.

Not having a charged phone is like walking around with a pistol that only has half the magazine filled with ammo.

When you need to use your phone, it should work, and if you are somewhere you may need to use it for a prolonged period of time then you should be able to do so without any such issues of it not being charged.

Flashlights are no different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Interesting inferior performance of Elzetta with whatever 18650 used.

The 18650 Keepower 3500 mAh Japanese made cell and protection circuit is the only 18650 Malkoff sells. Performance in my Malkoff MD2 after weeks of storage is consistent with runtime graphs posted. Doesn't suffer any significant parasitic drain as the inferior performance described with the Elzetta/18650. While I haven't measured it, I guess it would be consistent with generally expected 1-2% a month. Extreme cold can affect the performance of rechargeable, but the climate here in Tennessee is mild so that's not an issue.

There's a lot of different quality batteries sold, and not all flashlights digest them well. Surefire has suffered issues with their new "Dual Fuel" lights failing with other brand 18650 batteries. Surefire offered steep discounts to purchasers to replace other brand batteries with Surefire.
    I've got to agree with Phil on this one regarding battery quality and apparent parasitic discharge by the Elzetta. I use a Surefire Peacekeeper P1R with a tailswitch swapped out for a clicky-type carried on my belt, and use almost it every day for varying periods of time. Maybe once every two weeks I notice it getting weaker, and I swap it out for a charged spare I carry in the cruiser. Never noticed an appreciable loss from sitting unused, either in the flashlight or in the duty bag.

For a light that might get used once a year or so (like in my personal car's console) I've got one of Gene Malkoff's older model lights with 2 CR123 batteries in it.