Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,799
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Interesting read on gun grease vs. gun oil

    So this wasn't information I had really been looking for, but I stumbled across a gun grease called Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm over on Forward Controls web store. Not being familiar with this product I decided to look into it.

    Wow. Not many places lay out the info and science like Cherry Balmz does. It's a bit of a long read (several pages if you decide to read through it all), but I found it both interesting and enlightening. Thought I'd share for those of you interested.

    https://www.cherrybalmz.com/educate-...lf-the-science
    -One Nation, Under God

    -"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    So this wasn't information I had really been looking for, but I stumbled across a gun grease called Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm over on Forward Controls web store. Not being familiar with this product I decided to look into it.

    Wow. Not many places lay out the info and science like Cherry Balmz does. It's a bit of a long read (several pages if you decide to read through it all), but I found it both interesting and enlightening. Thought I'd share for those of you interested.

    https://www.cherrybalmz.com/educate-...lf-the-science
    I began using it from the get-go on a new Benelli M4 Entry gun. Wear to the cam pin is significantly reduced compared to G96 Synthetic on my last Benelli M4 (a fullsize, but I figure they both beat it up the same as they both cycle the same low-brass ammo). The rails also look good. I've become a fan.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    518
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    That was a very good read, and making me rethink the whole ‘no grease on AR’s’ thing
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    684
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks Aragorn for pointing me in the direction of something new to help with my GAS
    Gear
    Acquisition
    Syndrome

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East of Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    211
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Totally agree with their statements regarding the inherent contradictions of a CLP...I'm arguing that very topic with an (ex-army) range officer I work with as we revamp our rifle policy & procedures.

    I ordered the "Buy 5" deal to try. As I don't have any bolt action rifles, I'd be happy to send the "Bolt balm" to someone who does to see what they think. Just PM me. First come, first serve.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Unfree State (MD)
    Posts
    2,593
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    No stated temp range for the normal grease and a cold weather formula? Yeah, I’ll pass on that. Paid the price of a ruined hunting trip from Frog Lube freezing up.

    At least they are telling you initially they have an inferior product that needs multiple formulas to handle temp extremes. FL denied it was an issue until they release the extreme.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,911
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    I am not the only nerd here! LOL!!!!

    Seriously though, I read the article and I found it very interesting and very well thought out. The author sounds like he's put actual thought into the product and it's reasoning, not just some marketing gimmick.

    I am just about tempted to try some of this stuff out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,799
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    No stated temp range for the normal grease and a cold weather formula? Yeah, Iíll pass on that. Paid the price of a ruined hunting trip from Frog Lube freezing up.

    At least they are telling you initially they have an inferior product that needs multiple formulas to handle temp extremes. FL denied it was an issue until they release the extreme.
    So what's the superior ultra lube you use?

    I'm gonna give some of this a shot but the go to for me has been Umbrella's Unicorn lube, which I've liked better than my previous favorite Slip 2000.

    ETA: I've emailed Cherry Balmz about the temperature ranges. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 22 July 2018 at 13:52.
    -One Nation, Under God

    -"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,233
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Since they refer to "What happens when you fire the gun" isn't it safe to assume it's at least safe for gun operating temperature? You can smoke anything, depending where you put the lube. I've been a fan of long chain polymers since PTFE and Slick 50.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,911
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    ETA: I've emailed Cherry Balmz about the temperature ranges. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.
    I emailed them too about why the rimfire stuff isn't included in the mix and match. It says it should be but it doesn't give the option in the menu.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    299
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    So what's the superior ultra lube you use?
    Since you asked... actually its called "Ultima" lube. haha.

    I don't know a damn thing about lubes so I rely on someone who manufactures guns and sells lubricants for them, Bill Wilson.
    The top temp ranges are all the same, 350. The lower temp ranges vary quite a bit from 10, 20, 40 and above 50 depending on the selection of oil or grease. Pretty mild climate here in Chattanooga. If I lived up north I might consider something different. I duknow.

    Rimefire guns? Hell, for 25 years all I used was Rem Oil (distilled cat piss) on my Rugers. One has about 70k rounds though it.

    I learned a long time ago to stay away from lube discussions... I think that's all I have to offer.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 23 July 2018 at 04:48.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,420
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    This post by Grant Cunningham is a bit of a "classic": http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

    I had to re-think lubricants when i picked up an M1 Garand which requires grease. I picked up a small tub of Lubriplate SFL-0, 15 ounces for $15, which will last for a very long time. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...ease-15-oz-tub

    That said, I ordered the "free" black rifle balm to try out. I have a container of Frog lube I'll never touch again if anyone wants it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    No stated temp range for the normal grease and a cold weather formula? Yeah, I’ll pass on that. Paid the price of a ruined hunting trip from Frog Lube freezing up.

    At least they are telling you initially they have an inferior product that needs multiple formulas to handle temp extremes. FL denied it was an issue until they release the extreme.
    I took their Black rifle Balm down to -4 and it didn't change consistently that i could tell by touching it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
    Totally agree with their statements regarding the inherent contradictions of a CLP...I'm arguing that very topic with an (ex-army) range officer I work with as we revamp our rifle policy & procedures.

    I ordered the "Buy 5" deal to try. As I don't have any bolt action rifles, I'd be happy to send the "Bolt balm" to someone who does to see what they think. Just PM me. First come, first serve.
    Just buy all 5 BRB.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bentonville,AR
    Posts
    781
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am not the only nerd here! LOL!!!!

    Seriously though, I read the article and I found it very interesting and very well thought out. The author sounds like he's put actual thought into the product and it's reasoning, not just some marketing gimmick.

    I am just about tempted to try some of this stuff out.
    I agree. It's a very light grease with a robust and scientifically backed addpack without anything super toxic (ptfe) when combusted. No magic, just a solid product.,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •