Downloads
    Uploads

Vortex Viper PST gen II 1-6X24

If there is already a thread on this, please help me find it. I couldn't find one.

My question is, have you tried, and what do you think of the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1X6X24 scope. (MOA model)

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Disappointing. Illum is not nearly as bright as the razor. Glass isn't as good. It's a budget optic.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve held/handled/shot one. Don’t own one but I would buy one if/when in the market.

I liked the clarity of the glass, the brightness was fine but the day was about 40% overcast. The reticle/stadia were thick enough to be useful but not so thick they blocked the target in the event of a “precision” shot that’s needed.

Wish it was about 4oz lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Disappointing. Illum is not nearly as bright as the razor. Glass isn't as good. It's a budget optic.
    Strike Eagles are budget optics. Those are hazy compared to this version of the PST. And of course the Razor is better...it’s like $1000 more

It’s a good option if you can’t spend $1800

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’ve held/handled/shot one. Don’t own one but I would buy one if/when in the market.

I liked the clarity of the glass, the brightness was fine but the day was about 40% overcast. The reticle/stadia were thick enough to be useful but not so thick they blocked the target in the event of a “precision” shot that’s needed.

Wish it was about 4oz lighter

Strike Eagles are budget optics. Those are hazy compared to this version of the PST. And of course the Razor is better...it’s like $1000 more

It’s a good option if you can’t spend $1800
    Honestly, The Strike Eagles have gotten better from the 1-6 to the 1-8 version, while the Viper PST's have stagnated from the 1-4 to 1-6 version. I was going to get 2 1-6x24 Vipers, but I can confirm what Slippers said, so I ended up with 2 Razors instead.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still a $700 difference. Not exactly a small jump in price. Of course you would expect more out of the higher priced optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still a $700 difference. Not exactly a small jump in price. Of course you would expect more out of the higher priced optic.
    I think the point I was trying to make is... The 1-6 PST is on par with the Strike Eagles, and should be priced as a such. It's not an $800 optic IMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think the point I was trying to make is... The 1-6 PST is on par with the Strike Eagles, and should be priced as a such. It's not an $800 optic IMHO.
    Have they started using different glass in the Strike Eagles? When I looked through them, I saw a lot of haze/fish bowl that I didn’t see in the PST II

I want to see how the similarly priced MERCON 1-6 looks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have they started using different glass in the Strike Eagles? When I looked through them, I saw a lot of haze/fish bowl that I didn’t see in the PST II

I want to see how the similarly priced MERCON 1-6 looks
    And you likely will soon.......

Yeah you're right, there is still some fish eye in the Strike Eagles... but I felt much less in the 1-8 version. The PST is not double the price better than the SE though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I'll take your word on the performance attributes, but if MSRP of $1100 is a budget scope, with a street price of $799 , I'd like to have your budget. Seriously, I can afford a 2K scope, but I don't need a 2K scope. Most of my shooting is in the 100 to 200 yard range. Hmmmm…. what to do... what to do...

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 21 July 2018 at 12:50.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Toys.

Vortex in general has a real issue with QC. They think a bulletproof warranty is better than a bulletproof optic. Top to bottom in their line IMO suffers from too many issues.

But they got a hell of a warranty dept. Just ask everyone who’s owned one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    They think a bulletproof warranty is better than a bulletproof optic..
    And there's the truth bomb.

You keep hearing about Vortex's legendary warranty, because it's being used a lot.

Honestly, the only Vortex optics I'd buy are Razors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    And there's the truth bomb.

You keep hearing about Vortex's legendary warranty, because it's being used a lot.

Honestly, the only Vortex optics I'd buy are Razors.
    O.K. then tell me about a Razor.....QC issues? - Performance?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    O.K. then tell me about a Razor.....QC issues? - Performance?

FT
    I have no doubt that someone, somewhere, has had an issue with a Razor 1-6. But overall, they're bombproof, optical clarity is awesome, and the dot is super-bright. But they are heavy. Add all that up into your personal equation.

Disclaimer: I don't own one, but I've used one several times and they're not to be dismissed, especially if you're a 100-200y shooter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I'll take your word on the performance attributes, but if MSRP of $1100 is a budget scope, with a street price of $799 , I'd like to have your budget. Seriously, I can afford a 2K scope, but I don't need a 2K scope. Most of my shooting is in the 100 to 200 yard range. Hmmmm…. what to do... what to do...

FT
    It's far too expensive for what you get. Obviously the price isn't really the budget realm, but the quality is, in my opinion.

I'm an optic snob through and through. I also get a lot of high end optics for far below market price, so I can satisfy my snobbiness. But even at my price, I wouldn't keep the PST gen 2 1-6.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with UW.....Razor is the only Vortex I have and no issues. I have the E version so it’s a bit lighter. You can get them on sale around 1100-1200 if you look around.